Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW 1100 Shadow Spirit. Rider is me, 225 pounds. What do you folks recomend for tire pressure. Especially in the rear 41 seems stiff.

Second issue. I realize I have less then 100 miles on this bike and it is my first shaft driven but here goes, at around 45 to 50 when I give some hard throttle, it fells like it is chugging. It is accelerating, but it isnt smooth. It feels kind of clunky. I know this sounds stupid. No matter what gear above 2nd, if I come down on it, it just feels sluggish. Or is this just the way shafts are. In comparision, the rapid acceleration isnt smooth and unpronounced if that helps.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
trjam said:
NEW 1100 Shadow Spirit. Rider is me, 225 pounds. What do you folks recomend for tire pressure. Especially in the rear 41 seems stiff.

Second issue. I realize I have less then 100 miles on this bike and it is my first shaft driven but here goes, at around 45 to 50 when I give some hard throttle, it fells like it is chugging. It is accelerating, but it isnt smooth. It feels kind of clunky. I know this sounds stupid. No matter what gear above 2nd, if I come down on it, it just feels sluggish. Or is this just the way shafts are. In comparision, the rapid acceleration isnt smooth and unpronounced if that helps.
I typically run 34 PSI in the rear/front tires on my Spirit 1100. Never had a problem.

The "chugging" is normal. It isn't a fast revving motor. It is a cruiser. If you want to take off fast in a higher gear, the only choice is down shift to get into a higher rpm range. And don't worry, the bike will tell you when to shift. They have governors that will kick the motor out when the rpms get too high. As an indication of the rpm range on the Spirits, you can go up to 50-55 mph in first gear. So, don't be afraid to down shift to get into a better power band so you don't get the chugging.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much, I feel at ease now. I have owned 5 bikes in my life, starting back in 74 with a Harley 250 Street and trail, up to a Yamaha 750 back in 82. Starting again the new 750 is what I remember a bike to be, and that is why I will miss it, but the 1100 is totally new to me from power, gearing, shaft, etc. I know I am going to love this thing in the end, but I think most old schoolers would have to admit, it takes getting use to. And less then 100 miles does not put me in the, expert area yet. This is a old but unique bike, and I will find my "zone" with it. Again thank you for the help. Felt I had a little to much air in the back, thanks to the Maxwell Smart owners manual that came with it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
trjam said:
thank you very much, I feel at ease now. I have owned 5 bikes in my life, starting back in 74 with a Harley 250 Street and trail, up to a Yamaha 750 back in 82. Starting again the new 750 is what I remember a bike to be, and that is why I will miss it, but the 1100 is totally new to me from power, gearing, shaft, etc. I know I am going to love this thing in the end, but I think most old schoolers would have to admit, it takes getting use to. And less then 100 miles does not put me in the, expert area yet. This is a old but unique bike, and I will find my "zone" with it. Again thank you for the help. Felt I had a little to much air in the back, thanks to the Maxwell Smart owners manual that came with it.
Would you like a copy of the Service Manual for the bike? If you are interested, email me your mailing address to [email protected] and I will get a copy out as soon as possible.

The shaft isn't that bad to get used to. The biggest thing that you will need to get used to is all the riding time you will get because you don't have to worry about cleaning/servicing a chain. (I am sure I will get attacked over that one... :twisted: :twisted: )

If you have questions about anything, feel free to ask away. The forum has a lot of Spirit riders...and a few opinionated folks...who will be able to answer your question quickly. And if you have a question that you are afraid or embarrassed to ask...please feel free to either email me or send me a pm. I will do my best to answer your question.

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last thought, rear shocks are set at 2, move them up to 3 or 4?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
trjam said:
One last thought, rear shocks are set at 2, move them up to 3 or 4?
That depends on your riding comfort. Setting them up to 3 or 4 will increase the pre-load on the shocks...making them stiffer and less able to absorb bumps. But, it also makes the bike handle differently..softer...less responsive. I typically rode with mine at 4 or 5...but I liked the harsh ride and the handling it gave me. The setting will also depend on if you are carrying a passenger or not.

If you haven't noticed the back end bottoming out (believe me, you would have noticed) then I would leave them where they are...or go up one and see how you like the ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
trjam

spirit 1100 hit it on the head. I am also about 225 lbs and have found that 33-35 psi front and rear are about right riding solo. When I ride with my wife (i am not allowed to tell you her weight) I increase the rear presure to 41 psi and stiffen the preload on the rear shocks.

You are right about cruisers taking some getting used to. My riding in the 70's and 80's was on bikes much lighter and faster than my
Spirit 1100. It has taken some getting used to, but after a little more than a year and nearly 9000 miles later I can say I truly love this bike.

If i need to get some spped up quickly, I just kick it down a gear and get the rpms up into the power band and it has never left me needing any more power for passing or merging.

Put a few thousand miles on it and let us know how you feel about the bike after getting more adjusted to it. "inquiring minds need to know!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts