Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been sick for the last two weeks and it's rained every day for those two weeks so I haven't ridden any. Yesterday I decided to go look at bikes.

I love the Yahama Royal Star Venture. Its a touring bike. The local dealer had one all tricked out with just about every thing you could put on one. They had even installed a lowering kit which I definetly would need.

The manager was talking to me about it and I wanted to see how top heavy it was with a passenger on the back. I asked him to crawl on the back and let me see how it was balanced and I laughed and promised not to drop it. YEP...YOU GUESSED IT.

He weighed about 220 lbs and when he stood on the rear floorboard he threw his leg over the back trunk. I don't mean eased it like my wife does but he just threw it over so most of his weight for just a few seconds was on the right hand side.

I am only 7' 7" tall and weight 135lb but I have a club foot so my right heel never touches the ground..ever. So I was balancing the bike with my right foot on the ball of my foot. I wasn't expecting the sudden jerky movement of that much weight so over we go. I did manage to lay it down gently along with his help. We both knew it was going over.

Not a scratch of course. I apologized and he did too for not getting on a bit more easily. It did work out good for me though because I guess he thought that would make me back out from buying so he said let's do it again. This time I was prepared and he got on a bit easier.

He said bring your wife to see it and I'm going to let you and her take it for a test ride. Once she rides this you will take it home with you. haha.

It's a beautiful bike...800 lbs,...I may take him up on the offer to ride it if the weather ever clears up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
interesting....when i was looking for a big tourer i had decided on a rsv or a valk...got the valk just cause i found a nice one 1st....few years later i sat on a rsv at the ny mc show, and i felt it had a high center of gravity and didnt feel right in my hands...neither did the r3, felt like it weighed a ton....the 2 that did feel balanced to me and natural were the goldwing and the nomad, esp the nomad.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I 'am really curious, was the bike leaning on the kickstand when the salesman hopped on?
I have never given this much thought, as I have always remained standing, straddling the bike while forcing the bike to lean on the kickstand while my passenger's mount and dismount.
But then again I instruct my passengers to step between the sissy bar and me rather than toss their leg over.
I am not looking for fault here, I just want to make sure this never happens to me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No It was not leaning on the kickstand. It definetly was on the second try. I was flatfooting it on the first try which was probably my mistake. On my 1100 its not a problem at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's all too easy to drop a bike. All it takes is a bit of gravel, a downhill (and lean to the right) stop, and loads of co-workers watching. Did that in our parking lot at work on Thursday and made up for my embarassment by refusing assistance in lifing my 700+ pound Aero 1100, and doing it myself, which impressed the hell out of the onlookers. Glad no one (including the bike) was hurt.

Radar

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
litnin said:
mlsa said:
I am only 7' 7" tall and weight 135lb...
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm a bit skinny. HUH? LOL...sorry about that...try 5' 7"

·
Registered
162 Posts
TheVenture is a great bike and I thought about getting one un till I got my Valk. The one problem I thought the Venture had is that there is a lot of heat around the rider. I figured that it would be much of a problem in the area I ride because the temps don't often stay real warm for long and a lot of my riding is done in cold weather. You might want to check out the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It has most of what the Venture has and is cooler to ride. I imagine the temps can get pretty hot in your locale, you might want to test drive in warm weather.
billp

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Tx where it gets hotter than #**#. I've had three Ventures, 1 1st gen and 2 2nd gens. I loved them and if I was looking for another tourer I'd sure get another one. I've also had 2 Goldwings and for me the Venture is much more comfortable and has that good classic MC look. I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs so the high center don't bother me. I don't know how a bike could get any more comfortable. I don't plan to do the long haul rides any more so I opted for the lighter, less expensive Shadow which I'm perfectly happy with.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm perfectly happy with my 1100 Spirit. As I stated I was just looking at bikes cause I couldn't ride and needed to be around them some.

My spirit is the perfect size for me...not too heavy but heavy enough to give a good ride...handles great...has enough speed for me...I have hard bags on it and a trunk so plenty of storage...I have floorboards, drivers backrest, air horns, it pulls my trailer great and IS PAID FOR....so it's all I need but I do enjoy looking at other bikes.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Sounds like a nice dealer for not freaking out. I'm sure my dealer would go ballistic....

·
Registered
392 Posts
my dad has a 02 midnight venture and he love it, although he says it is very top heavy and have to be carefull during slow manovers. out on the hiway he says it is very comfortable and a pleasure to ride. again his is very loaded even has 6 pack cd.
he says that it also has a built in roll cage ( for lack of a better name) that the bike can actually roll on and it won't do any damage to the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts