Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on Social Security because of a heart attack for some years now, and today the Doc put me in a wheelchair because I just cant walk very far now. Hearts worse, developing COPD, etc. Then he says no more motorcycle. He says before long I won't be able hold it up. I'm only 59 and that's all I have that I can do and enjoy doing. I don't have the money for a rear end to build a trike, but I could probably do a sidecar. Can anyone here help with some plans, ideas, or point me in the right direction? I REALLY don't want to stop riding. If I do I'll just be setting here staring at the walls 95% of the time from now on.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
I`d go NUTS!
IF I had to stare at the walls ;)

I was talking to a fella who has a "trike conversion" that he drives his Bike onto/into...
The two extra wheels fasten easily and quickly, but the Bike doesn`t need any conversions for the set up...
His is a Road King, but I`m sure if we google the conversion kit, there is one for Honda too;) (hopefully)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
amos I have the same problem. You know riding a bike is no different than driving a car. You are still sitting on your arse. I know you have to balance the bike so tell your DR you will never GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys but the problem is money. I live on Social Security. There is no money to buy a conversion or anything like that from avywhere. All I can afford is scrap metal to build something out of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What type of bike do you have? If nothing else you may just like to trade down for a lighter one.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Just saw this on theChive.

I do hope you're able to figure something out man. I also hope you get to feeling and doing better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's pretty cool wulfie, but 4 wheels in Okla has to be registered as a car. That's why I'm looking for sidecar frame plans. As for trading my bike ...naw, I traded a chopped panhead for my ACE. This will be my last bike.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hard to tell from your small pic, but I am guessing it's a 750 ACE? I agree with what xxxxxxxclm1954 says. If you feel you can operate the bike without possibly causing harm to others go for it. Once it gets to the point where you are unsure if you might hurt someone else then turn in the keys. You are my age...so I can relate. I'd go down fighting for sure.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's a 750 ACE. I have no intentions of giving up riding, but I am looking at ways to NOT drop it at stop lights. Building a sidecar seems like my only option.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, it's a 750 ACE. I have no intentions of giving up riding, but I am looking at ways to NOT drop it at stop lights. Building a sidecar seems like my only option.
I don't know much about sidecars but when I had my 750 ACE, I thought I remember reading in the owners manual that it doesn't accommodate sidecars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know you said anything with 4 wheels had to be registered as a "car", but have you actually asked someone at the DMV/Traffic Office?

Regardless, if it were me, I would consider building myself a set of, for lack of better terminology, training wheels...or stabilizer wheels if you are tender-skinned...:lol:

You`ve probably seen them on some older/newer riders bikes. Below is the makings for a crossbar set-up that could be bolted to the under frame and then height adjusted so that you could still lean into turns, but keep the bike from falling all the way over at a stop light...modification is the key...

There is also this type of set-up that mounts to the rear...this wouldnt be that hard to build provided you had an old lawn mower frame that still had runniing gear...front Spindles especially...then a welder and some decent 1/4" flat-bar metal...

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
Sanoke has an outrigger on his Bike for riding up yonder in snow country, there`s a pic somewhere of his ramblings...

A welder, wheels and some metal you can come up with something I`m sure...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't know much about sidecars but when I had my 750 ACE, I thought I remember reading in the owners manual that it doesn't accommodate sidecars.
Thats more or less just for legal liability reasons, saying Honda is not responsible for damage, injury, blah blah.... due to the installation of a trike or side car kit.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I've been on Social Security because of a heart attack for some years now, and today the Doc put me in a wheelchair because I just cant walk very far now. Hearts worse, developing COPD, etc. Then he says no more motorcycle. He says before long I won't be able hold it up. I'm only 59 and that's all I have that I can do and enjoy doing. I don't have the money for a rear end to build a trike, but I could probably do a sidecar. Can anyone here help with some plans, ideas, or point me in the right direction? I REALLY don't want to stop riding. If I do I'll just be setting here staring at the walls 95% of the time from now on.
Sorry man that is rough. My only advice (since I'm still new to motorcycles) is to get several opinions about your health. You could talk with an internist, Pulmonary doc, EP, HF doc and an interventional cardiologist and they are each likely to give you different advice and treatment recommendations based on their expertise. The lung doc may thinks it's the lungs, the heart docs focus on the heart parts and the family doc tries to focus on the whole body. So try to get a concensus among various specialties and you will get the best treatment. My company CardioMEMS just got FDA approval for a device that is helping improve the lives of heart failure patients.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
Being "in the same boat", on SS, I find that I have no Honda Bucks for things I want...
SO I save pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters in a coffee can for these type expenses that "POP UP"...
When Sturgis Rally time comes along I count out the "left over change" to decide IF I`m going to attend...
My needs outweigh my wants in all cases...
I include God in everything and all my decision making...
On the dr issue?
One told me I wouldn`t walk again after an automobile crash in 2003 > God overrules the doctors and I can walk today, not running long distances or fast though ;)

I pray with you on these matters we`re discussing,
Dennis

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a friend. A fairly young guy who had an ailment in which his neuro system was attacked by tumors which took away nerve function. Wheelchair bound, he had an older Goldwing with a sidecar. He'd ride the chair onto the sidecar and lock it down and transfer over to the bike. He rode a lotta miles like that.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,478 Posts
You could always try something like this Amos.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Automotive tire Wheel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts