Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda shadow 1990 vt1100
Okay first off everything has been done to the bike. I got carbs rebuilt by a local mechanic replaced fuel line and fuel pump. Replaced air filter, changed oil and changed plugs. The bike has to set for awhile before being started again.... I will get the bike about two blocks time from the house and im not driving aggressively but im getting it about 50 mph then it wants to run really lean and it dies. Oh i have had my times that I've pushed it home!!! I need help. I wanna say the float in the carb is sticking what do i dooooo.........

·
Registered
292 Posts
How good is that local mechanic with carbs? Some just have ‘the touch’. I completely rebuilt two and, on one, a float STILL seems to stick! You might have to go into them again to be sure. Could it be an electrical ignition component failing when heated up? On my ‘83 750, it would die after being run for a while, only if someone was sitting on the pillion seat, which is where the two ignition boxes are.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
A good carb guy is like a trustworthy accountant when you are rich AF... difficult to find at best. Rebuilding and getting it started is one thing.... running reliably is the end all and be all.
I can rebuild and get a set of bike carbs running... but getting them down and tight for everything is a “touch” I don’t have down.
Go through them. Ask around... I found my local carb whisperer... let me tell you... I went back to stock jets with a Bean box mod and straight pipes... Lucille has never run so good!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Or just go talk to him. Ask him what might cause the bike to run out of fuel, if that’s what you think is happening. One thing to try that seems to be a recurring theme is to pop the fuel cap and see what happens. If the tank vent is clogged, the engine can starve for fuel because of the vacuum created in the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts