Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new Vance and Hines exhaust on my Shadow Ace 750 and was curious how tight I should crank down the bolts on the manifold. I cranked down until I couldn't crank anymore and noticed that the bracket was a little bowed, didn't know if that was normal. Also just curious how to make sure it isn't leaking at the manifold connection. I replaced the copper gaskets but not sure how to tell if it leaks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you're going to wrench yer ride, you need to get one of these:

25-250 in-lb Torque Wrench

You DON"T want to tighten anything on a motorcycle (or anything for that matter) until "you can't crank anymore" You DON"T want to snap that exhaust manifold stud (or bolt, screw, nut...)!

This is WAY cheaper than the pain of bustin' nuts! (pun intended)

Gumpy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can anyone tell me how to tell if the pipes are leaking around the manifold, and if the bracked is ok bowed or should i lossen the manifold bolts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
mfg02 said:
can anyone tell me how to tell if the pipes are leaking around the manifold, and if the bracked is ok bowed or should i lossen the manifold bolts
I just replaced the crush gasket on my Sabre, had a little leak from doing some heat shield work, after it warmed up could not hear the leak but everytime I back of the throttle it was back firing so that was my clue, since replacing no more back fire, you may have to just ride it for awhile to see if it's leaking :idea:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gumpy said:
If you're going to wrench yer ride, you need to get one of these:

25-250 in-lb Torque Wrench

You DON"T want to tighten anything on a motorcycle (or anything for that matter) until "you can't crank anymore" You DON"T want to snap that exhaust manifold stud (or bolt, screw, nut...)!

This is WAY cheaper than the pain of bustin' nuts! (pun intended)

Gumpy
+1

Mark

·
Registered
540 Posts
not sure what everyone else thinks, but the first thing that came to mind is soapy water, if the bike is cold and hasnt been runnning for a while
MAYBE...... put soapy water on the flange /fitting and start it up..... I would like you would be able to see bubbles before it got hot enough to evap.....
just a thought, alltho it might be off in left field.........
anyone else have thoughs on if that would work.

you might even wash the whole bike when your at it. :)

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The recommended torque is 16-17 ftlbs on the mainifold nuts. Personally I would take it as a lesson learned, replace the crush gaskets and do it right this time with a torque wrench - you are going to be in a world of hurt if a manifold stud snaps off in the head.

To tell if it is leaking hold a rag over the exaust (probably need some to help) and listen for hissing. A tight exhaust will create good amount of back pressure with no leaks.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
mfg02 said:
I cranked down until I couldn't crank anymore
mfg,
You could get a job at the local Honda dealer...........
Don't feel bad! The well trained, seasoned mechanic at the Honda dealer near my home did the same thing when he repaired a rear flat tire on my ACE. I had to use a 4-foot cheater bar to break the axle nut loose.

Seriously, take Gumpy's advice and buy yourself a quality torque wrench and use it. It'll be one of the best investments you've ever made in terms of your motorcycle; for both service issues as well as safety. You don't want stuff falling off your bike at 60mph, do you? You'll need a service manual also to get the torque values for all the fasteners on your machine.

Also, I keep a small bottle of "Blue" medium strength LocTite in my tool box. Whenever I undo any fastener on my bike (not plastic) before replacing it, I add a small dab of the blue LocTite on it to keep it from coming loose.
Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.