Honda Shadow Forums banner

new bike new rider

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  paulsk66 
#1 ·
ok, a little embarassed about asking this question, but here goes anyway:
I learned to ride about 7 years ago. I had a little 450, and zipped around on that little bike with no problems. I sold it 6 years ago and have not riden since, until I bought a new bike 4 weeks ago. I bought a 2995 shadow 750. Feel in love with it the second I saw it.
The bike is alot bigger and heavier than my other bike, and I am having a little trouble getting used to it. I have a really hard time with left hand turns. Right hand turns are not so bad. In a way I feel a little uncomfortable. If I go for a long ride, it seems to gete a little easier. Should I just give myself time to get used to it? On weekends I start out onj the side roads and force myself to make left turn after left turn.
Any advise?

While I'm at it, anyone in the Plano Tx area care to ride with what I comsider to be a beginner?

Sonny

#2 ·
The 2995 Shadow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

You must have friends at Honda :wink:

Seriously though keep practicing in parking lots. Do figure eights and use the spaces to gauge your progress. Start out doing turns in 3 spaces and see if you can get it down to 1. Eventually it will feel more natural.

Practice, Practice, Practice. When you think you got it, Practice some more.

#4 ·
Make sure you are looking through the turn (pick a spot on the other side of the turn and look at it) and not at the ground. If you are looking down you will be late or wide, you go where you are looking at. Do not be concerned about the difference in the size of the bikes, It will come back if you just relax. Also sign up for the riders course, if you are a member of the HRCA they will reimburse you. Do not be embarrassed to ask any question, you might have answers I need.

#5 ·
We want pics. of that bike LOL :D But all kidding a side I fully agree with crazyswede. (take your time &)!!!! Also one thing I tell everyone that has a bike or wants to learn to ride a bike is sign up for your local MSF safety course. I rode dirt bikes from about the age of 5 years old and had a street bike for about 2 years before I went to the course. Had some friends that where just getting in to motorcycling. I thought I knew it all, and this would a long and dumb course, well I found out I knew nothing and it really opened my eyes. Best part you get to wreck up their bikes not yours. Heres the main web page www.msf-usa.org/ also here one just for the state of Texas www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/ check them both out (I KNOW) you wont be sorry.

#9 ·
1) Read "Proficient Motorcycling".
2) Find a parking lot and apply what you've learned.
3) Practice some more.

It's fairly common for people to favor "right" vs "left" turns or vice/versa.

Just concentrate on looking through turns. If they're tight turns, get used to looking over your shoulder to do so.

I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time...

#10 ·
Smib said:
1) Read "Proficient Motorcycling".
2) Find a parking lot and apply what you've learned.
3) Practice some more.

It's fairly common for people to favor "right" vs "left" turns or vice/versa.

Just concentrate on looking through turns. If they're tight turns, get used to looking over your shoulder to do so.

I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time...
Can't agree more with Smib, this book will help you with turns and a lot more.

#11 ·
To begin with you took 7 years off a physical activity so I wouldn't be surprised that you feel off the game a bit. You wouldn’t expect to take that long off baseball, bowling or anything else and not feel behind in the effort at first. Also, as you noted the 750 is a bigger bike and it will take time and practice to get used to. Just accept these two facts and practice, it will come to you.

As far as the left turns, I have a theory about that which may or may not be right but I'm sticking with it for now. I really think it has more to do with dominant eye than handedness. I think people find it easier to turn in the direction of their dominate eye irregardless of whether they are left or right handed. Although not a scientific study, I've asked a lot of riders which turn they find harder and almost always it is opposite of the dominate eye. I could be wrong, but it is a better fit than which hand is dominant.

Irregardless of that however, the only cure is practice.

#12 ·
thanks

Thanks to all that applied. I am definately going to take the riders course here in Plano. It is only a couple of miles from the house. I also want to thank towmotor's advice of picking a spot ahead of the turn. That has made an incredible difference already. Spent the day riding around making nothing but turns and did alot better. Then went to a parking lot atried the figure eights. Those need practice, but I will get there, thanks to all the great advice from you guys.

As a treat I went shopping and bought a new seat, handle bars, shield and sissy bar for the bike. I have pics, and will try to get them posted soon.

thanks guys
Sonny

#13 ·
Are you left handed?
Usually it is harder to turn in the direction of your handedness.
Hatter, where were you when I had my accident? I am left handed, and I was having problems turning left. I started looking through my turns and that fixed it. I did about 30 miles today and they were probably the most comfortable I felt on my bike yet. Stupid little tricks you learn in msf really do work!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.