1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
They have been selling $40k CVO’s for years. That’s just their latest one.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If I could charge $40k for a motorcycle I would. Harley guys like to spend money. True story, I once did an estimate for a custom paint job on a guys harley. He wanted flames with shadowing and pinstripes. I gave him a written estimate and he looks it over, looks up at me and says "Theres something wrong here."
"Um whats that?"
"Its not enough money."
I didnt get the job. Some people just wanna be able to say "Oh yeah, I spent $X so Im better than you."

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A fellow I used to work with would say " A disgusting display of wealth".

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
And some people just like to spend the money they have on what they like. And they don’t care what others think....or think they are better than anyone.

I’ve never judged a man by his pocket book...or lack of.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Not my kind of thing or in my game plan, but if it was, this could be interesting and under the right circumstances maybe not a bad deal at all.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
So I can buy a RoadGlide for $41,000 and then upgrade the engine for $6,400 and have Harley install it to keep the warranty $1600? so $49,000. Here we pay tax at 12% so 5880. Total is $54,880.

Now if there any Canadians listening I ran the conversion and fortunately that's only $72,886. Hope it comes in a nice color. I wonder if there is a touring model?

G.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
By my reading you can install it with warranty on a 2017 or later.
Something one can get for considerably less, a 2017 Road Glide "ask" in my section of Canada is usually somewhere less than $25,000 and there is no shortage so it would probably move.
You would still end up forking out maybe a bit less than $40,000, but that's cheap for bragging rights 'til text year and a warranty 'til the year after and I assume you could flog the take out engine for something or maybe just put it on the wall in the family room.

Not for me, too hard to sneak it past the back door.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you want to go expensive check these out. Last I saw it will take $80K US to buy one. https://www.archmotorcycle.com/

But that is a high end custom type of bike, it's not supposed to be mass market.

I think Harley has gone down the wrong path, they have gotten so expensive across the line that a true Harley guy can't afford a new bike. Same with the air cooled crap, the old Harley guys don't like anything with a radiator. The old guys also consider the 883 and bikes like that chick bikes. Those are the affordable ones and where is Harley's new riders going to come from? A company can't try to be high end and low end at the same time. Kid down the street bought and sold 7 bikes because he was Hell bent on getting a Harley. After 2 years of working on old bikes he finially had enough money to buy a a used Dyna. He made a good choice in my opinion. He would have bought one new if the price was anywhere in his league but new Harley's are to expensive for him in the foreseeable future.

I don't know, I think Harley has dug themselves a hole that they can't get out of.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
CVO’s are the hardest bikes to keep on the showroom floor in most H-D dealerships. The sell very quickly. They are limited edition bikes that are factory customized. #themoreyouknow

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many people have plenty of money to spend on expensive toys. I never had money to blow. I would love to have one if I could.
But what sticks in my mind is why you can go buy a new Japanese bike, even made here in USA, for much less the price of the big Harley's ?
Does it mean the Harley's are twice the quality at $40,000 ???
Or just the manufacturing costs ?
Or the profit margin for dealers ?
Labor costs may factor in but if the Japanese bikes are made here, what is the deal?
A new 2020 Big Honda or Yamaha is $25-$27,000.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I wasn’t aware any Japanese motorcycle manufacturers made bike in the US anymore. I know Honda quit in 2009.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
There is no accounting for what one is willing to spend on something that they really want. I know people who wouldn't blink spending more for a classic auto that they might drive twice a year than I would pay for a daily driver. Why the heck would someone drop $28k on a Honda Goldwing when they could get drop about $10k less and get a KTM Super Adventure? Why the heck would anyone drop more than $3k for a dang motorcycle anyways???
There's a lot of folks out there that wanted a H/D from the day they were old enough to notice them and forty years later they make enough money to be able to walk into a dealership and write a check for whatever bike they want on the floor. Good on 'em. I applaud them. A number of people started off with the cheapest H/D they could find and every couple of years traded it up for a "better" model until they got the one they wanted. As long as it was worth it to them, I'm happy for them.
Folks have been predicting the demise of H/D for a whole lot of years now. H/D's sales drop by five bikes annually and they clap with glee. I think the good folks in Milwaukee know what they are doing and I'm confident the company will be around for many more years.
I'm perfectly happy with what all is in my motorcycle stable but I'm also looking forward to seeing what's next. I think each motorcycle manufacturer is trying to fit into niche markets. Once they figure out what market that is and how many bikes they can sell, they'll all do just fine.
As far as spending $40k for a H/D. Nope, not for me, but if I could find the right Model A Roadster for around that price I'd be willing to take a look! It's all relative!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Go to Myrtle beach, Daytona, the Black Hills, Laughlin, Reno or a hundred other places and you'll see thousands upon thousands of them. Sure, you'll see a thousand or so trailers, but tens of thousands of H/D's. Just sayin'....

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Oops … didn't realize Harley made a touring bike. I see them parked at the DQ and Starbucks and the service entrance but almost never on the highway. My mistake. o_O
You must not ride much then.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is no accounting for what one is willing to spend on something that they really want. I know people who wouldn't blink spending more for a classic auto that they might drive twice a year than I would pay for a daily driver. Why the heck would someone drop $28k on a Honda Goldwing when they could get drop about $10k less and get a KTM Super Adventure? Why the heck would anyone drop more than $3k for a dang motorcycle anyways???
There's a lot of folks out there that wanted a H/D from the day they were old enough to notice them and forty years later they make enough money to be able to walk into a dealership and write a check for whatever bike they want on the floor. Good on 'em. I applaud them. A number of people started off with the cheapest H/D they could find and every couple of years traded it up for a "better" model until they got the one they wanted. As long as it was worth it to them, I'm happy for them.
Folks have been predicting the demise of H/D for a whole lot of years now. H/D's sales drop by five bikes annually and they clap with glee. I think the good folks in Milwaukee know what they are doing and I'm confident the company will be around for many more years.
I'm perfectly happy with what all is in my motorcycle stable but I'm also looking forward to seeing what's next. I think each motorcycle manufacturer is trying to fit into niche markets. Once they figure out what market that is and how many bikes they can sell, they'll all do just fine.
As far as spending $40k for a H/D. Nope, not for me, but if I could find the right Model A Roadster for around that price I'd be willing to take a look! It's all relative!
A good Model A doesn't cost 40K. My uncle has one he might want to sell. He did all the work on it, it's got better paint than a brand new Model ever had.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts