Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first bike was a 96 yzf600r then I got a 03 r6 and now i have a sabre 1100 and I hate it I miss the power but I like the comfort I need something powerful but nice for my lady so she isn't nagging about how uncomfortable she is on the sena (yes she can nag when ever she wants for as long as she wants) any ideas old or new bikes we go for relatively long rides when we can 8 hour rides or camping most of the time just a couple of hours maybe 4 and I would be riding everyday about 40 miles

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See if you can find an interstate vt1300,

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm looking for power a 1300 has some I was looking into maybe a vtx1800 or sport touring I want to try to get r6 joy out if a bike you know the get off the bike and your shaking because the bike became one with you

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not new, but maybe new to you.
I think if you are staying with Honda then the V65 is probably the most really powerful cruiser period.
They are old, somewhat rare, likely difficult to find parts for, but OMFlyingGosh fast.
The were a bike that people bought, scared the excrement out of themselves and parked in their garage to talk about forever.
Every now and again you come across crazy low mileage examples for sale relatively reasonably as garages are cleared out.

1983 Honda Magna V65 road test ? Ye Olde Cycle Shoppe

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
My first bike was a 96 yzf600r then I got a 03 r6 and now i have a sabre 1100 and I hate it I miss the power but I like the comfort I need something powerful but nice for my lady so she isn't nagging about how uncomfortable she is on the sena (yes she can nag when ever she wants for as long as she wants) any ideas old or new bikes we go for relatively long rides when we can 8 hour rides or camping most of the time just a couple of hours maybe 4 and I would be riding everyday about 40 miles

Confused here (as usual). Are you asking for advice on which bike to get next?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm looking for power a 1300 has some I was looking into maybe a vtx1800 or sport touring I want to try to get r6 joy out if a bike you know the get off the bike and your shaking because the bike became one with you
Then stop foolin around. Get yourself a 2007 BOSS HOSS BHC 3 That's if money's no object. I'm Dreaming!! :grin2: I've always secretly wanted one...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Look for an older Valkyrie tourer, power, comfort and a classic look.

https://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/d/oceano-1997-honda-valkyrie-tourer/6902999493.html

Valkyrie standard or tourer. Comfort wise the only thing I've done is put on a 2000-2003 standard driver seat as it is more comfortable than the previous years @$115 otherwise as it sits in the pic, 800 lbs. with full tank and all my road essentials. VTX 1800 are equal in weight and power (undressed) but a little bit too top heavy for my scrawny arse. My Valk is the easiest bike I ever owned/serviced. You'll LOVE the power band on these Dragons.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You might want to check out The Harley Dyna's. They're out of production now but the last ones were up to a 103 CI engine. For a long time they were 96 cubic inch engines. Plenty of torque. Personally I've checked out a couple of Super Glides. They don't weigh much more than a Shadow, comfortable with two people and have more power and better brakes than my Shadow.

You sound like you are in my boat. I rode trail bikes then my first street bike was a 76 Honda 250 endro. Form there a XS400 cafe racer and the need for speed went up from there. I've never bought a new bike because there is always some guy that got in over his head or just didn't ride what he bought. That let me change bikes fairly quickly. I had had a couple of kids so the bikes went away for 10 years but I'm back. I went out and bought a 99 Shadow Spirit 1100.

I don't like big heavy bikes, the 1100 Shadow is as big as I want to go. Liked the style, paint price and the fact it was all mechanical as opposed to fuel injected, electronics etc. It does every thing I want it to do and it is fairly quick off the line compared to just about anything. I have had bikes that off the line the main struggle is keeping the front wheel down. I'm over that.

I would go ride a Dyna if I was you. Another bike I want to check out is this,
Don't know if it would deal well with two riders but ????

I'm still looking around at what comes up for sale, like my Shadow don't love it. A little more power and and twin discs up front would make me love my Shadow.

Another video.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I almost never buy exactly what I want, I buy what I can get cheap and build what I want out of it. Believe it or not, I never looked at an 84 500 Shadow and said "Wow! Thats beautiful! I want that bike" but I hear it a out mine all the time. I think if I had unlimited cash flow Id buy a Ducati Monster, Love that bike. Id still customize it but it would be very hard to improve it because in my opinion it close to perfect already.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

I know how you feel, did the same thing. Sold my FZ-10 and got a VT-1100 Sabre too.

If you'd like more power comfort and stay with a V-Twin; look at a Stratoliner/Roadliner or even a Raider. 0-60 mph 4.3 (4.0 Raider) | Quarter mile 12.5 (12.3 Rader)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I know how you feel, did the same thing. Sold my FZ-10 and got a VT-1100 Sabre too.

If you'd like more power comfort and stay with a V-Twin; look at a Stratoliner/Roadliner or even a Raider. 0-60 mph 4.3 (4.0 Raider) | Quarter mile 12.5 (12.3 Rader)
It's sad in a way what was lost with Honda's cruiser evolution, the original 1983 VT750 Shadow would routinely knock off high 12 second quarter miles, the modern ones are a full 2 seconds slower.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
St1300. Any year. Pic the color you like, find it. One color per year.
The bikes have tons of power, never knows if I am 2 up or solo. You can find nice ones with reasonable miles often. Cheaper, ST1100, same type bike, very similar power, but no fuel injection or timing chain (has a belt) and no adjustable windshield.
Now, the STs feel heavy and tall, until you hit 5mph, after that, smooth!!!! The 1300 is less top heavy feeling, but it is only, ONLY, felt at a walking pace. After you get your feet on the pegs, smooth as silk in curves, on the interstate it just eats the miles away, storage, with a trunk the wife and I are good for a weekend. No extra luggage strapped anywhere.
Sport Tourers, BMW are great, but pricey t9 buy and work on, and hard to work on, ask @Scared , he can speak up for a lot of this too.
The FJR is another super bike, a lot if ST guys move to them eventually, just to change up. They leave ST for 3 reasons....a good wing, a FJR or a BMW, and most hate the BMW maintenance....

FYI, my bike has 143k miles on it, nothing but routine maintenance on it. Since new, the previous owner is a friend of mine, he put over 100k in it.
Check them out, you won't be disappointed.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
For a no fuss do all bike the ST1300 is a great machine, Newer valkyrie with a seat change and so many other sport tourers

If you want the cruiser look and power with easy to get at maintenance an older valkyrie is great....the step up from the 1100 in power and smooth running is large

VTX1800 is a nice bike too, I didn't find it top heavy but at the drag strip the valkyrie always had the higher speed but the VTX was a little quicker of the line (but I was a little soft on the bike)

So many other options but I have not ridden them so wont comment

My bike that is comfortable for the wife and goes very well

At the strip with a mate on his VTX

It was fun at the track too and even the Triumph rocket didn't pull away...the Valk revs harder :p

and my bike as it stands now

:)

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
For a no fuss do all bike the ST1300 is a great machine, Newer valkyrie with a seat change and so many other sport tourers

If you want the cruiser look and power with easy to get at maintenance an older valkyrie is great....the step up from the 1100 in power and smooth running is large

VTX1800 is a nice bike too, I didn't find it top heavy but at the drag strip the valkyrie always had the higher speed but the VTX was a little quicker of the line (but I was a little soft on the bike)

So many other options but I have not ridden them so wont comment

My bike that is comfortable for the wife and goes very well

At the strip with a mate on his VTX

It was fun at the track too and even the Triumph rocket didn't pull away...the Valk revs harder

and my bike as it stands now

:)
Your bike looks great btw! Haven't seen a pic recently, very nice!

I have rode the 3 models you listed, they all have great power, none are lightweight, all about the same weight range ST maybe 100 lbs lighter than the interstate model, not sure. They all are fairly agile in curves, but...the 1800 has to be forced into the curves more, it does fine, really does, BUT of the 3 bikes, it has to be made to flow into them. The Valk would be 2nd of the 3, flows nicely into curves, plenty power, throttle response is not as fast because carbs vs fuel injection, but it isn't that much slower. The Valk is a sewing machine, a fine one at that, can't knock them. The ST, not the prettiest in most people's eye, I love them, but hey, cruisers are pretty, but....i ride for fun and safety, not to be pretty, the ST pulls hard, front tire lifts in 1st and second easily, fuel, well, 7 gallon plus tank is the biggest, mpg is as good as either of the other 2, and well, in curves, the Valk and a really good rider can hang close to the ST, but if that really good rider is on the ST, it's gonna pull away.
Storage on Valk, saddle bags only, not talking trunks....the Valk has tons and tons of space, they are crazy big!
ST bags hold a lot, they are very very easy to remove for maint and cleaning, can be taken in to a hotel room as your luggage, bike ridden without them.
VTX 1800, but bags are available, but, they normally don't hold as much as the ST from what I have seen, some big hard bags do tho.

Bottom line, probably 3 of the 4 best bikes Honda has made for their purpose. 1-2 up riding fun with power to go a long haul.
Some argue they quit making them and they were stupid, I agree, but....you don't see dead or worn out bikes in these models anywhere, they are Honda's, they keep going. Valks and STs are regularly seen well over 250k miles still running as strong as when they left the factory!
Did I mention smooth, the Valk is the smoothest engine built, ever, Google "coin balancing on motorcycle engine" bet no other bike can do it. My ST is close, but no flat accessible surface to test it on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
St1300. They leave ST for 3 reasons....a good wing, a FJR or a BMW, and most hate the BMW maintenance....

FYI, my bike has 143k miles on it, nothing but routine maintenance on it. Since new, the previous owner is a friend of mine, he put over 100k in it.
Check them out, you won't be disappointed.

Loved my FJR and it was the bike I should have never sold.

Great all around bike and during acceleration, hit 5k on the tach it feels like the hand of god pushing you down the road.

Bags big enough to hold a FF helmet and a lot of accessories to boot. First valve inspection at 26k miles, other than that just oil changes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
venturai
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing