Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
IDC what a fellow biker looks like there's gonna come a day I look the same !
I see a fellow rider and show my respect regardless man woman young old fat skinny, keep em upright and enjoy the ride brothers

P.s i thew my hand in sign respect fellow rider today in instinct then noticed she was about 80 with a bandana straight rocking it! Loved that #%@$! If you ride you got my respect not distane

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
Solved!

Went and bought NGK plugs and immediately every symptoms gone back to 105 with ease, no vibration no sputtering at 85 running like she's on her first mile off the dealer floor! Super happy I'll never use those E3 or a aftermarket plug again!
You are blaming E3 (and I am not a fan of E3 since you cannot gap) but to me it looks like one of the E3 you installed was not installed correctly. Can you post a pic of the E3s you removed? Part number?

Also I would not use any aftermarket additive in the oil system. (Actually I would use no aftermarket additive anywhere except stabilizer for long term storage.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You are blaming E3 (and I am not a fan of E3 since you cannot gap) but to me it looks like one of the E3 you installed was not installed correctly.
(All 4 E3 looked pretty charred and used for only being 2 thousand miles maybe that's normal I'm new too this however all 4 came out with what seemed normal motion no weird thread damage and all seemed tight! My dad who's a mechanic himself or was back in the day you know what I mean did the change

"Can you post a pic of the E3s you removed? Part number?"

Got tossed in garbage man just wanted put new ones in and test it out!

Also I would not use any aftermarket additive in the oil system. (Actually I would use no aftermarket additive anywhere except stabilizer for long term storage.)
I'm a huge fan of sea foam through they engine sweater by it in my cars and situational of course if there's carbon building up and the foam removes it you'll be #&@%$ but with it being in Preston's (hopefully) shape I'm hoping regulate every few tanks little foam (in gas only) could be a great thing for my insides and carbs, if im wrong correct me I'm all about learning! And having SAA something function the way it should everywhere so it lasts

P.s my dad said the same about seafoam through the oil DONT even though he swears by it in the gas aswell, where I learned it years ago on my Oldsmobile beater

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,261 Posts
I'm a huge fan of sea foam through they engine sweater by it in my cars and situational of course if there's carbon building up and the foam removes it you'll be #&@%$ but with it being in Preston's (hopefully) shape I'm hoping regulate every few tanks little foam (in gas only) could be a great thing for my insides and carbs, if im wrong correct me I'm all about learning! And having SAA something function the way it should everywhere so it lasts

P.s my dad said the same about seafoam through the oil DONT even though he swears by it in the gas aswell, where I learned it years ago on my Oldsmobile beater
Well, everyone has an opinion so I'll throw mine in the mix. I treat every single gallon of gas in all my bikes (currently 6 plated and insured as of last week, since I just sold one).

For every tank I use, I put in 1 ounce of "Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner", and 1 ounce of SeaFoam. I buy the Lucas by the gallon at the autoparts store for around $25, and the Seafoam I buy by the case off of Amazon for about $7.00 per can.

Works for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For every tank I use, I put in 1 ounce of "Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner", and 1 ounce of seafoam

I really appreciate this tip and sounds legit to me adding it too my routine

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
...For every tank I use, I put in 1 ounce of "Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner", and 1 ounce of SeaFoam. I buy the Lucas by the gallon at the autoparts store for around $25, and the Seafoam I buy by the case off of Amazon for about $7.00 per can....
The problem I have with using an aftermarket additive is that the 7 billion dollars Honda spends on R & D and the thousands of mechanical, chemical, metallurgical engineers and tribologists have no idea what you are dumping into your fuel tank and engine and no way to test for it. Your engine was definitely not designed to use anything other than the recommended fuel.

Next we have the thousand petroleum engineers who are developing additives that are blended in your fuel as per specs developed alongside the Honda engineers in order to keep your engine clean and prevent problems.

So we have all that research and development to optimize the fuel and then people dump in an additive created for 2 stroke outboards sold by a 50? person company in Chaska Minnesota. I tried to find out the R&D budget for SeaFoam but there isnt one. The company CEO is a lawyer, VP Ops is a retired law enforcement and the Technical Director is a mechanic who graduated from the Automotive Technician 2 year course at a 1500 student college in 1972.

Seafoam may not harm your engine, however since there is no way to determine the interaction between whatever Seafoam is and the additives included in gasoline I dont use it. My advice and the advice of the Honda is to use a Top Tier fuel and follow the recommended service intervals.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The problem I have with using an aftermarket additive is that the 7 billion dollars Honda spends on R & D and the thousands of mechanical, chemical, metallurgical engineers and tribologists have no idea what you are dumping into your fuel tank and engine and no way to test for it. Your engine was definitely not designed to use anything other than the recommended fuel.

Next we have the thousand petroleum engineers who are developing additives that are blended in your fuel as per specs developed alongside the Honda engineers in order to keep your engine clean and prevent problems.

So we have all that research and development to optimize the fuel and then people dump in an additive created for 2 stroke outboards sold by a 50? person company in Chaska Minnesota. I tried to find out the R&D budget for SeaFoam but there isnt one. The company CEO is a lawyer, VP Ops is a retired law enforcement and the Technical Director is a mechanic who graduated from the Automotive Technician 2 year course at a 1500 student college in 1972.

Seafoam may not harm your engine, however since there is no way to determine the interaction between whatever Seafoam is and the additives included in gasoline I dont use it. My advice and the advice of the Honda is to use a Top Tier fuel and follow the recommended service intervals.
I understand your point but know that the bikes we are discussing only benefited from Honda's R&D budget more than 20 YEARS ago when the fuel we use today was not even on the fuel engineer's radar back then.
Those 20-30 years old carbs were never intended to use the fuel we have today and do require some type of additve to flush out...stuff. (jmo).

So what are your thoughts on Techron, made by Chevron, and is added to the fuel Chevron sells ?
just askin'

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
So what are your thoughts on Techtron, made by Chevron, and is added to the fuel they sell ?
just askin'
I will let Chevron answer your question (and I agree):
"If you regularly use a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco and Caltex, you probably don't need Techron Concentrate Plus. However, should you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, you may need Techron Concentrate Plus to help clean up deposits that can build up over time..."

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
For every tank I use, I put in 1 ounce of "Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner", and 1 ounce of seafoam

I really appreciate this tip and sounds legit to me adding it too my routine
I just sold one of my bikes (a Suzuki Intruder VS800) to a young man who fell in love with it as soon as he saw it. I liked the kid so much that I knocked $100 off of the price. I went over the whole bike with him, told him what to pay attention to as a new owner, and told him the reason for doing everything.

When him and his buddy came to pick it up (his buddy drove it home because he was a little leery of driving in the dark), I loaded him up with goodies for it.

4 quarts of Honda GN4 oil (I have plenty of that as I also buy it by the case).
A brand new Suzuki oil filter.
Three 12 ounce mason jars filled with Luca Fuel Injector cleaner.
A brand new can of SeaFoam
A Deltron battery charger to hook into the onboard charge plug I installed on the bike.

I wrote out the directions for him on exactly how much Lucas and SeaFoam to add for each full tank he burns, and made sure he understood that if he wanted it to run like it runs now, to keep on doing the routine. The fuel systems on all my bikes are as clean as they were from the factory.

You won't go wrong.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I will let Chevron answer your question (and I agree):
"If you regularly use a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco and Caltex, you probably don't need Techron Concentrate Plus. However, should you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, you may need Techron Concentrate Plus to help clean up deposits that can build up over time..."
I have the luxury of having non-ethanol fuel available here in farm country but many in other US areas do not.
None of the Chevron stations have non-eth though, the reason I add Techron or Seafoam :eek:.
Not many, if any, motorcycles sold today are carburated (maybe dirt bikes), that I know of, and the reason I use an additive.
...in my lawnmower/leafblower/edger/pressurer washer/anything with a carb/as well as my MC.
jmo,
:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
This guy tested Seafoam/Techron/Marvel Mystery Oil head to head.
A whole host of stuff tested there, don't go there unless you have some time to kill..

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,949 Posts

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
...Those 20-30 years old carbs were never intended to use the fuel we have today and do require some type of additve to flush out...stuff. (jmo)...
Blended fuel additives are a result of a joint effort between engine manufacturers research (ie Honda) into improving engine performance and longevity, and petroleum scientist/engineers (ie Chevron)
The precursor to Techron was called F-310 and released in 1970. Techron was under full development by 1979 and released in 1981 into Chevron unleaded fuels and included in all Chevron fuel products by 1995 and certified Top Tier in 2004. The Techron formula did not require modification to become Top Tier Certified.

So basically the blended additive fuel has been known by Honda since about 1980.

Here is some info about the Chevron labs:
RICHMOND TECHNOLOGY CENTER
• 1,200 people onsite
• 1.2 million square feet
• 36 buildings on 31 acres
• More than 170 PhDs

As mentioned: no one has tested the resultant concoction when mixing whatever Seafoam is with a specific blended fuel. It is very possible that the aftermarket additive can counteract the blended additives and negate their properties. To me its like picking up an unlabelled bottle at the supermarket and adding that to my coffee... or beer.
But if you believe the Seafoam Petroleum Engineering is superior to Honda and Chevron Engineering then ...

PS I cannot find any technical papers put out by Seafoam Engineering, I can't even find their lab !!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Blended fuel additives are a result of a joint effort between engine manufacturers research (ie Honda) into improving engine performance and longevity, and petroleum scientist/engineers (ie Chevron)
The precursor to Techron was called F-310 and released in 1970. Techron was under full development by 1979 and released in 1981 into Chevron unleaded fuels and included in all Chevron fuel products by 1995 and certified Top Tier in 2004. The Techron formula did not require modification to become Top Tier Certified.

So basically the blended additive fuel has been known by Honda since about 1980.

Here is some info about the Chevron labs:
RICHMOND TECHNOLOGY CENTER
• 1,200 people onsite
• 1.2 million square feet
• 36 buildings on 31 acres
• More than 170 PhDs

As mentioned: no one has tested the resultant concoction when mixing whatever Seafoam is with a specific blended fuel. It is very possible that the aftermarket additive can counteract the blended additives and negate their properties. To me its like picking up an unlabelled bottle at the supermarket and adding that to my coffee... or beer.
But if you believe the Seafoam Petroleum Engineering is superior to Honda and Chevron Engineering then ...

PS I cannot find any technical papers put out by Seafoam Engineering, I can't even find their lab !!
Wow, OK
Looks like you did a lot of research to support your view of some engine additives, I'm impressed.

I will assume that info to be true, but I'll still be using Seafoam though, based on my experience with it, and what I've read/seen in reviews/tests/vids.
So that about covers this subject for me, and I won't be posting anymore on this subject, in this thread.
OP: sorry for the drift,

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
... based on my experience with it, and what I've read/seen in reviews/tests/vids.
Ok. Please let me know if you find ANY science-based reviews/tests/vids or technical papers so I can fire the 1200 staff at Chevrons research lab because they are really expensive as compared to Seafoam's reliance on marketing hype and internet testing vids.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Wow, OK
Looks like you did a lot of research to support your view of some engine additives, I'm impressed.

I will assume that info to be true, but I'll still be using Seafoam though, based on my experience with it, and what I've read/seen in reviews/tests/vids.
So that about covers this subject for me, and I won't be posting anymore on this subject, in this thread.
OP: sorry for the drift,
I literally laughed out loud like damn **** went deep science and I LOVE science buttttttttt iv had amazing results with seafoam although after watching "project farm" on youtube he will SHOW you physically the results I'm personally trying out marvel mystery oil, I am seeing a lot of oil on spark plugs I just changed 2 days ago any ideas ? I bought some new tools today battery charger tender and compression kitchen since auto zone AND orilieys only had the normal size spark plug screw oh well had 170 on the back and 160 on the front but the oil still worries me might i need too tear the valve cover off and reseal spark plug o rings and gasket?

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I literally laughed out loud like damn **** went deep science and I LOVE science buttttttttt iv had amazing results with seafoam although after watching "project farm" on youtube he will SHOW you physically the results I'm personally trying out marvel mystery oil, I am seeing a lot of oil on spark plugs I just changed 2 days ago any ideas ? I bought some new tools today battery charger tender and compression kitchen since auto zone AND orilieys only had the normal size spark plug screw oh well had 170 on the back and 160 on the front but the oil still worries me might i need too tear the valve cover off and reseal spark plug o rings and gasket?
Marvel Mystery Oil is basically transmission fluid. I've been a Tool and DieMaker for 54 years, just retired in February. Have been using transmission fluid in ALL my air tools for all 54 years. If we had Marvel, we used it because it has the same properties as transmission fluid.

Why transmission fluid? Because it's a light weight oil, and it is an EXCELLENT cleaner, and sludge remover.

Back in the old days, when we wanted to clean out a crackcase, we would fill the vehicle with either trans fluid or kerosene..... run the motor for a spell, then drain and fill with motor oil. On really bad sludged up motors we would use half a quart of transfluid added in to the regular oil changes.

The Marvel Mystery Oil is not going to do a thing for you by adding it to the fuel.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts