Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the beginning of October I was in a wreck where someone turned left into me at about 100 km/h. My gear did it's job and I came out with a blood blister on one of my fingers... but now it all needs to be replaced. Already have new chaps and am going to be getting a River Road Scout jacket but not sure what helmet to get. I know I want a modular and am wondering if anyone has recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nolan 44 is a true modular. I use that some in the summer, but my Nolan 104 is more versatile. It's a flip-up. Light, comfortable, compact when flipped up, large eye opening, internal sun screen, pin lock visor. Pin lock visor prevents fogging of visor.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
+1 on the Nolan. I had an N100 which I passed on to the wife when I got the N102. When I upgrade, it will be to another Nolan. I like the built in N-com system. I can plug in my mp3 for tunes, and It connects to my phone via bluetooth.

·
Registered
190 Posts
OK stupid question time, what is a Modular helmet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some consider a flip-up to be modular. Modular is actually something that you can change the configuration by adding or removing parts. Google the Nolan-44 as opposed to the Nolan-104 to see the difference.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
A helmet where the chin bar can be raised.. One of these..

·
Registered
607 Posts
the only advice I have is to make sure the chin bar isn't too massive or thick top to bottom (I mean like from under your nose to the bottom of the chin bar it's self).

I found that out after thinking I had stumbled across a pretty good deal, brought it, then read the reviews on it. their main fault with it I noticed as soon as I started using it. if the chin bar's too big it can block what you want to see looking right down in front of you, and in my case even little to the side.

since I have the speedo on the tank I have to focus down a little bit extra to see it (it's one thing about cruisers that I think is a bad idea). with the one I have I need to tilt my head too. even my mirrors get a little blocked if I don't make sure I have the helmet tilted down pretty good on my head. it wasn't something I was thinking about in the store buying it and just looking out through the shield.

still like the idea of a modular though. I don't care for it in tight traffic, but it's still ok otherwise. i'll eventually buy another and shop more carefully next time. just need to be aware of that while you shop.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
+1 on the Nolan. I had an N100 which I passed on to the wife when I got the N102. When I upgrade, it will be to another Nolan. I like the built in N-com system. I can plug in my mp3 for tunes, and It connects to my phone via bluetooth.
You spend some serious coin on gear smile...not a bad thing...just say'in. I believe in you get what you pay for. That N104 'with' the N-COM system is @ $550.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
You spend some serious coin on gear smile...not a bad thing...just say'in. I believe in you get what you pay for. That N104 'with' the N-COM system is @ $550.
I figure I can get by without an arm or a leg, but I better take care of the few good brain cells left in this old noggin'. A little pricey to start, but the n-com can be transferred to the next helmet. I've presently got the N-com B-1 system. It won't fit into the newer Nolan's so the next time it's gonna be a big hit to the wallet again.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
It won't fit into the newer Nolan's so the next time it's gonna be a big hit to the wallet again.
Yeah I saw the old one was discontinued. Well thanks for the recommend, I am always looking for new/better equipment. That looks like a great helmet/comm system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts