Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2002 VT600CD. Was sitting in a garage for about 8 years.

I have the bike cosmetically where I want it, and I have replaced all fluids, rebuild the carb with an All Balls racing carb kit, gas tank has been cleaned and relined, new petcock assembly, new battery, etc.

The bike starts up on first try - will only run if I keep my hand on the throttle (will have to adjust the idle), but it stalls out after about 5 minutes.
  • the fuel selection knob is set appropriately
  • if I ride it down the street, it runs great....until it does not. there is a sputter that is similar to running out of gas, however it acts more like flooding
  • I have to let it sit for a while and then it will again start right away and then do the same thing after a few minutes
  • when I pull the spark plugs (which are new) they are completely black covered in carbon residue which I believe is due to too rich a mixture
Can anyone help me with a plan of attack to sort this out?

here are pictures:

before_after.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
The fuel tank vent tube end could be sealed off with the "reliner" inside the tank.
That's something I would check, if you have, never mind.
:unsure:

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,737 Posts
I agree, sounds like vent but also check choke (SE valve) is not binding. I am not familiar with that racing carb kit so perhaps your jets are too big?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel tank vent tube end could be sealed off with the "reliner" inside the tank.
That's something I would check, if you have, never mind.
:unsure:
Where is the fuel tank vent? the only two openings i saw are the bottom of the tank where the petcock assembly attaches, and this has the long fuel filter attached. The other is the opening to put gas in the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, sounds like vent but also check choke (SE valve) is not binding. I am not familiar with that racing carb kit so perhaps your jets are too big?
was not a "racing" carb rebuild...that is just the name of the company. just had identical jets to replace, new screws, new "plunger" for the float, new gasket.

how do i check to see if the choke is not binding? (not completely sure what this means....I am a scientist trying to play mechanic)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking I need to adjust the pilot screw (D-shaped screw)....do you disagree?

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,737 Posts
I am not completely familiar with your model but if California it has a different fuel system. Most other carb bikes will have an air vent tube running from bottom of tank (there is a pipe inside the tank) to underneath the engine. This tube is usually clear when new but will have yellowed, It is needed because as you use fuel a vacuum is created that will starve the carbs. Often in installing the fuel tank this tube gets crimped and the result is as you describe. One way to determine this is when the bike stalls pop the fuel cap open.. You may hear a air being sucked in but the engine will start.

If you replaced jets with stock size and have no intake or exhaust mods then you should not have to change factory A/F setting. The A/F screw should actually be factory capped and if not someone has changed something.

Your choke cable runs down to the carb and you can loosen off the boots and the nuts and you will be able to see the SE Valve move when you open/close the choke. I think it moves 10 mm

Probably best you pick up a shop manual for this bike as my numbers are guesses.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Where is the fuel tank vent? the only two openings i saw are the bottom of the tank where the petcock assembly attaches, and this has the long fuel filter attached. The other is the opening to put gas in the tank.
If there's no connection for a vent under the tank, the vent could be in the Fuel Filler Cap and still be clogged causing a vacuum in the tank when running, starving the engine for fuel.
You could tape over the filler hole and poke a (vent) hole in it, then run it (or ride it) to see if it dies after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Also verify the carb float bowl vent tube is clear, should also hang down under the engine. If plugged, the float bowls will build up fuel vapor pressure and can cause flooding/stalling and black plugs.

Reactions: Kenstone
1 - 9 of 9 Posts