Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August of 2006 I purchased a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe (this is my 5th motorcyle) because being older now, I thought it would be a lightweight good machine. Well...it is all that and more, but, I am not happy with it. The bike I had before that was a 2004 Suzuki 800 Volusia (now the C50), but, because I don't ride tons of miles each year, I felt the smaller bike was best.

So now it sits in my garage in winter storage with 138 miles on it, Saddle Bag Supports, Saddle Bags, Carrier, and Sissy Bar plus a Memphis Fats 19' Windshield, and I still am not happy with it.

So, I am looking at selling the bike, trading it in, or whatever, and getting a new Honda Shadow Aero, because I like the looks of the bike, and it has a bit more power. I would appreciate any input from those that have an Aero, and give me some input as to its good and bad points. Yes, I know......I am going to loose my butt on this deal......thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Larry

I gotta ask the question - what exactly is it you are not happy with? 138 miles is a tiny distance to judge a bike on. Not even a good day's riding.

However, to address your point I would suggest you look at the 1100 Spirit shafty. Great bike with minimal maintenance requirement. Try to sell your 600 privately and look for a good used example of the 1100. That way you save both ways.

My 0.02

Collector

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with Collector. 138 miles would be just a ride home from the dealer. Can you spell out a bit more what you don't like and why?

Can't help you with input on the bigger cruisers; my wife's the one who rides the Shadow in our garage, and she's thrilled with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Medic09 said:
I'm with Collector. 138 miles would be just a ride home from the dealer. Can you spell out a bit more what you don't like and why?

Can't help you with input on the bigger cruisers; my wife's the one who rides the Shadow in our garage, and she's thrilled with it.
Ok....the Shadow VLX is a great machine, however, I don't care for the overall smaller engine or smaller appearence of the bike. All of my previous bikes have been either 800's or 1100cc machines. I got out of biking about a year ago after a very close call (someone on a cell phone while driving nearly took me out) and I said that I would never get back into biking again. But....as you know.....it's something thats hard to put down, so I jumped at the chance to buy a new VLX when I got a good deal on one.....but, I should have waited a bit more, and got a little bit bigger bike. The bike is great. It's me....the rider that is just not happy with it's size. If the bike had 13,800 miles on it rather than just 138 I still would not be happy with it, thus, I am looking to go back up in size. I hope that explains a bit why I am looking to move up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You wont be happy with the Aero then either. Minimal difference in power. I would suggest the 1100 like the others have said. The Sabre is akin to the Aero. Going from a 600 to a 750 isnt really changing bike sizes or power ratio IMO.

·
Registered
477 Posts
trust one that just took a hit in the wallet. Go with the 1100.

Rule of thumb: Think what is the biggest you want, and go one shoe size higher. :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I understand 100%! The VLX is a good bike but it was lacking in the power I needed so when a Sabre 1100 landed in my lap I went for it. More comfortable and easier to ride than the VLX.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you are uncomfortable on the VLX, that is a good excuse to go up in
physical size of the bike.

However, if power is all you are looking for, you'd be surprised as to how
well a set of pipes, good air filter, and a rejet will wake a VLX up.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do the timing mod to pick up
a little more get up and go.

When tuned correctly, with those mods done, the VLX will easily hold its
own against the 750 and 1100 Shadows. While the 1100 will still have more
power and will out pull the VLX in as the high RPM range comes on,
at low and mid range, the modded VLX will stay right with a stock 1100.
And I know for a fact that it will give one hell of a hard time to a stock
Vulcan 1600! :wink:

My VLX was just like all the others... it was a slug coming off the line.
With a little cash flow and a little tuning, it's a whole 'nother beast.

But, then again, you can get an 1100 and do the same mods and
have an even more powerful bike again.... It's just how much are looking for? If the 1100 has enough power to satisfy you, then the money you
spend modding the VLX may pay for the cost to switch bikes...
It's a little bit of a juggling act... But, in either case, I'm sure you'd be
happy with either one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Power, Power,Power, please keep in mind, you can modify the heck out of any bike, but if you are a polar bear like me, it wont matter. Homer Simpson on a 250 is enough to make anyone become blind. Get what you need based on your size and then 1 up for power.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can see your point ...I got tired of my 750 Spirit in about a year and went up to the 1100 Spirit and it's been great, more power, higher criusing speed, sits higher , better seat, ,more torque, only 50lbs. more weight, 50mpg,hwy. 40mph in town, all around great bike. Friend of mine has a Sabre that he really likes, I almost bought one but the dealer could'nt work the numbers right. In other words bypass the 750 and go 1100.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
trjam said:
Power, Power,Power, please keep in mind, you can modify the heck out of any bike, but if you are a polar bear like me, it wont matter. Homer Simpson on a 250 is enough to make anyone become blind. Get what you need based on your size and then 1 up for power.
Kind of like an elephant on a Schwinn??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't provide the exact opinion your wanting but, I'm probably in your age bracket. I have had touring machines for many years (Goldwings & Yamaha RSV) which are great bikes if you do much distance riding. I desided that my touring is done and now I mainly ride short social rides and an occasional PGR Mission when one is within 100 miles or so. I didn't want a $10.000+ machine sitting in my garage only getting a couple thousand miles a year put on it so I sold my RSV and went on the search for a used 1100 or bigger cruiser. By the way I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs. I was mainly looking for a Vulcan or Intruder 1500 but I cam across a very clean 96 Shadow 1100 with most of the add-ons that I wanted, windshield, bags, sissy bar, floorboards, with only 19K miles, etc, for a desent price so I bought it. I must say that I'm very satisfied with it. It's easy to handle around town, after the big tourers I was used to, it feels like a bicycle. It delivers on the highway, I've put several hundred freeway miles on at 70 to 80 MPH. Even at 75 MPH I can roll the throttle and get good passing speed. So for my purpose now, it certainly meets my needs and I like it. I gotta admit that I would have preferred the Classic look to the Spirit look but I was looking for a deal. The Spirit look has grown on me now. I honestly believe, regardless of what they say, those who buy the 600 and 750s end up wishing they had an 1100 or bigger. Probably many of the 1100 owners wish they had a 1500. Thats what I was looking for and settled for the 1100. One thing you need to consider is do you want shaft drive, chain, or belt. I prefer shaft drive water cooled machines. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
TxLawman said:
I honestly believe, regardless of what they say, those who buy the 600 and 750s end up wishing they had an 1100 or bigger.
Not everyone is suited for an 1100 sized bike and not everyone who has
the smaller bikes wishes they had gone bigger.

I'm VERY happy with my VLX. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have had it for the last 10 years.

I will admit, that I am thinking about a 'Wing, something I have
been thinking of for quite a while and one day in the near future, I'll get one.
But I'm not using it to replace my VLX because I'm not satisfied with the VLX.
I want a long haul comfort touring bike that I can ride on vacation, comfortably with the wife, and with a few days worth of clothes for each of us.

The VLX is without a doubt the perfect bike for me and not once have I regretted buying it and not once have I wished I had bought something bigger.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a 750 Aero and I started out looking at the 1100-1300 range.

I was thinking "MO POWER" for a while, until I realized that I would use that power about twice a year, maybe. I rode a VLX and a Aero before I bought and I knew that IMHO the Aero pulled my 6'1" 265 around without a problem. The VLX, to me, didnt feel as comfortable in handling. It would pull me OK, I just didnt like the way it felt to ride.

If you are looking for a highway cruiser, then you want to step up in displacement. The Aero's gear ratio is lacking on the high end for Americans. It will run 70+ with no problem, you just have to twist the throttle and run it at a higher RPM than sounds right to us, and gear down to pass. We are used to putting the hammer down and going. I was, then I started looking for the rev limiter in 4th. I didnt find it.

If you are going to go back and forth to work, run a trip or 2 a year, and just generally ride the bike for fun localy, the Aero will get you where you want to go for less money than the 1100+ bikes and about 60 MPG.

·
Registered
209 Posts
litnin said:
TxLawman said:
I honestly believe, regardless of what they say, those who buy the 600 and 750s end up wishing they had an 1100 or bigger.
Not everyone is suited for an 1100 sized bike and not everyone who has
the smaller bikes wishes they had gone bigger.

I'm VERY happy with my VLX. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have had it for the last 10 years.

I will admit, that I am thinking about a 'Wing, something I have
been thinking of for quite a while and one day in the near future, I'll get one.
But I'm not using it to replace my VLX because I'm not satisfied with the VLX.
I want a long haul comfort touring bike that I can ride on vacation, comfortably with the wife, and with a few days worth of clothes for each of us.

The VLX is without a doubt the perfect bike for me and not once have I regretted buying it and not once have I wished I had bought something bigger.
litnin,

You are 100% correct about different bikes for different people. My wife is short, she looked around and decided that the 750 Spirit was just right for her. She can sit on the seat with both feet on the ground. That was a major consideration for her. She is petrified to sit on my 1100. The seat style and handlebar configuration make the bike totally unaceptable for her. As far as power, if she gets a little jump on me going up a hill, I'll have a real time catching her. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference, in the practical world, at least. (except she doesn't do all the darn shifting that I seem to have)

John

·
Registered
310 Posts
Size

Litnin +2. Okay guys, there is a huge difference between an 1100 and a 600/750. Get over the "It's not that much bigger" mentality. It is a huge bike for my wife. She would not have ridden it but she put 22,000 miles on her VLX last year. The 600 is a very capable bike for smaller or less experienced riders. It is light weight and very agile. For zooming about town, it is nearly perfect. She is moving to a Kawasaki 800 (900's are not yet readily available at an affordable price). The 800 has great power, style and reliability and feels like a light weight. We looked at the Shadow 750 but the old-tech styling and lack of power just didn't measure up. There are lots of good choices in the middleweight range so shop wisely.

Enjoy the ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts