Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! i'm pretty new to this site, just signed up as a matter of fact! i've been on here reading some of the posts and what not in the past couple of days, and some of ya'lls information has really helped me out. but, i need some advice that i can't seem to find on here yet. i'm looking at buying a 2002 honda shadow 1100 that has been bored out. i don't know exactly what it has been bored to but does this seem like a normal operation? why would someone do this? just for horsepower? with this being done, do i need to be concerned about the integrity of the engine? any help from ya'll would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Usually that is done when the engine is iether worn out (not likely on a honda unless it's gone 100k+) or it was beat on hard and run out of oil, Won't get a whole lot of gains in horsepower and most likely just has larger rings. If it was done because of lack of maintenance and getting beat on, I'd run as fast as I could from it. Most likely the rest has been just as neglected or beat, just hasn't broke yet. When I purchased mine, I had a choice of 2. A 2002 with 17000 miles or a 2001 with 28000 and a few extras on it both for the same price. Just by talking to both sellers I went right to the older one with higher miles because when I asked questions like type of oil used and maintenance done the seller of the newer bike seemed confused and was younger with that homie attitude, He was clueless about maintenence and that means he got it to be cool and didn't take care of it because he had no idea what oil he put in LOL the other seller had a detailed answer and really seemed to love his bike but was out of a job so sold it to pay bills.

Dauntae

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think I would pass on that bike. I ride a 2002 1100 spirit and it has ALL the horse power I would ever need. Sounds like someone rode it in the ground.
To many 1100's out there to buy rather than one thats been bored out.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I too have never heard of a "big bore" kit used on a metric. Now they are real popular with Harleys and I believe Coolride has installed a kit on his Sporty 883.
The intent of a Big Bore kit is to increase HP and overall power and is a rather inexpensive modification.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yes your right , I installed a 1200 kit on my 883 which good for about 20hp, but my 1200 pistons were about a 1/2 inch larger in diameter , and it's a cheap mod for a Harley. The only reason to do it in that case would be if you trashed a cylinder for some reason. O n dirt bikes you could do it real quick , but on a cruiser it would take a while even if you didn't run an airfilter, unless you lived on a dirt road. Something just doesn't sound right, that bike should run forever on the original bore. My bike still had all the cross hatch scratches from the original bore at 5k, when I went to bore for the new pistons, I felt kind of bad boring perfect cylinders. The first guy even over bored my cylinders, then I had to go even further, to 1207, and more new pistons, thankfully they took my pistons back ,and credited me for them on larger ones after they had a mile on them rattling like crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts