1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice setup! They should be shot for advertising that as 600 watts but other than that I am sure it will sound decent. I have a similar setup and it sounds good.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yes, 600 watts does sound a bit like overkill for a bike amp. I have a 500 watt amp on my other bike with 5-1/4" speakers and that's about as good as it gets!!
Even my Shark 250 watt system I have on the Shadow is able to drowned out my pipes and any traffic noise without having to turn it up very far.
Larger speakers make all the difference in the world. Both of my bikes had 4" speakers, which were OK for being able to hear the tunes at highways speeds, but now with 5-1/4" speakers, the tunes have a much fuller sound without having to crank up the volume. Just sayin".

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that.Now to find a sutiable place to mount them as I have no room on the Bars on the Spirit with the Memphis Shades Shooter mounts taking up all the room.I think I will mount them to the shield arms with 3/8th's Addell clamps and see how that works.I did get the Vista cruise installed and the LP frame also.:)

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Got the same Pyle system on my Tourer:

600W my shiny white hiney! Though it sounds OK, some larger speakers will make it sound great, and I will be installing some larger speakers sometime this spring/summer.

PainterD had a nice write-up on this board about the speakers he made for his bike a while back using some lamp housings, but I am unable to locate it, so if you would be so kind, PainterD? Please? With pics?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe that.Now to find a sutiable place to mount them as I have no room on the Bars on the Spirit with the Memphis Shades Shooter mounts taking up all the room.I think I will mount them to the shield arms with 3/8th's Addell clamps and see how that works.I did get the Vista cruise installed and the LP frame also.:)

Mine have brackets coming off the top windshield brace, so no handlebar room needed. I will take a pic and post up tomorrow so maybe you can get an idea.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Further to this discussion:

Patriot Audio offers a set of 4" speakers (chroming could be much better, IMO) that also offer decent sound:

http://www.patriotaudio.com/

But, they can be found off eBay in pairs much cheaper than $89 each. I got a pair from eBay from this seller, whom I e-mailed and offered $70 shipped and they accepted last year:

New Patriot Audio Real Chrome Motorcycle Speaker PAIR - eBay (item 350430510354 end time Mar-12-11 11:59:41 PST)

I put them on my "stupid little project" with a amp from China:

If you want to hear what they sound like via my wife's digital camera, I will gladly post a link. Not a lot of bass, but more than adequate for riding and hearing tunes!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
OK, these are the speakers I ran for a few years. They are Rumble Rods amplified speakers (small amps inside each speaker)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/001-4.jpg

Now after some research I did with amps/speakers, I decided to go with larger speakers as long as I was making my own system from scratch for my other bike. I made my own speaker housings to mount 5-1/4" speakers, which sound alot better. I used some plastic cylinders I found (they are actually concrete test cylinders) I cut a 3" section out of the bottom of the cylinders for the housings and mounted the speakers in them, then covered them with black vinyl to dress them up a bit.
Here's a pair I mounted in my fairing for the Shadow:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/002-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/001-2.jpg

I used L-shaped brackets from the hardware store glued to the fairing to mount them with speed nuts. They sound so much better than the 4" speakers.

I also did the same mod on my 750 Yamaha using the same housings mounted to the back of the windshield with longer screws (I don't have a photo of that one right now, so if you need some I'll go out and shoot few pics) PD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts