Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pics on where they put all the wires that are under the seat on early model shadows? I took off the rear fender of my 83 750 and just have a mess of wires. I shortened the stock seat and have most of them crammed underneath it, but i've been having some electrical problems lately, not sure if they are related, but i'm sure it's not helping. My biggest issue is where to put the spark units. I was able to get one of them under the right side cover, but I put the other in an area that wasn't the greatest and left it exposed, see below. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you are going for the totally fender-less look then the only other place (and what others seem to have done) is to pull your air box. Unfortunately this could lead to a whole’nother set of problems. However others that have successfully done this and can better help you than I.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
on my 98 T there is a Spot for the tool kit under the right hand side panel. I removed the tool kit and have some relays and associated wiring in there. I works pretty well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about fabricating a simple box cover that looks like a frame extention?
That's what i was thinking of doing, or maybe using one of those round toolbags that are normally on the forks behind the seat and putting them in there. Seems whatever I do i'll never be able to hose it down to wash it. :sad:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm just spitballing here, and unfortunately do not have my stock seat here anymore to see if it is dimensionally possible, but could you maybe have enough room under your seat if you cut out two perfect sized squares from the under-side of your seat pan and recessed a partial hole to give you just enough clearance? Without ruining the structural integrity of the seat pan (or perhaps gusseting it if need be). They would be safe(er) there. Sorta like this:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm Just spitballing here, and unfortunately do not have my stock seat here anymore to see if it is dimensionally possible, but could you maybe have enough room under your seat if you cut out two perfect sized squares from the under-side of your seat pan and recessed a partial hole to give you just enough clearance? Without ruining the structural integrity of the seat pan (or perhaps gusseting it if need be). They would be safe(er) there. Sorta like this:
I might be able to, but then I think i would be afraid of squooshing them if i have to cut through the pan and have them directly under the foam. I'm not the lightest fellow :oops:.

What did you do on your sig pic bike? I like that setup a lot!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well again I don’t have a seat pan here to look at, but the transference of weight in your pan goes to the mount or some sort of molded rest. If you could recess a hole in the “gap” area of the pan then crushing them would not come into play. That and they are in pretty strong nylon molded boxes, so I imagine they are strong enough to stand on (do not TEST! ;)). They do after all sit (stock) under the back seat (“gap”) so they are designed for some punishment.

Mine are tucked between the gap in my trailer fender and what would be the back of the reserve gas tank. Seemingly safe, although as I found out the hard way water can still get in!! :shock::shock:

·
Registered
756 Posts
sometime in the future, I am going to mod an intake and go with a single carb, toss the snorkle and airbox and mount mine in there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had an idea of maybe using an electrical box and cover to put them in and mounting under the brace I have the brake light mounted to. My bike is in the shop right now, but I will try it out when I get it home.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you get rid of the t-shapped battery and raplace with a smaller size gel, there might be some space you can use under the new battery for the CDIs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts