Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel like a million bucks today.

Bought this on a whim, for a song!!!

Just a few days ago I was posting to someone on here how I know NOTHING about the 750's/rarely read threads about em. I'll bug you guys to death now!!

Bought this STRICTLY to flip it, now that's it's home I don't think I want to sell.. LMAO, what will the girlfriend say.......

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Awesome! Feels great to have a second bike, don't it? :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
nice! I bet that thing is pretty **** powerful. may be close to your 1100. "LMAO, what will the girlfriend say......." nothing for her to say but "will you teach me to ride it?"

congrats!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Excellent choice, and yes, I'm biased ;) There's even a service manual here for you :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
"LMAO, what will the girlfriend say......." She'll say. "Nice bike! THANKS!!:mrgreen:"

........and clean up that garage!! What would Spiritman think!!??? And fix that sissy bar! You don't want her sitting on it, rhen sliding up onto the pillion, then falling off the back, do you???:shock::shock::shock:

:shock: (Ummm...disregard the hose and the weeds in the background, there...)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunesgirl, Yep it does. I really don't need it. I wanted to sell it, that was before I realized it has BOTH center stand and kick stand, SHAFT drive, Hydraulic clutch, DUAL disk's in front, a factory tach, and 6 (count em) 1-N-2-3-4-5-OD Motha Freakin GEARS in it:grin::grin::shock::shock::cool::grin:!!

Hal, We will see about the power. I got ALOT of research to do know. I can't "not know" everything about this bike now! O.C.D, for sure. I admit it, I feel it is more of a "quality personality trait" rather than DISORDER! LOL.

AND, we have had the "did you/are you going to take the written test to get your permit cause ya gotta hold it for 6 mo to get license and ride after dark in this state" conversation, yet again today ...of course.

Kathy, Thanks and yours looks sweet BTW. Research tells me they were 2 colors, black and what I think is the color of yours. Will download service manual very soon.

Mark, Boy I tell ya..... I just got alot more projects than time, all of a suddentimetoridewintersalmostoverwhatamithinkin..... maybe the 1100's wheels will wait. After all she got alot of new goods over the winter. Hey, thanks in advance..If I remember right, you uploaded the manual in sticky.

rpneal44, Yeah..thats pretty close. Actually it was something like this:

hey look what i got
cool, ya gonna let me ride it?
probably
i hate red
color is optional
why is all the motor and most everything else black and not chrome like the "other one" (95)
cause most of em are, the 95 is different
is chrome optional too.........

Yeah, shop is dirty. Spiritman wouldn't approve. We actually RUN A BUSINESS in there, LOL. Been busy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember right, you uploaded the manual in sticky
Kathy, MY BAD! Damit. ahhemmm

Thanks for the manual.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
LOL!!! No worries, it's all yours free of charge ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my bike... I too got it for what to me was a song, and have been doing a little personalizing this winter while I can't ride.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, time now for a little more info.....

This bike came up for sale. Owner says " well, i got it and rode it for about 100miles, then it died. Couldn't get it to start. Tried to mess with it a couple of time's... I aint got the money to take it to get fixed, want something different, etc,etc.

This was verified by, when he got the title, temp tag expiration, new "real" tag un-installed, etc, etc. Guy was late teens,maybe early 20's.

Set down for this guys/gals.

I only had a very few minutes to look at it after getting back to shop. Pulled plug to check spark and compression (you know, with my finger cause my gauge is HOME!).....compression,check......spark,check (matter of fact, it had by FAR the biggest spark I had EVER seen on anything. Almost like too much, if that's possible. I'm saying, the spark is solid bright white and as fat as BB or bigger! enuf on that.

Make sure your setting down now....

What it don't appear to have is GAS. WHY NOT, well carbs are probably gummed up, fuel filter dirty, but more importantly

IT AINT GOT NONE IN THE TANK!!!

Can't wait to go to work with a gallon of gas, can of seafoam, and some ether.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You lucky SOB lol

IT AINT GOT NONE IN THE TANK!!!

My neighbor did the same (no gas) and tore down his lawnmower cause it would not start LOL best of all he is a LICENSED mechanic lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought my '84 vt700 for pretty cheap because the guy thought it had a bad water pump. He tried to tell me the little electric temp sensor on the radiator was the pump. I just listened and nodded. What he had done was the bolt he used that holds the cover to the bottom of the radiator was too long. He had spun it straight into the bottom of the radiator. So it would spill the coolant right out and overheat on him. So of course it was the water pump. I found another radiator on Ebay for about 10 bucks. I was able to put about 8000 miles on it last year. It looked like it wasn't the first time he did it either. It had jb weld over that hole that was knocked loose from the bolt.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear ya guys. Gotta be in the right place at the right time. Usually doesn't happen for me, but it did this time...

Alright, drained carb bowls. Whatever was in there, wasn't flammable!!??

Drained anything that might be in tank under seat via on off valve outlet. Drained VERY little (teaspoon) of clean/clear FLAMMABLE liquid.

Air filter ABSOLUTELY MUST BE ORIGINAL (33K miles). NEVER EVER seen one this dirty. EVER. Took it out for test start.

Dumped in 2 gallons of gas, 1/3 can Seafoam. Heh, little ether for fun, heh heh heh. Well, if ya wanna BLOW the air canister lid half off, and separate 1 of the (wired) plug's held in place on that cover...then go ahead a give her a good generous squirt of it and look out.....kinda looked like the LAST time I'd "seat a bead" on a fussy, thick walled, 18ply (lol) trailer tire.

NO MORE OF THAT CRAP, lets try not to get blown up/start fire/talk to authorities TOADY!

Starts right up, needs choke (which really pisses me off, it aint a choke, it don't close off any air flow...it DUMPS gas in, guess that was too long of a name) now then, MUST HAVE "enrichment valve" open for any kinda decent throttle response. Carbs gummed up? I bet.

After IDK, 5-8 start/let run for 2 minutes, rev a time or two, shut off, wait 45 minutes or so..it ran better every time. Sea foam now has all night to work.

Hooked up temp sensor wire, it was off, gauge now works.
Battery on tender, it's not bad really I don't think.
Will idle (fairly smooth) with no choke, about 5-600 rpm. Choked is 1500-1800 rpm.
Front brakes need gone through.
Rear brake almost to service limit, PEDAL travels IDK 1.5-2" never adjusted?
Oil leak (between heads??) Not bad one.
Clutch,tranny (1st gear anyway) good.
Need some bolt's... 3 missing in front fender (1 left:sad:) 3 missing in sissy bar (yeah, 1 left)

Now WTF, did I get a bike that aint EVER been takin care of? It's a Honda "ride the piss out of it, fix what keeps you from moving on it" I guess?

I'm tired, talk to yall tomorrow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
great choice in bike. I've had mine about one year. Has good power, handles well for medium size bike and does't chow down the gas like some of the newer bikes. 6speed with overdrive makes this a great crusier. Easy to work on. My seat was trashed like yours and found one on ebay for about $50. enjoy your ride

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I hear ya guys. Gotta be in the right place at the right time. Usually doesn't happen for me, but it did this time...

Alright, drained carb bowls. Whatever was in there, wasn't flammable!!??

Drained anything that might be in tank under seat via on off valve outlet. Drained VERY little (teaspoon) of clean/clear FLAMMABLE liquid.

Air filter ABSOLUTELY MUST BE ORIGINAL (33K miles). NEVER EVER seen one this dirty. EVER. Took it out for test start.

Dumped in 2 gallons of gas, 1/3 can Seafoam. Heh, little ether for fun, heh heh heh. Well, if ya wanna BLOW the air canister lid half off, and separate 1 of the (wired) plug's held in place on that cover...then go ahead a give her a good generous squirt of it and look out.....kinda looked like the LAST time I'd "seat a bead" on a fussy, thick walled, 18ply (lol) trailer tire.

NO MORE OF THAT CRAP, lets try not to get blown up/start fire/talk to authorities TOADY!

Starts right up, needs choke (which really pisses me off, it aint a choke, it don't close off any air flow...it DUMPS gas in, guess that was too long of a name) now then, MUST HAVE "enrichment valve" open for any kinda decent throttle response. Carbs gummed up? I bet.

After IDK, 5-8 start/let run for 2 minutes, rev a time or two, shut off, wait 45 minutes or so..it ran better every time. Sea foam now has all night to work.

Hooked up temp sensor wire, it was off, gauge now works.
Battery on tender, it's not bad really I don't think.
Will idle (fairly smooth) with no choke, about 5-600 rpm. Choked is 1500-1800 rpm.
Front brakes need gone through.
Rear brake almost to service limit, PEDAL travels IDK 1.5-2" never adjusted?
Oil leak (between heads??) Not bad one.
Clutch,tranny (1st gear anyway) good.
Need some bolt's... 3 missing in front fender (1 left:sad:) 3 missing in sissy bar (yeah, 1 left)

Now WTF, did I get a bike that aint EVER been takin care of? It's a Honda "ride the piss out of it, fix what keeps you from moving on it" I guess?

I'm tired, talk to yall tomorrow.
Could be the cam plugs. My old '83's had dried out and needed replaced.

The nice thing about the 83 VT750C is that the gasket sets (A and B) can still be bought as can the cam plugs.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx Mark, I'll look at those. Yes, local dealer has parts.

Weekend's research has me going this direction.

Bike needs Air filter installed, "bent" (from ether trick:mrgreen:) air box cover fixed, in order to run even half way "right".

Carb's off. Cleaned/re-built. PERIOD!

Missing bolt's and new brakes all around (from Dealer) about $75.00.

Gf can learn to ride this one, lay it down/drop it, etc. I may sell it NEXT spring, get her something else. I can part it out, blown up motor AND wrecked frame/sheet metal for MORE than what I got in it:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. I love idiots.

I'm gonna flush all fluids, new spark pugs, at least find oil leak, new fuel filter, air filter, and go through brakes.

Really wish P.O. hadn't decided to remove all turn signals. They are/were in saddlebag. 1/2" or wire to work with on bike end:evil:.

This thing really got 68 hp from factory? 9.8:1 compression ratio.
I guess my 1100 at IDK, 45-52 HP, heh?
What would jet kit and timing advance do.......:grin::cool:

Sorry HSN, but is there any site specific 83 VT750 forums out there? After all, Reason I ask is, most info here is kinda towards the much later models say mid 90' and up. This bike is alot different (at least to me) in that it has shaft drive, hyd clutch, hidden tank...etc.

More time to work on it Monday.... updates with results to come.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Few more things,

I think it has NO fuel filter! Therefore, all lets see... 27+ yrs of tank bit's/rust have got sent into/through pump. What's best way to drain both tanks, I just filled er up? OR, pinch line and remove pump,valve, and work on the bench. Latter I suppose....

Air filter (factory) is similar to K&N, clean and re-oil. I think it deserves a new one.

Any hint of issues with either wheel bearings, and I'm gonna change em.

Right fork may need seal, IDK yet. Really need to ride this thing, see how much it needs, decide how far to go with it. I could re-build all of it, keep it for 20 yrs I guess.....

It's probably gonna end up with some multi-color paint job.....that I am going to attempt to try:shock:, better go get a book....;-).

Seat recovered, or what's the 1100's old Mustang look like on there....hhhhmmmmmmmm...remove sissy bar....fab bracket......aw, screw it. It'll end up looking like one of those "bobbers" if I start that crap. Sorry guys/gals, didn't mean to raise your blood pressure there.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts