Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife has been looking for a good used road bike for our place up north and the prices for used bikes up there are absolutely ridiculous.

I found one down here in the Detroit area and drove it home yesterday. When she gets home today, I'll give her her "Fathers Day" present.

2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 and only just barely 12,000 miles with Memphis Fats W/S, Crash Bars, Highway pegs, saddlebags, Throttle Rocker grips, fresh oil change, new battery, and new tires front and rear. Stock exhaust (I won't even look at a used bike with modified exhaust)

Runs like a bat out of hell. Got it for $1850

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like solid formula for a happy fathers day! Nice bike.

She will love it. She already has the exact same bike (in black) for her road bike down here. I didn't want to get her a Shadow because of the different foot position placement. This way, she can jump on either bike and everything will be familiar to her.

Yeah, she expects gifts for Father's Day, my birthday, Groundhog Day, and every other holiday with "Day" on the end. She's obviously spoiled. lol

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
She will love it. She already has the exact same bike (in black) for her road bike down here. I didn't want to get her a Shadow because of the different foot position placement. This way, she can jump on either bike and everything will be familiar to her.

Yeah, she expects gifts for Father's Day, my birthday, Groundhog Day, and every other holiday with "Day" on the end. She's obviously spoiled. lol
Apparently you've never gifted her a wheelbarrow . :wink2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently you've never gifted her a wheelbarrow . :wink2::grin2:

To be honest, when we first got married over 52 years ago, I gave her a Craftsman miniature tool set for the kitchen junk drawer for her birthday present very early on, figuring she would be happy to have it.

She wasn't. And since I'm a fast learner, I never made that kind of mistake again. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the wheelbarrow didn't go over so well either. Sometimes they have no sense of humor.

The only thing worse than a wheelbarrow or tool set for their birthdays would be those same gifts given to them for Valentines Day.

Figuring them out is something we must do, and we only have so much time to do it. I just wish I had 1/10 of her memory. She can recite every bad thing I've ever done in my life at the drop of a hat... which seems to be quite often. :shock:

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
That is a nice bike !

Cousin to the Shadow's appearance.

I was wondering if the Honda Shadow line that came out in 1983 was the first Japanese V Twin cruiser bike or were there others before?
Harley got all bent out of shape and caused a lawsuit when the Japanese bikes were becoming so popular and hurting their sales.

Just pondering.
Anybody know some history?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a nice bike !

Cousin to the Shadow's appearance.

I was wondering if the Honda Shadow line that came out in 1983 was the first Japanese V Twin cruiser bike or were there others before?
Harley got all bent out of shape and caused a lawsuit when the Japanese bikes were becoming so popular and hurting their sales.

Just pondering.
Anybody know some history?

The Japanese had a 1200cc v-twin back in the 20's. Here's an excellent read for you...

https://thevintagent.com/2017/09/20/japanese-motorcycles-the-early-days/

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Congratulations on a good buy.
I have always been fond of Suzuki's, good value, good performance and good fun!

I like the logic of getting her a matching set to avoid control confusion.

My first dirt bikes were Suzuki's.
The biggest Suzuki I ever owned was 797 cc and with its current owner is pulling logs out of the bush with the original engine!
I bought it in 1981 and sold it to him in 1990 as of March, when I was talking to them it was still earning its keep, it has 4 wheels, a rusty and well beaten LJ80.
It lives on Manitoulin Island, which of course is fairly close to some of Michigan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great bikes. Just watch as the first thing that touches down in the curvy stuff is the huge bar under the frame that the footpegs are attached to. No give at all like a bike that has feelers that "give". Next thing you know your back tire is moving off to the side. Once you get used to knowing its limits it's ok, but definitely gives you a good scare first time it happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts