Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I haven't posted in over a year! But it seems every bike I get sends me right back here.
Last year, I bought a 2003 ACE 750 from a friend. She had a light bar installed, and at the time I asked her how it was wired because I had read all the posts. She was not sure, but never had problems. Now she has a Sabre, same mechanic installed a light bar.
A couple weeks ago, my headlight went out. It turned out to be a fuse, but I hadn't ridden for a while and hoped that it was a fluke.
Yesterday, on the way home, no headlights (or lightbar lights) again. This time the fuse is okay. I pulled the headlight out and the lightbar lights looking for broken connectors but they all looked ok (just visual).
I believe it is something with my lightbar wiring. I think I need a Gonzo harness, but in the interim, where do I start to find where the damage is? Should I check the starter switch first?
Dang, I need some help! Seems every bike I get ends up with wiring issues and this girl knows very little about wiring.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
First I would trace out the power wire for the lightbar and see what it is hooked up to. Chances are it is tied to the headlight wire. DO you know if it was only operational on high beam or lo beam? Both?

If it is indeed tied to the headlight, first disconnect the lightbar from that wire. Get online and order a Gonzo-Harness. Then you are going to need to open up the starter button housing and remove the start switch. Clean the contacts really well. You may have plastic glazed over it if it was getting too hot from the additional load. Scrape it off. You might (MIGHT) be able to salvage the switch if it isn't too far gone. If it is you are out another $75 for another assembly. Call your local dealer or go to Honda Directlineusa.com or something of the sort and order it there,. Takes about a week and a half but you can save several bucks from dealer cost.

Good luck!

Gonz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some progress...

getting no voltage behind the light, so I removed the starter housing. Sure enough, when I pressed in 1/4 of the way on the switch, the headlights came on as normal.
I was thinking this course of action:
Simple, get some contact cleaner and try cleaning the switch. If that fails, I guess the switch is removed by that little phillips under the wires? Remove switch and clean it good. If still no luck, order a new switch.
In any case, it seems I better disconnect the light bar (yes Gonz, it is wired into the headlight) and order a gonz harness (2 actually, my friend is destined to meet the same fate). Presently, it only works with the regular light, not the high beam.
Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?
Thanks so much for all the good information. If not for this forum, I would be at the mercy of the mechanic who installed it wrong in the first place. I anticipated a problem, and I got it!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would pull the switch apart anyway and lightly buff teh contacts with some wool just to be sure there is not melted plastic on it.

The Honda mechanics install these light bars the same way.....

Check out the headlight harness for a total solution for saving that switch. Is your bar Cobra?

Gonz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.