Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm doing this right! I actually have a question - I bought my bike on Saturday. They serviced it and it has a full tank of gas, clean oil - new filter - all the good stuff. My question is, when should I drain the carb? I don't necessarily plan on putting it up for the winter yet, I'm hoping to have it out a few more times if the weather cooperates (I need to learn to ride it comfortably!). We're not sure how long it can sit before we drain the carb. We did put fuel stabilizer in the tank. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,477 Posts
Welcome.

It can't hurt to drain the carbs anytime to get any sediment out of the bowls.

Most guys put stabilizer in the fuel and leave it in the carbs after ride for winter.

Not sure if dry carbs are better or not. I don't drain mine.

If the small amount of fuel left over has a chance to dry will it cause more problems because of a layer of crusty sediment???

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Welcome!
What swifty2014 said about the carbs. I don't put my bike up for the winter, here in Central Alabama we can ride most of the year and have never gone over a week or so without riding the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As mentioned, most just stabilize the fuel and leave them be. I used to run my outboards dry for the winter, but never bothered with the bike as I try to ride all year, road conditions permitting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are not planning to ride it on a regular basis, I suggest you to fill the tank up with ethanol-free fuel, if available in your area. Ethanol in a regular gas has a tendency to attract water from the humid air that may cause the formation of rust inside your steel tank. If you drain carburetor bowls, check for the presence of the fine rust sediment. It may tell you something about your bike's history.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts