Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I watched a before and after with marvel oil vs seafoam opening the head and seeing what cleaned better and mmo was at least 20 percent better on carbon clean up compared to seafoam!
I am not not discrediting your obvious knowledge I do appreciate it even thank you.

Any idea why my spark plugs are dirty after only 2 days already visual amounts of oil and carbon! I wonder if I need valve adjustment or plug orings and or valve gasket replaced, compression was 160 front and 170 back any more differential i know is a issue right? Just a rookie here investigsting

I did run her for 2000 miles with e3 plugs she didn't like it at all!! I'm hoping I didn't do too much too her

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,439 Posts
Don't think about all those other things like valve covers and seals. The compression is good so concentrate on the spark plug condition and mixture. If you added a lot of Marvel to the fuel it may have added some liquid on the tips.
The E3 plugs won't hurt anything. Unless they smash into the pistons they won't do any harm.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,439 Posts
You said before that it was running great and got up to 105MPH. So what did you change to have a new problem? Maybe the adding an oil to the gas???

I KNOW, "if a little is good, TOO MUCH is better "

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The E3 was throwing sensors off or something ran like c r a p and max speed was reduced 20 25 mph all returned to nornal when i put NGK in, yes the mixture was heavy after watching a video on a engine running 100 percent seafoam figured I'd mix yea t and try get any carbon I'd built up using aftermarket plugs. Maybe you are totally correct and Iv used 2 much and its causing g the problem ! I'll physically go let you know one way or the other thanks for the advice and tips

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,439 Posts
Keep putting in more fresh gas and run it out.
What year is your bike?
It it has carbs there are no sensors and no computer for mixture adjustments.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Really appreciate your knowledge all I know is seemed like every issue I had was took care of with NGK plugs however bow to figure out why they have oil after 2 day on them hopefully its just BC have super rich mixture of mmo in the gas

She's a 97 vt11ooc

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for all the valuable knowledge I am soaking it up and very appteciative!

Bought a wire brush and carb cleaner cleaned plugs threw on anti sieze and boot connector gel on got the mmo gas out gonna run a tank clean gas from shell through her and another checking plugs after each fill up! Found why I have vibrations my front tire is cupped from a #@@%&$ pulling out the suicide lane car left lane slammed brakes swerved into my lane and left brakes on I was inches from bumped and had to pull front brake hard enough had me squiggly and sideways some instinctively I put foot down (I guess) to try stand it up? Not sure my dad says its instinct to try and stand the bike up right but any who I'm staring at his bumper and the nchs closeing in trying po ull brake hard enough not make contact and fly over handlebars (I don't wear no damn helmet not my first week riding anymore) what a rush though, I might have mma background but I was prolly chewing off more than I could when I went from dead stop to fill throttle from 1 2 3 catching up screaming pull this #%@& over right now kinda said that before I seen 3 or 4 total people in the car adrenaline was going at that point ida went john jones on them #&@%# I was hot!

Since then to be safe I did a compression test (what a pain being out plugs are different size than standard plugs and I had to buy a kit not able just orilies or auto zone loan BC needed adapter but got her tested 170 back 160 front so not terrible but I'll keep a eye on it, take any tips to improve the compresson!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bro I just watched a youtube video says the e3 could **** up sensors or some crap once I replaced with e3 those issues dissapeared couldnt help but believe that seemed logical but I believe you when you speak thanks for the information, I wonder what it was about the e3 that trashed my running system 🧐🤔 almost got all the fuel out I was gonna dump it in a parking lot and got ran off by a parking maintiance guy 😂 just diluted as hell right now and by end day all out im pretty sure she'll be alright with a new front tire and fresh plain gas ....

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,511 Posts
I honestly dont believe for a second that e3 spark plugs made your bike run crappy unless those plugs didnt fit. And by fit I am not referring to the threads Im referring to the placement of the electrode in the cylinder. There is absolutely no possibility that the plugs did any damage to your engine unless, as pointed out earlier, they hit the pistons but if that were the case youd know. I base this opinion on decades of professional mechanical experience. Ive been working on engines since I could first grip a wrench.
As far as the seafoam goes... never used the stuff myself. When my carbs are dirty I take them out and clean them.
Be careful taking advice from Youtube, most of those people are not professionals or even properly trained. There is a staggering amount of bad information out there thats based more on opinion and myths than factual knowledge.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
... threw on anti sieze and boot connector gel on got the mmo gas out gonna run a tank clean gas from shell through her and another checking plugs after each fill up!... I went from dead stop to fill throttle from 1 2 3 catching up screaming pull this #%@& over right now kinda...!
. NGK spark plugs you should not use anti-seize.
. Battling a car with a bike is a losing proposition in all cases.

Earlier I advised not using any additive in your fuel, however as you are disregarding my advice (and wondering why your new plugs are fouled) so... Good Luck. I really dislike when I spend time to provide information that then gets ignored but hopefully others will benefit.
PS If you want too see what spark plugs should look like take a look at these 24k km 6 years.
PPS No fuel or oil additives ever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
. NGK spark plugs you should not use anti-seize.
. Battling a car with a bike is a losing proposition in all cases.

Earlier I advised not using any additive in your fuel, however as you are disregarding my advice (and wondering why your new plugs are fouled) so... Good Luck.

I most definitely value your advice and tips! the MMO was ALREADY in my fuel when I'd commented about it, I absolutely will NOT be adding more as a little research tells me just use chevron gas with techron in it 91 93 grade. I'm just a rookie learning here usually the hard way but lucky I just do the **** up once and lesson learned, I'm listening closely BC it's a new passion of mine not just riding but playing kiss and tell with her mechanic wise what's wrong baby just a little game of love and war!

P.s sir I most definitely didn't want that battle they swerved into my lane and left brakes on my problem was wanting to throw down for their ignorance

Thanks again for your time and knowledge now you know and knowing is half the battle! (**** gi joe got to me there)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I honestly dont believe for a second that e3 spark plugs made your bike run crappy unless those plugs didnt fit. And by fit I am not referring to the threads Im referring to the placement of the electrode in the cylinder. There is absolutely no possibility that the plugs did any damage to your engine unless, as pointed out earlier, they hit the pistons but if that were the case youd know. I base this opinion on decades of professional mechanical experience. Ive been working on engines since I could first grip a wrench.
As far as the seafoam goes... never used the stuff myself. When my carbs are dirty I take them out and clean them.
Be careful taking advice from Youtube, most of those people are not professionals or even properly trained. There is a staggering amount of bad information out there thats based more on opinion and myths than factual knowledge.
Nowhere near my goal too frustrate you, I very much value and respect your opinions and tips and advice (especially) from master mechanics I'm just a rookie learning the ropes I don't just pick any tubes video I always reference my manual see what it says then watch others do the process my seafoam experience has always been GREAT and I watched this dudes channel on youtube project farm he isnt sponsored by any brand and compares things like seafoam vs mmo before and after of head and pistons valves and I was surprised mmo did better which led me to put it heavy in my gas 🤬

I swear it was those e3 plugs unless it was something as simple as not fully connected to boot but man it ran hard rough any faster than 70 for 1500 miles any faster risked sputtering so I just prayed shed make it home barley doing speed limit on interstates when I put NGK it was all resolved as for the oil appearance its so deceptive isn't it I had to think for a brief second and smack myself, I LOVE clean pure liquids in my ride my oil was changed b4 I got to iowa then rechanged after 2000 with filter and I'm at 2000 plus on this change and my oil is still INVISIBLE on my dip stick I use full synthetic, I mean I can guess say oil turned grimy inside engine with combustion etc but I'm just guessing and really think I found the culprat I was also smelling a gassious smell coming from near my assumed air filter box I drained (for the first time ever other checks it was bone dry) the time that had a mouthful of gas type smelling oily grime covered liquid the liquid was very viscosity watery I'm assuming and guessing it was getting too rich (half the bottle BC more is better if a little is good right 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️) and was unable burn it all and the rest was being released through that breathe tube that's attached to the hole in the bottom of my air filter, I am a rookie but I do have a passion and dedication too understand and research what why when where how I love this !
If I frustrate you that's what I do I apologize and honestly I respect your word so please continue to
comment if you see something I did wrong I will and do appreciate it I'm new but I'm learning, b4 I sign off this comment my air filter has about halfway up a distinctive all the way around it dirty appearance now it wasn't like woah that's dirty just the orange on the filter is so bright any change is drastic but I assure you its pretty thing used flashlight, I can take a pic if its needed or would you say I should research blowing out and re~oiling and using this filter which does appear pretty new and of quality

I will check my plugs after this tank is ran dry and cleaned them again run another tank through and recheck plugs for a better idea if this is fixed, I'm still suspicious like white cop on a black suspect there's a mystery here and I'm gonna solve it!

I love this **** talk to me girl how ya feeling daddy gonna fix you just right make you purrrrr...... Too think I used too need this love from a woman and its always led me to the worst parts of my life now my shadow and I got this sweet little love thing going on 🥰

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm happy to hear someone went to my posted link to Project Farm and watched some of the tests there.
Many here have made their opinions known and are not interested in any info that deviates from their perspective/conclusions.
Silly I know.

As far as those E-3 plugs are concerned, I think they have very few different plugs and the ones they have cover a broader heat range than other plugs like NGK.
So the E-3s you bought are the closest plugs E-3 makes to the NGKs they replaced, but not the exact heat range you needed, the reason the E-3s didn't work out well.
The NGKs have a more precise heat range application just because there is more of them...
jmo,
:)

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,402 Posts
I most definitely value your advice and tips! the MMO was ALREADY in my fuel when I'd commented about it, I absolutely will NOT be adding more as a little research tells me just use chevron gas with techron in it 91 93 grade. I'm just a rookie learning here usually the hard way but lucky I just do the **** up once and lesson learned, I'm listening closely BC it's a new passion of mine not just riding but playing kiss and tell with her mechanic wise what's wrong baby just a little game of love and war!

P.s sir I most definitely didn't want that battle they swerved into my lane and left brakes on my problem was wanting to throw down for their ignorance

Thanks again for your time and knowledge now you know and knowing is half the battle! (**** gi joe got to me there)
I have been using MMO in all of my small engines since the ethanol was introduced. I have only rebuilt a carb on one bike in 42,000 miles so I seem to think it works. That bike now has 47,000 miles with no engine overhaul, it is a 200cc and I run it up to 65 just to say this bike is not babied on the throttle. On my Spirit 1100 I was told when purchased the carbs needed overhauled. It had some popping and was a little jerky here and there. With the MMO in the gas regularly I have never rebuilt the carbs at all. It is running great and as the carbs were getting cleaner I have had to turn down the idle as it started revving higher. I only put the recommended amount of MMO in the fuel. I hear how great Seafoam is at over twice the price but I am surprised that most use the whole can or mix way stronger than recommended, why? I believe Seafoam is a good product but people are using way too much and spending way too much money on it. Maybe I should buy some stock in the company. I use Chemtool B12 for a cleaner if I think a carb is really dirty. I don't like tearing the bike down unless it truly has to be. I would rather ride it clean. As others have stated, top tier fuel is much better with less issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for all the knowledge and advice soaking that **** up like a sponge I promise and appreciate it! I put half the bottle in because I'm american and if a little goes a long way let's me clean that **** ugh just stupidity on my part after watching a video of engines being ran only on seafoam and mmo before and after 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I can't change my tire until monday at earliest I believe once and get a new tire on the front it will be all normal again sucks having to wait for a tire but what can I do its cupped pretty good

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
Trying to bleed the brakes has me ready to throw my $%#&@$# tools across the garage 🤬
Maybe time to start a new thread but bleeding the brakes is very simple if you use a brake bleed tool. Mine takes about 20 minutes with 2 people. $25 for the tool

Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit

Gotta go now: just found out its National Cheeseburger Day !!!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,439 Posts
This video shows a good trick about the 8 minute mark.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
This video shows a good trick about the 8 minute mark.

Its this video that frustrated me ..... I had that cable which was hard to compress in first place squeezed I'd hear air come out just nothing ever changed pressure wise in handle then the ****ing brake juice is leaking outside the tube and on the ground making a mess I'm just like **** youuuuuuuuuuuuu

41 - 60 of 60 Posts