Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know i took a spill last July and did some serious damage to myself and the bike (2001 VLX).
I have started putting her back together with new parts that i have acquired from various places.

The damage was pretty much all front end damage and a fork replacement was necessary. Now that I have everything together, I have noticed that the neck, where the steering rod sits is twisted to the left.
Twisted enough that with the forks and tire in place ... The tire is sitting completely off center. ( I will add a picture in the next day or so )

My Dilemma ?

1) Should I take everything apart again and try to straighten the neck with A LOT of heat and a long pipe for leverage ?

2) Should i take it to a Motorcycle shop and see if anyone can fix the Neck ?

3) Should i start to dismantle and sell the parts out ?

The bike is still in EXCELLENT condition and has approx 3000 original miles on the engine.

What would you do ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
no disrepect to you at all....
I would try and find a frame.
any time a frame is dammaged, even if you fix the one peice there is a good chance something else is amiss.. and I wouldnt think it is worth getting hurt or killed over a frame your not 110% sure about.

just my .2

·
Registered
390 Posts
Be very careful. There is a lot more potentially twisted than just the steering crown. Take it to a pro with the proper tools and measuring equipment.
I rebuilt a VT800 after a serious front end accident. The frame was straightened by the motorcycle specialty shop the FRAMEMAN SHOP in Sacramento, CA. They needed the bike stripped of all parts except frame, motor, and forks. I replaced the forks. The FRAMEMAN found the backbone and the engine cradle downtubes also needed adjustment. They gave me a nice write up of before and after measurement. They pulled and pushed the frame back into factory spec. Its worth a few hundred dollars to get the frame right.
Note, the VIN goes with the frame. If you change frame or VIN you may have to re-title as a reclaimed or salvaged bike.
Good Luck,
Haze

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that most local shops here want me to strip the frame completely and the cheapest place i have found so far wants a min of $1000 to fix the frame.

The bike will retail for about $4500 CDN if i get it fixed and list it.
(Its the going rate out here)

Im just not sure its worth fixing the frame at this point....

Any idea what a bike like this spared out on eBay may generate ?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
kaz24 said:
It appears that most local shops here want me to strip the frame completely and the cheapest place i have found so far wants a min of $1000 to fix the frame.
Not counting any import or customs charges, you can buy a new frame
for an '01 VLX for about ~ $860.

Service Honda has them available.
The one I checked was an '01 VT600CD (deluxe).

If you are going to have to completely strip the frame to have it fixed,
just buy a new frame and move all your good stuff over to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.