Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock exhaust on a 2006 1100. Narrowed it sown to either Vanns and Hines are Hardkrome. This isnt a cheap prospect so I wanted to ask a few questions pleased.

Of these two, which will provide a better, deeper sound and possible a little performance enhancement.

It not that much difference over stock, would slipons be a better solution.

And based on the total cost of pipes and having to rejet, is it even worth it.

I am open to all suggestions so please help me.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
TRJam,

Check my post midway down on page 2 of this thread for a short video with sound of my HKs at idle.

I have a longer video available with other RPM ranges captured.

I rejetted per HK's advice, and like the better performance. Likely no horsepower gain, but a much better power curve.

CB

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Tr,

I have the Vance & Hines Classic IIs on my bike. I don't have a sound clip of them, but if you want, I will see what I can do.

The sound is deep...and loud...but also crisp. I like it but really liked the sound of CB's HardKromes.

Rejetting isn't really an option. The Shadows are set up lean from the factory and changing the exhaust typically requires rejetting to keep from a very lean condition. Some exhaust systems have enough backpressure to not truly require rejetting, but I would do it anyway. As CB mentioned, the change in the power band is well worth it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both of you. Going to wait a month or two and then make a choice. Spent enough for now. I do like the HardKromes though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TR,

I have the exact same bike, but a 1999. I've also been researching exhaust options. I'm down to Hard Krome 2.5" American Classics and Samson Warlord Canons. They both look real nice. I still can't make up my mind. I'm hoping someone on this site might sway me one way or the other. I don't want them so loud that I have to wear ear plugs, but do want that bark when accelarating hard. I got some awesome prices on both these exhaust options from www.motorcyclemart.com. Though these pipe are not listed on their site, they can get them for you at a great price. I think that I'm leaning more toward the Hard Krome. I just wish they were a bit longer like the Canons.
[/url]

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, my wife just said she would cover the HardKromes so off Friday to order them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks the V and H are about 50 bucks cheaper. Which one will have a cheaper rejet kit and be easier for the dealer to install. Just trying to save some money in the process.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
trjam said:
looks the V and H are about 50 bucks cheaper.
The V&H are plenty loud, but they don't have the deep rumble of the HKs or the Cannons. It comes down to your individual preference at this point, but I wouldn't compromise on the sound I wanted for that little price difference. But only you know your current financial situation, of course!

The hardest part of the rejet is accessing and removing the carbs through the hole between the frame rails under the tank. I left mine joined together, and the rejet was actually pretty easy once they were out. If you have any wrenching skills at all, I'd bet you could do the rejet yourself.

CB

·
Registered
539 Posts
Both brands are top notch so you can't go wrong.

But if you want a truely good sounding bike, you will have to trade that 1100 for a 750 Shadow! :lol:

Good luck with your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts