Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just aquired a 99 VT100 as a winter project. I have several other bikes and bought the 1100 from an owner who only had it a few months. It has about 20K on it and is [email protected]#king loud. Two questions. I wwent to order a service manual and of course they list an Ace - Shadow - Custom as possible model choices. The title only says VT1100. How do I easily tell which. Also it is difficult to start. The previous owner said the chock was "really sensitive" and only needed to be slightly on in order to get it to start. I've only had the ability to start it the once when I first had it, never cold. This sympton ring a bell for anyone? I am planning on dumping a grand into over the winter (battery is one item) and removing all the *******izing parts that have been added. I wouldn't mind going to the factory exhaust or at least soemthing a whole lot quieter. What year ranges will fit this beast. OK - that was a third question. ANy help I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

Bob Fynbo

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Bob,

Let me save you about $60. Email your mailing address to me at [email protected] and I will mail you a CD copy of my manual.

As for the hard starting. If the bike has been "modified" as much as you lead on...chance are when they installed the loud pipes, they had to rejet the carbs. In doing this, they could have put too large of a jet in it...which would flood the bike when the choke was engaged. If this is true, you shouldn't need much choke to start the bike. If the bike hasn't been ridden much...or lately...your carbs may be gunked up with crude. You can try running Seafoam through them...but depending how long it has actually sat, it may not get it. Nothing beats a good tear-down/cleaning when it comes to the little passages on a carb.

Parts compatibility should be pretty easy...depending on the parts you want to put on it. There really hasn't been changes to the bike since they went to the 5-speed tranny in 96 or 97. Prior to that, the pipes were the only major difference...well, other than the tranny. You should be able to bolt on anything from the VT1100 (or Spirit 1100) to your bike.

Good luck with the project and let us know if you have any questions.

Joe

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Replace the 'T' battery with a good AGM - it will not be a T but will be a better battery all the way around. Check on line the Yuasa YTZ14S should be the one that fits, www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com is one of the better places to look for cross references and purchases.

You will have to rejet if you go back to stock exhaust. Which means ordering a Jet Kit from Dynojet and following their instructions (even with stock exhaust the bike will run much better with the correct jetting). You may be able to get away with ordering just the needed jets if you have a DJ kit installed (adjustable needle for the mid range jet is a big part of the kit).

Stock exhaust for VT1100C (Spirit - the one with the short rear fender - like in my sig pic) are very cheap and easy to find....I have two sets of them in stock myself.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Stock exhaust for VT1100C (Spirit - the one with the short rear fender - like in my sig pic) are very cheap and easy to find....I have two sets of them in stock myself.
hey Chuck...

You can't see the short rear fender in your sig pic. :D

Here...use this one...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Hey Bob,
Let me save you about $60. Email your mailing address to me at [email protected] and I will mail you a CD copy of my manual.
DO we know yet that he has the VT1100C Spirit? If we could see a picture of it, that way everybody will be on the same page by knowing what bike he has??
MarkC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for the help According to the VIN I have a Shadow ACE. My concern is that although aftermarket pipes have been put on, I have no proof that they ever re-jetted the carbs. A little tear down and cleaning is probably on order anyways. I pretty sure that I'm going to have to pretty much go through this thing top to bottom. Anyone who has a half way decent full exhuast that they'd be willing to part with reasonable, I'd bve happy to paypal some money over and send a UPS pre-paid pickup tag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures

These are two pictures of 1100 as I received it. The other is a 02 VTX 1800 as I was redoing it. You get a general idea of what I'm going after. I want to strip the Shadow down to a basic black and chrome cruiser. The sissy bar and luggage rack seem to be in good shape if anyone is interested in them. The saddlebags, tank cover, and other bits will be removed and tossed. I thank all for there help on this. I can't figure out quick how to upload photos, they can be viewed at

http://www.bobfynbo.com/public/Bike/

Thanks,

Bob Fynbo[/img]

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, great place and you have already met some great folks ( my self included of course :wink: ).

Like the VTX. i take it you do all the work yourself. Also, love your furniture, my wife and i are into that so look out for a PM from me regarding something custom.

Cheers

Dragoon

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice workshop!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice bike by the way bearkatbiker. Yeah, it has a leak I have to locate. Need to clean it up and start stripping it down. Looks like it's somewhere around gasket on underside left. I only paid $800.00 for the bike and it seems to run well. I'm hoping it keeps me from messing with my new BMW K1200GT out of boredom!

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
If you've got a 99 1100 ACE then you've likely got an issue with the guide plug leak -- and the picture sure seems to look like it (the oil on the floor). Here's a link to a quick "patch" http://adlowe.net/Motorcycle/Shadow_Guide_Plug_Patch.pdf that includes a link to the actual repair AND a part-number correction to an error in the repair. The parts needed are something like $68 from http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/.

BTW, this is what the stock pipes and shocks look like on a 99 1100 ACE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
adlowe said:
If you've got a 99 1100 ACE then you've likely got an issue with the guide plug leak -- and the picture sure seems to look like it (the oil on the floor). Here's a link to a quick "patch" http://adlowe.net/Motorcycle/Shadow_Guide_Plug_Patch.pdf that includes a link to the actual repair AND a part-number correction to an error in the repair. The parts needed are something like $68 from http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/.

Now that's all around plain helpful information. Damn you got to love these forums. I appreciate both the link and the photo.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Now that's all around plain helpful information.
This place has been just incredible for helping me -- from the complicated things like the guideplug leak* to simple things like providing links to interesting places to ride.

Visit often and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here!

*That's what got me here; I stumbled across this place while trying to find out what my oil leak was all about. Since then, I haven't seen 6 weeks pass without someone posting something about a leak that might be the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guide Plug Leak Shadow 1100 1998 Link

I looked over the the write-ups. I think the quick fix using jb weld / epoxy could be a great time saver.

http://adlowe.net/Motorcycle/Shadow_Guide_Plug_Patch.pdf

Back when I had this leak in 2000-2001 on my 1998 Shadow Aero VT1100 C3 almost no one seemed to know about the problem or how common it was. Unfortunately, I ordered a new gasket cover and fixed a 2nd leak coming from a little above the area. I then went back to the dealer and identified the "guid plug" part of the leak. The second time around I took pictures and wrote the whole thing up. I had the single pin crank motor which vibrated a lot and that might have cause it to move more. I think the leak occured around 6,500mi? I wrote this repair procedure and posted it to different forums and it took a number of years for the word to spread about this known problem and the exact cause and solution.:

http://www.wecandobetter.com/dnload/HondaOilLeakRepair4-17-2001.zip

and someone named Joel? did a nice job editing it and matching pictures to each step.

http://bis.midco.net/92merc/mcycle/tech/guide_plug/guide_plug.pdf

PaulC

adlowe said:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Back when I had this leak in 2000-2001 on my 1998 Shadow Aero VT1100 C3 almost no one seemed to know about the problem or how common it was.
I ran into the same problem last June when my "drip" became an outright-puddling leak about 250 miles from home. The JB Weld quick fix was the suggestion of the parts manager at a Honda motorcycle dealer -- after 3+ hours on a Saturday morning poring over Honda service manuals to no avail. (The service guy on duty was too young to have read the article in Wrench.)

After searching online (and discovering this forum), I stumbled across (Joel's?) posting and made plans to do the full repair. But I wanted to test the JB Weld patch for durability (about 1,000 miles or so -- actually more than that with no "hard" riding) while not losing any riding time. Of course, Winter came on harder than I expected so I haven't done the work yet (probably next week) but I've had all the parts for months.

As for word spreading, I've made that a bit of a mission due to the difficulty I had in finding out about this problem. Since my encounter* with it, not a month has gone by without encountering at least 2 Shadow owners who had the problem and didn't know what to do about it.

Thanks for posting your repair; I'll go through it before I start the work on my bike. A couple of notes for anyone else reading thsi thread:
- The JB Weld "patch" instructions include a link to (Joel's?) repair instructions.
- They also include a correction to a part-number error in the repair instructions.
- The parts cost about $62 at http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/, including shipping.

* My bike was dripping oil on the garage floor for 2 or 3 years and I paid it no attention; it wasn't enough of an issue fr me to do anything more than park over an old welcome mat. But last Spring, the bike suddenly started leaving puddles of oil on the ground when I stopped for gas -- that's what I'e just called "encounter".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts