Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this bike I drained the battery by leaving the key turned on I was rushing to go to work finding how to take the seat off and the side cover to find the battery and whatnot and by doing so what I'm asking is all of a sudden nice look down and I see that I'm dripping radiator fluid everywhere is there something that I could have messed up messing with the seat and the side cover?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After draining my battery by leaving the key turned on I rushed to take off the seat and take off the panels trying to find the battery once I found it I noticed that all of a sudden I'm leaking radiator fluid is there something that I could have done like pulling a hose or something while taking the seat off and side panels?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it possible you pulled loose the coolant overflow hose? If I’m ever in a jam I search YouTube for solutions, someone usually has a solution there. Hope you find it and get back to riding!

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,604 Posts
There is a small pipe between the cylinders which have O"rings on them. Check the little pipe to see if that is where your leak is. Search this site for the best way to repair it. There are some great tips on how to change the O"rings without engine disassembly if that is the issue. Check your water pump hoses also. You could have a loose hose clamp.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,063 Posts
Probably the reservoir tank has an issue with one or the other hose or maybe cracked. That's the only coolant in that area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys you know I searched and been searching on YouTube and I cannot find anyone to show me or show how to tighten up the holes radiator hose the bottom one that's why I think it's sneaking once it gets daylight I'm going to go out and confirm try to tighten it I just don't know how I'm going to get in there to do it the screw on the clamp is put on the wrong way or it seems like it is seems like a hard spot to get anything in there to tighten it

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,659 Posts
If it is a spring clamp sometime just rotating it around will give a new squeeze on thicker hose areas. Or take it off and put on a screw type clamp.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How do you get to the bottom radiator hose to tighten it ?
Hey Gabriel,

Is there any chance you could take a pic of the hose in question and put it in a post?

I read your question/reply in the other thread, and am slightly confused about which bottom radiator hose you are talking about. In the other post you typed, you said the hose started leaking after you removed the seat and side cover.

The lower radiator hose runs from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump inlet that is behind the left side lower frame rail. A flat blade screwdriver or 7mm socket is all that is needed to tighten the clamp that holds that hose to the radiator and the water pump inlet. I mention this because the lower radiator hose is not anywhere close to the seat or side cover.

Is there any chance you are talking about the short piece of coolant hose that attaches from the water pump discharge pipe to the lower backside of the rear cylinder? If yes, then the easiest way to tighten the clamp at the bottom of that hose is to first remove the lower left side crankcase chrome cover. The chrome cover has 2 spring clips behind the top section (maybe 6 " apart) and one 10mm nut in the center bottom that have to be removed before the cover will come off. With the clips removed and the 10mm nut removed you have to tug on the cover side to side to disengage the retention pins from the rubber grommets that they seat in. Once removed, it makes it easier to tighten the hose clamp.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Gabriel,

Is there any chance you could take a pic of the hose in question and put it in a post?

I read your question/reply in the other thread, and am slightly confused about which bottom radiator hose you are talking about. In the other post you typed, you said the hose started leaking after you removed the seat and side cover.

The lower radiator hose runs from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump inlet that is behind the left side lower frame rail. A flat blade screwdriver or 7mm socket is all that is needed to tighten the clamp that holds that hose to the radiator and the water pump inlet. I mention this because the lower radiator hose is not anywhere close to the seat or side cover.

Is there any chance you are talking about the short piece of coolant hose that attaches from the water pump discharge pipe to the lower backside of the rear cylinder? If yes, then the easiest way to tighten the clamp at the bottom of that hose is to first remove the lower left side crankcase chrome cover. The chrome cover has 2 spring clips behind the top section (maybe 6 " apart) and one 10mm nut in the center bottom that have to be removed before the cover will come off. With the clips removed and the 10mm nut removed you have to tug on the cover side to side to disengage the retention pins from the rubber grommets that they seat in. Once removed, it makes it easier to tighten the hose clamp.

John
That's it right there but I seem to have fixed it now clamp on that hose was very loose I tightened it up and I'm good to go bikes running like a champ LOL thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Gabriel,

John
Thanks the clamp was loose

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts