Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
When you let the clutch out, is the lever closer to the grip or closer to the perch. Grip grab is a new clutch. Grip near the perch, clutch is worn out. Which is it?

-Edit-

Did you add a steel like I said?
Did you see if it looks like the last plate will fall out?
Did you stack all the plates on the clutch inner to see if it will fall out?
Did you see if you could start the threads once the pressure plate is installed.

Signed,
NOLTT

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ok. I bought new friction plates kept the old steel plates they were only a month use on them so I figured they’re ok. Get it together and the clutch is still slipping at start up and high RPMs. Does anyone have a solution?
Did you change the springs??
:unsure:
A spring change to EBC or Barnett +10% springs is the 1st fix for clutch slippage.
The plates can be measured for wear and I have never found any to be worn/out of spec. and a simple spring change has always been the cure.
jmo,

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
211 Posts
A spring change to EBC or Barnett +10% springs is the 1st fix for clutch slippage.
The plates can be measured for wear and I have never found any to be worn/out of spec. and a simple spring change has always been the cure.
jmo,
I just put a set of EBC fiber discs and +10 springs in mine. When I ordered the parts I took a chance that the steel plates were fine. Once I got it apart, not only were the steel plates fine, but in reality the fiber discs were also in good shape. Probably all I needed were the springs. I put the new discs in anyway, because I had 'em. It's ok though, because now I know how to do it.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmo,
This has a plate spring and is no longer available. I emailed Barnett to see if I could use a spring from another bike and the idiots replied, “Yeah that spring model is not available anymore.”

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you let the clutch out, is the lever closer to the grip or closer to the perch. Grip grab is a new clutch. Grip near the perch, clutch is worn out. Which is it?

-Edit-

Did you see if you could start the threads once the pressure plate is installed.

Signed,
NOLTT
I didn’t have an extra steel plate but I noticed that the last plate just fits in the basket. If I add another steel plate it will fit in the clutch basket. So I thought about buying an extra steel plate but do you think it would work without the last plate fitting in the basket?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

-Edit-

Signed,
NOLTT
The clutch let’s out closer to the perch

·
Registered
409 Posts
I noticed that the last plate just fits in the basket.
Last plate is fiber, right?

So I thought about buying an extra steel plate but do you think it would work without the last plate fitting in the basket?
You're saying that if you stack 7-8-9 plates into 2-clutch outer, the last plate is just at the edge of the fork tangs of the clutch outer? If you had another steel plate behind the last friction plate, the friction plate would fall out, or is at the ragged edge of falling out, yes or no in your estimation. A photo with your finger pressed on the last friction plate to see how much inner edge is left on the fork tangs. I'd know if will work that way too.

The clutch let's out closer to the perch
Kind of grasp how it takes the bite more at the grip when the stack is new and fresh.
But at the perch, the wear thins the stack down, takes more lever to engage the plates farther in.
However, spring tension collapse like the one wave washer more flat than concaved, could act the lever throw more to the perch. Kind of see it yet?

So by looking at the stack with a fingers pressed around the last plate, looks like another plate behind it would let the last plate fall out? Then it's not the stack. A steel is not going to do it. It's the wave washer in collapse of going flat is the guess.

·
Registered
925 Posts
This has a plate spring and is no longer available. I emailed Barnett to see if I could use a spring from another bike and the idiots replied, “Yeah that spring model is not available anymore.”
Have you looked here for that "spring"?
Service Honda - Motorcycle ATV & UTV Parts Wholesale.
Vintage Honda Motorcycle Parts & Accesories
MegaZip - Genuine OEM Parts From Japan, USA, UAE | Online Store
Parts Finder Honda Direct Line St. Clairsville, OH (740) 676-4722
you might get lucky,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You're saying that if you stack 7-8-9 plates into 2-clutch outer, the last plate is just at the edge of the fork tangs of the clutch outer? If you had another steel plate behind the last friction plate, the friction plate would fall out, or is at the ragged edge of falling out, yes or no in your estimation. A photo with your finger pressed on the last friction plate to see how much inner edge is left on the fork tangs. I'd know if will work that way too.

Kind of grasp how it takes the bite more at the grip when the stack is new and fresh.
But at the perch, the wear thins the stack down, takes more lever to engage the plates farther in.
However, spring tension collapse like the one wave washer more flat than concaved, could act the lever throw more to the perch. Kind of see it yet?

So by looking at the stack with a fingers pressed around the last plate, looks like another plate behind it would let the last plate fall out? Then it's not the stack. A steel is not going to do it. It's the wave washer in collapse of going flat is the guess.
What is the wave washer?

Let me see if I can add the pic

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,815 Posts
I looked through some old parts I have and happen to have a brand new still in the bag Clutch spring 22441-mg8-000. It's yours if you want it. Send me an email rabresin(at)charter.net with an address and I'll send it along you can pay me what ever you think it's worth to you. I still think you have something else wrong. You've told us your using a Valvoline wet clutch oil but which one specifically. I'm skeptical because you say you had it working well for a while and then it started slipping again. That sounds a lot like the wrong oil to me.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenstone

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked through some old parts I have and happen to have a brand new still in the bag Clutch spring 22441-mg8-000. It's yours if you want it. Send me an email rabresin(at)charter.net with an address and I'll send it along you can pay me what ever you think it's worth to you. I still think you have something else wrong. You've told us your using a Valvoline wet clutch oil but which one specifically. I'm skeptical because you say you had it working well for a while and then it started slipping again. That sounds a lot like the wrong oil to me.
Thanks. That is the correct spring. I finally found one and ordered it. Not sure if it will help. I’m using Valvoline 10w 40 for wet clutch.

·
Registered
409 Posts
...have a brand new still in the bag Clutch spring 22441-mg8-000
Ramie, anyway to take a height measurement of that new spring? Keep it the bag, press a tape measure down at it on the bench/table/flat and see if both measure up. That way a collapsed spring is the problem, or assembly. Doubt it's assembly if he's ridden it, rebuilt it months ago, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ramie I emailed you

·
Registered
925 Posts
The concaved spring, instead of 5 or 6 individual springs, this is like a big ring with a curve to it. Wave washer spring is the kind in between two riveted steel plates. Me bad.
That cupped "spring" is known as a Belleville washer or coned disc spring or conical spring washer, etc.:
Belleville washer - Wikipedia
jmo,

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,815 Posts
Part is on it's way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts