Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling out the driveway last night and I start going through the gears. Moving from 2nd to 3rd I miss. It feels like I'm in neutral then it drops in with a clank. No big deal I've missed gears as a kid riding dirt bikes. Heading home after 60 miles of trouble free riding the rear wheel locks up downshifting from 3rd to 2nd while making a left turn. A true pucker moment :shock:

My question is, what should I check, if anything? Both issues my be simply my soft handling of the shift change. I don't normally pull/push very hard on the shift lever, I've never needed to. Oil level is good and it's fresh with less than 1K. Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle oil

Bike is 2007 shadow C2 with just over 8K miles.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well, I soft shift every now and then and hit a false nuetral..shifting while making a turn is never a good thing to do. I would doubt that it locked up due to a tranny problem. I would say there was a good chance you hit a little bit of oil, and the downshift, no throttle being given and hitting something slippery could very well cause the wheel to lock, especially with the angle of the bike pushing the wheel. I used to own a GTO, and if I accellerated hard in first gear, and just left off the gas, the rear wheel would lock up. Sounds like the same thing.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Shadows have clunky, loose shifting transmissions. You were probably just to gentle with it on the miss. Shift the Shadow with a firm, positive motion, Don't Stomp just firm. The wheel lock was do to engine RPM/Ground speed were too high for 2nd. As for the clutch I shift 50-75 of the time with NO clutch, but it also needs to be applied with a positive, firm motion. Too gentle or tentative with the Shadow trans and you will miss gear and get In Between shifts.

10-40 oil is OK,More imprtant is the ratings. Must use Motorcycle or Deisel rated oil. Never use any oil rated as "energy or resource" conserving. These GREEN additive can cause clutch and trans slippage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
gc40... Why do you shift w/o the clutch? What are the benefits?

I find that my bike won't allow me to shift without at least a slight clutch grab.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
gc40... Why do you shift w/o the clutch? What are the benefits?

I find that my bike won't allow me to shift without at least a slight clutch grab.
Clutchless shifting is a habit for me and I'm lazy. No real benifit on a cruiser. Comes from years of road and drag racing, bike and cars. On the Shadow I mostly do it on Up shifts, do to the loosenes of the trans, downshifts can be difficult, have to be perfect for it to work.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I shift without a clutch all the time. Like 93GC40, It's just a habit. I did it back in the day with my big block El Camino to be cool and impress chics but also because it does save on the clutch plates and throwout bearings and I hated putting in clutches, especially in the winter. It just carried over. I suppose I would hate putting a clutch in the bike, so there's my justification! And to be cool!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I figured it was just me, but with such a good group to bounce things off of, I took advantage and asked anyway. And yes I knew when I was doing it, turning and downshifting wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

·
Registered
274 Posts
turning and downshifting wasn't the best idea I've ever had.
I did that on the first ride I ever took on my shadow... locked it up and almost high-sided. Thankfully my dirt bike experience kicked in and I grabbed the clutch right away... scary stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.