Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m Daniel and just joined. I got my 1983 Shadow 750 from my dad last summer but haven’t done anything with it yet. He has had it since the 90s, and I think the guy who owned it previously was the original or 2nd owner. Supposedly, it was the first one sold in my state, but I don’t know if that’s actually true (probably not 😆)

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

It’s definitely in the shape you’d expect of a maintained but not babied bike. I’ve started tearing it down to remove surface rust; it’ll need some paint. Planning to do a bobber style. I’m wondering how hard the ride is if I use solid connectors rather than springs/struts. I’m about to turn 40, and I had lower back surgery a couple of years ago. So, wanting a good-looking bike, but I also need it to not be too rough on me 👴🏼

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you get rid of the stock suspension the quality of your ride is going to rest solely on the quality of that little spring connecting the seat to the frame. I'm thinking you'll feel every little bump and vibration in the road.
You'll probably be OK to run in for a cup of coffee but you'll probably hurting if you try riding in to work.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Search around and you'll find plenty of build threads on here from folks who have did the same.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get rid of the stock suspension the quality of your ride is going to rest solely on the quality of that little spring connecting the seat to the frame. I'm thinking you'll feel every little bump and vibration in the road.
You'll probably be OK to run in for a cup of coffee but you'll probably hurting if you try riding in to work.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy PeriodicNewk!

Hmmm...lower back surgery vs. hardtail bobber...which one do you think would win? :unsure:

Good luck!

:)
Well, based on my asking the question, it’s pretty obvious that I have a concern. Otherwise I would just do it with no worries. Having never actually ridden one before, I thought it would be best to ask those who have because maybe my presumption is incorrect. Thanks for the smartass reply though as soon as I join the forum. Definitely makes new people feel welcome 🤡

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
let me put it this way, followed a guy on a hardtail down the highway once while commuting to work on my bike. Every little bump or rough spot I barely felt, he was bouncing 6" up off the seat and struggling to maintain control.. Had me laughing...

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,726 Posts
They do look good sitting there but I've had struts, short shocks and stock shocks on the same bike. Struts are good for short "bar hopping" rides. Short shocks are good but even on the soft setting, they are not as good as the stock shocks. Stock shocks smooth out the road. If you can take a little bit of firmness, you could go with the shorty shocks.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Whatever you decide to do I'll be interested to see the process as well as the final product.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hopefully @Aced It sticks his head in. He's put together some pretty sharp looking rides.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
I "Hardtailed" my 71 CB750-4 when I was still young...
It weren`t "No Pleasure Cruise"...
I put struts between the swingarm and frame first, and rode it...
Figured That all that bad...
Cut the frame and welded pipe to fit to the swingarm, It LOOKED GOOD !
Rode like $#!+...
It were`nt "Too Bad" BUT but I won`t doit again...

What with your back issue, I suggest Stick with Shocks or figure up a "Monoshock system"

BUT You can always Try it, Put some 1" x 1/4" flat metal struts in...
Thattway You can see for yourself IF Your Back will withstand the punishment,
Dennis

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,726 Posts
let me put it this way, followed a guy on a hardtail down the highway once while commuting to work on my bike. Every little bump or rough spot I barely felt, he was bouncing 6" up off the seat and struggling to maintain control.. Had me laughing...
I've been that guy! :LOL:. These PA roads can really hurt.

• Wow
1 - 13 of 13 Posts