Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 06 Honda shadow spirit 750 from a guy off craigslist and I would like to get it checked out to make sure everything is running properly. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor, so it looks amazing. He bought it new but never rides it. He only managed to put 2600 miles on it in 4 years. He said he got the carbs fixed and it tuned up but it still has a cold heart. It putts around for a min then gets going and runs fine from there on out. I also would like to apply my first mod to it which would be some VH straightshot pipes. My question is should I wait to to the maintanance until after I install the new pipes? I've heard that when putting new pipes on sometimes the carbs and engine need to be re-tuned to run well with the neq pipes. Is that true?

I can follow instructions well enough to install the pipes and I know how to do simple stuff like change oil and other fluids but when it come to re-jetting carbs and tuning the engine I'm lost. Would a power commander be a smart move to get with the pipes? If so what kind and can I install that myslef?

Sorry I'm new to the nike world so I have a ton of questions.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Even in warm weather the bike can be cold natured for a minute or two until the engine warms. This is normal. After it gets a few more thousand miles on it it will run and shift even better than now. I'd fill it up with fresh gas and maybe add some gas treatment / carb cleaner for good measure and run a few tanks of the treated gas through it.

Go ahead and do the maintanance now like change the oil/filter and take a look at the air filter but very doubtful it's dirty yet. Check tire pressures and make sure the tires are not showing any signs of drying out or cracking from age.

As far as pipes and needing to re-jet well that's a coin toss if it will be needed or not. My suggestion is to ride the bike as is and make sure that it's running right before you throw in the wild card by changing the pipes right away.

Have fun.:wink:

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Even in warm weather the bike can be cold natured for a minute or two until the engine warms. This is normal. After it gets a few more thousand miles on it it will run and shift even better than now. I'd fill it up with fresh gas and maybe add some gas treatment / carb cleaner for good measure and run a few tanks of the treated gas through it.

Go ahead and do the maintanance now like change the oil/filter and take a look at the air filter but very doubtful it's dirty yet. Check tire pressures and make sure the tires are not showing any signs of drying out or cracking from age.

As far as pipes and needing to re-jet well that's a coin toss if it will be needed or not. My suggestion is to ride the bike as is and make sure that it's running right before you throw in the wild card by changing the pipes right away.

Have fun.:wink:
I agree as stated above, you may get lucky and not need to re-jet but maybe fatten the mixture screws a tad. As far as a power commander, it's carbed, not injected so you won't be needing one.
At 2600 miles, it's not gonna need much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts