Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm considering the purchase of either a Honda Shadow Spirit or the Suzuki S83. There are particulars that each bike has that I like. Even though the Honda has a smaller engine I am inclined to pick the Spirit over the S83.
Can the Shadow owners give me a heads up on what quirks the Shadow bikes may have as far as updates or maintenance issues are concerned?
I can't imagine that there would be too many issues with the Shadow line since they are after all Hondas.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Quirks, I think the only rally common quirk that may bug you is the clunk between 1st and second and if you do a lot of group or parade rides, the gearing is not the best in range. Beyond that, it is agile at low speeds, very immune to cross winds in my opinion and mine love to sit at 85 indicated all day long and the fan rarely comes on. I have nothing negative to say about the bike other then it seems to be the least accesorisable bike I have had. It is hard to find mods for it, but then again, it really doesn’t need many. It took a while for me to get used to the foot peg position. I cant imagine I will be changing bikes anytime soon. I bought mine in June and have 12800 miles on it, I do my own maintenance which is next to nothing ( oils changes, final drive oil and tightening certain nuts and bolts as time goes by). My major complaint is the size of the tank. I get to work and back and have to fill it. I could not drive to vegas from here with out taking some gas with me. I also think it sucks on fuel consumption ( about 44mpg) but that may be my fat a#$ that has an affect on that.

I also was in luck to buy an 05 that had a candy red that’s unbelievable. I have seen 06’s in the blue and salivate over that color too, but Honda was not to creative in making colors available.

Just my .02c :D Cheers

·
Registered
622 Posts
Welcome to the board. Honda is in the middle of changes on the 750 Spirit in 2008. There was a previous thread on it so goto http://hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40593. Chain vs drive shaft, dual carb vs single carb, etc.

I ride a 2005 750 Shadow Aero which has a retro look, and the newer Spirit is closer to it than the older Spirit. I prefer shaft drive and low maintenance and after just 13,000 miles I don't have enough experience with it because I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. Before this I had a couple of Yamaha's back-in-the-day. As for the Suzy, I know one guy that had one and he put 40,000 miles on it before buying a bigger bike. He didn't have any trouble with it at all. Good luck shopping and buy what you think is the right bike for you. And if this is your first bike, buy used, its a cheaper learning experience that way if you drop it.

Bruce

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
So how big is the S83 anyway? I find it interesting that everything on the specs page is in metric measurements except the displacement which is in cubic inches. They're trying to compete with HD I assume, but makes it difficult for us non-math-geniuses to compare models.

One other advantage to the Hondas is that they have a liquid cooling system rather than being air cooled. Not a big deal on the highway, but definitely helps in town or in traffic. I would think a liquid cooled engine will run in a much more consistent temperature range than air cooled would.

CB

·
Registered
949 Posts
CleoBen said:
So how big is the S83 anyway? I find it interesting that everything on the specs page is in metric measurements except the displacement which is in cubic inches. They're trying to compete with HD I assume, but makes it difficult for us non-math-geniuses to compare models.

One other advantage to the Hondas is that they have a liquid cooling system rather than being air cooled. Not a big deal on the highway, but definitely helps in town or in traffic. I would think a liquid cooled engine will run in a much more consistent temperature range than air cooled would.

CB
The 1100 is a 67ci engine

AngryHatter said:
Quirks?
It's a Honda.
Change the oil.

Next question.
:mrgreen:
ROFLMAO

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you looking at new or used? Is this your first bike? Have you ridden or sat on either?
Personally I'd buy used that way if I decided to et something different I could resell for almost as much as I bought for if I decided it wasn't the bike for me.

BTW 83ci = 1360cc

·
Registered
949 Posts
beowulf said:
Are you looking at new or used? Is this your first bike? Have you ridden or sat on either?
Personally I'd buy used that way if I decided to et something different I could resell for almost as much as I bought for if I decided it wasn't the bike for me.

BTW 83ci = 1360cc
BTW 83ci = 1360cc = TOO FRIGGIN BIG!!!

My Geo Convertable only had a 1000cc 3 cyl engine

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The S83 is the old Intruder 1400 minus the backrest. Intruder is old styling as is the Spirit. Have always heard that the 1400's engine is a screamer, haven't ridden one to verify it. When I sat on the Intruder it seemed like it was a smaller bike than the Shadow. It also has the smaller gas tank, 3.4 gallons vs 4.2 on the Spirit. But, like the Spirit, it's been around forever and is probably just as reliable.
JMO

Sam

·
Registered
942 Posts
My son has a 1400, believe me it is a screamer. I (accidently) managed to get the front tire off the ground in secound gear. Talk about a pucker moment. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts