Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep forgetting to cancel my turn signal. It really hit home today when I had left it on after a right turn right before a gas station. A guy coming out of the station thought I was entering and almost pulled out in front of me. I could tell he was mad - he was shaking his head. Luckily he was aware enough not to pull out, but I may not be so lucky next time. After that scare I kept thumbing the cancel button every few seconds to be sure, but it bothers me that I keep doing this. :mad:

·
Registered
298 Posts
First, I'm glad you made it through that one. I've been riding for 37 years and I still don't remember to do it, every once in awhile. I've found it helps me to never take my thumb off of it. I do honk my horn sometimes. I just smile and wave, when I get that "what in the heck are you doing", stare. Like most things in motorcycle land, it's practice, practice and more practice. Practice makes a habit, good or bad.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yea I am Just now remembering to cancel my signal, it's just something you have get used to doing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
you can buy a canceler if you need too they are adjustable 10. 20 . or 30 flashes

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can also reto-fit an audible indicator. Some older bikes had them and A LOT of people took them off. Although I imagine that would get old really quick, it would also break your habit really quick. :shock:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Have you tried replacing the dash indicator bulb with an LED, maybe a brighter flashing light would help remind you

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Just keep your thumb on the signal switch while making the turn and it will remind you to cancel the signal after the turn is completed.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
I might suggest using "Hand signals" ;)
BUT todays drivers don`t know nothing about that?????
Just do as everybody else does, DON`T Use a turn signal... Huh Dave???

Flabbergasted,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I still do it now and again after 35 years of riding... I remember most of the time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm was the same boat, I finally taped a very tiny sticky note that says "T/S" to the top of my windshield in my line of sight. 100% cancellation now! :wink:
I like the LED idea. On the same website, they have individual LED's and holders. LED's can be very small, I can see drilling a small hole at the top of the windshield, insert a small LED holder and clear silicone it. Hide the wires in the chrome strip. Maybe someday windshields could have this engineered into them with fiber optics.:shock:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check out the Kisan Signal Minder. Gives you adjustable self cancel, running light option, 4-way flasher option, and brake light flasher option. I haven't got one but it's on my wish list. When I finally get it I'll post a review.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I consider not cancelling my turn signals a sign that I am not paying full time and attention to riding - after I catch myself once - I jump my attention level up a notch (clear my head, put more mind into riding or do whatever I can to figure out waht is causing Attention deficit). If I catch myself a second time (or doing some other bone headed move), I will some times turn the bike around go home and park it.

In Northern VA you better be on your game 110% when riding - too much 'diversity' in out driving population.

A series of small mistakes (usually 3 or more) that result in disaster - (old pilots and boat captains understand this concept).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts