Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this bike on saturday. It's a 97 VLX 600 Deluxe. The tail light is missing the access piece that lets you change the bulb at the top. I'm concerned that during the day this being opened is going to dim the light a bit and that's a safety concern. Does anyone have any ideas as to where i could get a replacement for that piece or something i could use to cover it?

I figure rain getting in there would also be bad.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
That's an aftermarket taillight, so you would need to find out what kind it is and then see if you can buy just the parts for it. It might just be easier to buy a replacement taillight.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
You could fabricate a cover with some pliable .025 aluminum and use some weather stripping to seal it (both available at almost any hardware store); couple screws or rivets (can always drill them out) .... that's what I would do; I like being creative. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For temporary fix, you can cut a piece of beer can out, make a patch, and attach with 2 face tape.
Dan

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could fabricate a cover with some pliable .025 aluminum and use some weather stripping to seal it (both available at almost any hardware store); couple screws or rivets (can always drill them out) .... that's what I would do; I like being creative. :mrgreen:

That's a good idea. My brain was stuck on figuring how i could snap something in there as i'm guessing that's what it was originally. Was hoping someone here would recognize the tail light as i can't find a brand on it anywhere.

Hmmm, now that i think about your idea, i wonder if i can find some kind of metal bike adornment type thing that's about that size. Some kind of eagle/born free/skull/iron cross type thing that would cover it.

Thanks for the idea, like i said, my brain was stuck on one track.

But if anyone recognizes the tail light and has any idea what brand it might be i wouldn't mind knowing to see if i can get a replacement. I'd hate to buy a new tail light as the fender is custom as well and i have no idea what the paint looks like under the light so i'd need to make sure i got the same size light or bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts