Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just wanted to check in I purchased my first bike 2 days ago and I'm stoked. 2014 honda phantom with 6 miles on it. This bike was won by an older couple on the price is right. They don't ride and it came with warranty from honda and all fees and registrain paid. I got it for 5700 cash it was a steal!!!!

I come from riding dirt bikes this is my first bike for the street. Any riding tips will be greatly appreciated just trying to be as safe as possible on the road with all these crazy drivers.

Any maintenance, cleaning, riding, or upgrade tips would be awesome! Also I live on a dirt road so any tips driving on dirt will help! Just been taken it real slow. I have 100 miles on her now.

I would like to upgrade the foot pegs to something more comfortable and get the blacked out cobra pipes to match. Ebay the best place to get those?

Also gotta do something about the horrible horn lol.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Swap the stock pipes to Cobra straight pipes and you will love the throaty sound witch double as an audible warning relegating the horn to a mere unneeded accessory.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
yes welcome aboard and best of luck with the new bike. :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
pull the sticker off the tank ASAP! lol

invest in some nice microfiber rags and good wax. good wax will protect and shine.

Then tuner/pipes/ intake and that'll have you going good!

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Nice bike....welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of the SMIDSY maneuver. Look it up on YouTube.

Stands for "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You". Helps make you a little more noticeable in certain situations.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Nice Bike and Welcome to the Forum!

Stands for "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You". Helps make you a little more noticeable in certain situations.
The SMIDSY maneuver is definitely a good one.. I use that one all the time.. Also works to shoe-horn off most tailgaters :lol:

The Length and breadth of street riding safety-tips can pretty-much be found here:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53...70244-riding-tips-new-experienced-riders.html

Other than that, Parking lot practice - lots of it - before getting into too much traffic and too much speed.. Get comfortable with bike balance, swerving, sharp turns and emergency braking, at least. :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pull the sticker off the tank ASAP! lol

invest in some nice microfiber rags and good wax. good wax will protect and shine.

Then tuner/pipes/ intake and that'll have you going good!
Made my first ride to work this morning on it, and it was smooooth. Loving the bike. Going to pull those stickers off tonight lol... Do you recommend any specific tuner/intake? I'm going to get the cobra pipes as soon as I get some extra cash. I did purchase the Cobra floorboards, waiting for them in the mail.

Nice bike....welcome to the forum.

I'll look that up :) Thanks.

That's an awesome deal you got on the bike. It should worth a few hundred more just because it was on "The Price is Right".
Right? ahaha

Thanks everyone! This forum is great.

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,086 Posts
You need to post three threads in this sectipon before ful access is granted.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Nice bike, I know because I have one!
If you're going to ride two up you will want a better seat, I have a Mustang Day tripper.
I have mini floorboards and they are great.
If you're going to commute or shop you'll want bags and or a luggage rack.
If two up probably want a back rest.
Instead of pipes I went with a Wolo horn, very loud and a whole lot less money than pipes.
I have a dirt and stone driveway about 400 feet long, just ride where you know its packed good and go slow so you don't slip or get too much dust on that beauty!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Thanks Dave!

I noticed your blacked out turn signal covers... where did you get those?
I got those from another forum member, Theja who traded his bike but striped all the options off to sell so I don't know where he got them from, I also have amber bulbs so when the blinkers are on they are still amber but keep the blacked out look when off. So you can look him up on the forum and ask. I really like them, the amber covers just seemed to take away from the look.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome!! I love the blacked out cylinder head covers and forks - that's what I'll be doing on mine next! Make sure you DON'T wax any of the matte finish, it will make it shiny.

Have fun!

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Boldfist. Seems like a good title for the next Austin Powers' movie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.