Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Check the tires for age, even if they look good the rubber will harden with time. You NEED good rubber on the road!

Check the brakes to see if they are working ok. Even if they are, I would flush them with some new brake fluid.

Lube the cables and make sure they are working properly.

Check the adjustment on the clutch cable. If it is set too tight the previous owner may have been riding the clutch and not knowing it. there should be 3/8" to 3/4" play in the clutch lever.

Change oil and filter after a short ride. Use a good oil filter, Purolator Pure One series is a real good choice if you can locate one (PL14610)

Check to see that if there are any driving lights installed that they are not run off the headlight circuit... That can cause the starter switch to fail. You may want to add a relay circuit for the driving lights if you have them.

If you have shaft drive it wouldnt hurt to drive it around a little bit to warm up the final drive assy and replace the hypoid gear oil. It dont take but about 4.4 ounces.

One thing that I have seen on three shadow 1100s is there are three wires that come up from the altenator that are yellow. The jack for that is under the seat. Check that inline connector to see if it looks like it has undergone any heat stress. I cut out the connectors and soldered them together due to heat fatigue on the three I dealt with. (One had started to smoke on a friends bike while he was in my driveway... Kinda killed our plans for the afternoon).

Run some Seafoam in the gas tank to help clean the carbs. Some people follow the directions on the can, some use a whole 16oz can to a tank full. I like to double the recommended amount the first time through.

Check the air breather line for the gas tank. Sometimes it gets clogged.

Check the air filter and drain any oil or moisture in the breather box. (The line for that is the plugged line on the lower left side of the bike.)

Check your battery connections for corrosion. Also check the frame below the battery for any corrosion and make sure the battery's drain line is connected and routed properly.

Check your spark plugs. When you reinstall them use a little antiseize on the threads.

I have written these things as I could think of them. There are more things to check I am sure. Others should chime in with links to more information or give you some more ideas. :)

Enjoy the new (to you) toy!
Mark

· Registered
87 Posts
Buy a Clymer manual. In it, it will give you the suggested maintenance items with the suggested mileage intervals, etc... If you do not know the history of the bike, do them all. If the bike was maintained, most of them will be simple checks. If not, you will be replacing all fluids, checking free play and lubing cables and doing a tune up. The great thing is by the time you are done you are very familiar with your new bike...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.