Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike last week did 105 NP now at 80mph it starts cutting in and out like a sputter like it's being fuel starved and can't get enough to go past that, however it went down to even doing that at 70 and 70 was max speed possible this was 300 miles into my 1500 trip needless to say I was really worried, the bike made it home with sometimes going 85 on accident I'd notice and lower speed immediately afraid of completely breaking whatever is wrong however it happened even as I stayed at 70 a few times, ALL other speed and rpm spu ds absolutely normal i will say my bike almost feels like its ready to shift up a gear it doesn't have about 10 mph over the final shift and that's new there's a slight new vibration in person and handlebars and then this .... I get the 5 min later check for leaks and Iv never spilled a drop of oil ever and the bottom of my crankcase in the very middle where the blocks meet has oil dripping from it now Iv hit NOTHING or dinged it, I'm terrified something is major wrong HELP

About her: 97 spirit 22k miles thermostat removed 1500 miles ago because when I bought this bike the guy who sold it too me warned me "only BC u said your new to riding if you ever see this red light come on pull over immediately or you'll fry the engine not trying to scare you or anything" he also only had the bike for 1 week b4 selling it his story is bike sat in the guy he bought it froms living room for 15 years BC sentimental value was his dads bike , he decides restore and sell it being out of work, the bike even the frame itself is flawless scratch free almost paint amazingly shiny beautiful had 18.5 k original miles he said.

So I'm driving to iowa to show my dad who rides my first bike all proud and sure enough light came on twice withen 30 miles granted first time I was doing 80 and it was 105 out but rest of trip to Iowa no light came on outside of arizona i decided to find the problem lots of research I decide to do a 3 day job and pull the thermostat to test it I feel it was o ly half open when I tested it but still wanted check it all so I pressure test the system and the cap found a few leaks under 15psi on hoses fixed them up no issues with getting hot or smelling a coolant type odor when looking at my bike after I'd ride even 2 miles I know I need to put a new therm in but is all the above issues caused by running my engine without proper temp BC no therm or do I have other issues ? Bad carbs ? Outside appear to be really gummy but overall long long post BC my main fear the oil leak off bottom its obviously eternal leak I fear even though all speeds but 75 smooth as Hell besides slight new vibration that my engine maybe the idiot b4 me really toasted it and that's why he sold it so fast but she's now ran 4000 miles since I bought her easy 2500 or so since this man barrage of trouble I'm new to this so any opinions at all is appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,560 Posts
Do a "guide plug repair" search in that box at the top of the page. May be what you're looking at as far as an oil leak. A lot of guys have done it.

·
Premium Member
7,560 Posts
In thinking further on this, i believe i may have misdirected you. I believe it was the Shadow Ace with the single pin crank that had the guide plug issue. I just reread your post and see you have the Spirit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gravity brings oil from a leak to the bottom of the engine and riding it blows that oil back on the engine.
Follow the oil UP from the drip to find the leak.

Me, I clean the oil off the engine and once it has dried, spray the suspect leak area with cheap powdered deoderant.
The powder will dry as a white film that will turn brown at the leak sight when the engine is run for a while (not ridden).
jmo,
:)

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,674 Posts
I agree clean off the engine and place paper towel under to see if still leaking.
I would address 1 issue at a time:
1. New thermosatat and rad cap and coolant If you were overheating your oil could be foaming:
2. Pull off the tank and check the crankcase breather tube goes from crankcase up to a small plastic box in front of the air filter and then down.under engine via a capped tube. Check that there is no oil in there. If so it was likely from an overfill or foamed due to overheating. Empty the container and the tube and make sure air cleaner housing is clean,
3. Check oil level correctly.
That may solve all the problems but carbs may be next.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I feel dumb but I'd feel even dumber if I didn't expose myself!

Thank you all for your tips before I got to reading these I went out in dark and a light to inspect better and was able trace oil too the dip stick the chrome dip stick I believe rattled free! My oil level still favors the top line so couldn't have been too much oil lost god I'm so happy I found that!

My radiator cap I pressure tested it was 1.1 bar and held 16 pounds pressure I did the same to radiator and traced several hoses only under pressure would leak slightly that fixed all overheating issues I don't believe my oil got that hot to foam I didn't physically see any evidence of that although I know that doesn't give me a tale the whole story inside! However I pulled it over immediately when I seen light flash and then 5 min later was able start bike and run 30 more b4 climbing hills and happened again but that's gone now!

I believe I also found my power issue !! I changed my spark plugs to e3 (my dad helped and did it) and I noticed on the right front plug the boot doesn't fit all the way down and over the plug I can still see say inch and a half 2 inches of plug after the spark plug wire is fully pushed on it and it does appear to be slightly oily?

As for carbs that's a strong suspision as well I'm very new too this however the look tells me PLEASE CLEAN NOW am I wrong ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plug does feel like it fully engaged and snaps into the socket but it doesn't look right too me and I am thinking this is the cause of max speed from 105 too 85 and 75 at times with the sputtering and no other issues besides slightly new vibration and a little power loss all together as a whole

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv actually put seafoam In the oil for 200 miles then did a oil change, Iv also ran a whole can through between 2 and a half gas tanks! I assumed carbs would be cleaned inside did some reading why there's oil on outside in first place I'll admit I probably lightly overfilled her my first time adding oil to a motorcycle I'm going to get the electric diode (sp) gel or w.e and see if that fixes my problems like I'm very confident it will if not I'll replace they plug wire

·
Registered
465 Posts
Was told by guy who sold me the bike "was 100 percent restored " it was oil scratch and defect free when he rolled up couldn't help but believe his story
Most sellers are always hiding something. In a lot of the cases, “Then why are you getting rid of the bike?” ;) Seafoam in the oil won’t get through to your carbs. You’d need to mix it with the fuel.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,304 Posts
Most sellers are always hiding something. In a lot of the cases, “Then why are you getting rid of the bike?” ;) Seafoam in the oil won’t get through to your carbs. You’d need to mix it with the fuel.
Especially when the guy he bought it from had only bought the bike a week before he sold it, and in that one week span did a "100% restoration".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Especially when the guy he bought it from had only bought the bike a week before he sold it, and in that one week span did a "100% restoration".
No the restore was told too me too be done b4 HE bought it his claim was he wanted a Harley why was selling I was cautious with the plan too just fox whatever was wrong too make him dump it since I'm on unemployment making a pretty penny every week it was kinda a this bikes beautiful and what I want thing

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I keep laughing whenever I see your profile pic for some reason.
I'm unaware how too change my picture, it automatically used my mma Facebook profile picture, I find it a little strange another man would laugh at another man's accomplishments in health and exercise and a mma career but too each their own !

I like to fight work on bikes ride bikes and exercise ..... My life my enjoyment my health I thought we was all "brothers" and in it together not here to poke fun or laugh at someone else's expense!
I'll still show my respect regardless! Envy is a #&@% keep em upright my "brother" in Michigan

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,304 Posts
I'm unaware how too change my picture, it automatically used my mma Facebook profile picture, I find it a little strange another man would laugh at another man's accomplishments in health and exercise and a mma career but too each their own !

I like to fight work on bikes ride bikes and exercise ..... My life my enjoyment my health I thought we was all "brothers" and in it together not here to poke fun or laugh at someone else's expense!
I'll still show my respect regardless! Envy is a #&@% keep em upright my "brother" in Michigan
OK... ;)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
A lot of us older guys may be laughing because instead of a tight 6 pack we are carrying around a pony keg. :(
Yes i admit it.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore
1 - 20 of 60 Posts