Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went to pick up a 2002 ACE 750 from a little old lady who said it belonged to her son. He died years ago, and it had been sitting in her garage.

It hasn't been on the road since 2010, but is in relatively great shape. A few scratches and some pitting chrome, but most of it should clean up nicely.

Obviously, sitting for that long is not ideal. I removed the tank today and it is full of bad gas. The petcock was also clogged solid, and missing the mesh screen. I was able to get the petcock cleaned out and working again, but I know the carbs are going to need rebuilt.

Can anybody tell me what kits I will need to rebuild the carbs so I can get them ordered before I remove them? Aftermarket is fine if there is a decent quality kit.

Here is a picture of her after unloading her from my truck. She will need alot of scrubbing and polishing, but I think it will make a pretty bike to add to my stable.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

The pilion seat is not shown, but I do have it.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,287 Posts
I would pick up a couple of bowl gaskets for the carbs and then you might not need them, but if you do you have got them.
If the fuel was turned off things might not be too bad other than sediment in the bowls.
I would clean all the pieces up and reuse, replacing single items where necessary.
I prefer Keihin stuff from Honda, but K & L parts are good and sourced from Japan and available from Dennis Kirk and others online.
I also use jets from EBC if I can't get Keihins, but you should not need new jets.

Stay away from cheap Chinese kits on eBay and Amazon as they are mostly junk and a time waster at best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would pick up a couple of bowl gaskets for the carbs and then you might not need them, but if you do you have got them.
If the fuel was turned off things might not be too bad other than sediment in the bowls.
I would clean all the pieces up and reuse, replacing single items where necessary.
I prefer Keihin stuff from Honda, but K & L parts are good and sourced from Japan and available from Dennis Kirk and others online.
I also use jets from EBC if I can't get Keihins, but you should not need new jets.

Stay away from cheap Chinese kits on eBay and Amazon as they are mostly junk and a time waster at best.
Unfortunately the petcock was not turned off, but the filter was not clogged. I have rebuilt countless carbs on small engines, so im not too worried about it. But as nasty as the petcock was, I'm not expecting to get by with just a cleaning.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,287 Posts
If the carbs floats and needles were still working and the oil in the sump doesn't smell like gasoline or vintage lacquer then the real mess is probably confined to the bowls and the jets.
You might be surprised when you pop them apart, IME in long term "it ran when parked" storage, floats tend to eventually stick off not on.

BTW A nice looking bike.
You definitely did the right thing dealing with the tank first.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,321 Posts
i agree gaskets only just in case but my experience with Honda engines and Keihin carbs has been the tolerances are so good may not be needed.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Welcome, Same color scheme as my 03, Bought mine in 09, I've now had my Ace longer than any other bike I've ever owned. My 1100 Ace is in 2nd place. by about 6 months.

Reactions: Freudianfloyd

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,284 Posts
Lots of great info in here so far and that’s a good looking ride! One of my favorite color schemes for the ACE. Since it’s an ‘03 I’d get a set of new OEM lower carb boots, they’ll probably be stiff at this point and it makes getting the carbs back on way easier with new pliable lower boots. Have a look at the coolant crossover tube between the cylinders on the cylinder jugs after you get it running and up to temp, that’s a common leak point and with what are probably 18 year old O-rings in there I would at very least keep an eye on it after every ride. Hopefully the coolant system faired better than the gas tank while it was sitting, I really don’t like cleaning up calcified coolant and I hope you don’t need to!

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a good quality aftermarket petcock available for these bikes? I got the original one cleaned up and working, but the brass tube has a crack in it so it may not last long. I just hate to spend $75 for a factory piece before I even know if I want to keep this bike.

And can anybody tell me if this is a deluxe, or just a standard ACE?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of great info in here so far and that’s a good looking ride! One of my favorite color schemes for the ACE. Since it’s an ‘03 I’d get a set of new OEM lower carb boots, they’ll probably be stiff at this point and it makes getting the carbs back on way easier with new pliable lower boots. Have a look at the coolant crossover tube between the cylinders on the cylinder jugs after you get it running and up to temp, that’s a common leak point and with what are probably 18 year old O-rings in there I would at very least keep an eye on it after every ride. Hopefully the coolant system faired better than the gas tank while it was sitting, I really don’t like cleaning up calcified coolant and I hope you don’t need to!
Luckily all the rubber I have looked at on this bike is still pliable. It really is well preserved. The tires are still soft and sticky which surprised me.

·
Registered
08 Honda Shadow Aero
44 Posts
I bought a 25.00 petcock on ebay for my 08 Aero, installed it back in July and it is working fine so maybe they have one for your 03 Ace as well. Nice looking bike!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Is there a good quality aftermarket petcock available for these bikes? I got the original one cleaned up and working, but the brass tube has a crack in it so it may not last long. I just hate to spend $75 for a factory piece before I even know if I want to keep this bike.

And can anybody tell me if this is a deluxe, or just a standard ACE?
Deluxe

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
One thing on the intake boots, check the clamps for looseness on the boots. For whatever reason Honda put small barrel spacers on the screws, so they bottom out on the spacers making you think they're tight. while still letting the clamps spin on the boots. I filed my spacers down, some just throw them away. (My 1100 did not have the spacers,,,?) An attempt to prevent less experienced riders from over-tightening them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing on the intake boots, check the clamps for looseness on the boots. For whatever reason Honda put small barrel spacers on the screws, so they bottom out on the spacers making you think they're tight. while still letting the clamps spin on the boots. I filed my spacers down, some just throw them away. (My 1100 did not have the spacers,,,?) An attempt to prevent less experienced riders from over-tightening them?
I will make sure to check that. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,284 Posts
That’s great info, I popped the spacers out of my carb boot clamps the second time I had them off, even though it’s an ‘07 the boots were really stiff from the fuel and heat cycling and after replacing them I wasn’t happy with the clamp tension so out the spacers came.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the carbs off last night. The insulators are definitely needing replaced. They were so hard, I though they were made of plastic. Made it tricky to get the carbs off, because there was no give. I ordered a new set and some spark plugs. Figured now would make sense to change them while everything is out of the way even though the bike only has 10k miles and they look good.

Now the long wait for my parts to come in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waiting for parts sucks, and it is 18F outside so I decided to spend some time polishing the chrome and doing a waterless wash on the painted parts. The wheels are rusted in some areas too bad to polish, but the rest of the chrome shines like new.

Next I will clean out the gas tank. And hopefully by then, I have my parts and I can tear into the carbs and get this bike running by next week.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Note: that hole in the frame above the carb area is for using a long screwdriver to sync the carbs if you go that far. Have to rig a temp fuel supply for syncing.

Reactions: Freudianfloyd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still waiting on parts, so I spent some time buffing the painted bits with my Griots polisher. They turned out better than I expected.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

There are still a few scratches to work out, but for the most part, the paint looks as good as new. I also took the front fender off, bolted it to a board in my vise, and polished it. The rear fender u fortunately was too much trouble to remove so I did what I coukd with the polisher, and did the rest by hand. Most of it isn't visible anyway.

My daughter volunteered to help shine up the rims with some 0000 steel wool.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

My parts should be here tomorrow, so if all goes well, I should have her back together and running by the end of the week. I love tinkering on stuffing this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts