Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
You must not ride much then.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
I would say 50+%of what I see in the hwy are HD Tourers, some people just get blinders for other type/brand bikes. When I rode a shadow I focussed on how many Honda's were on the road, didn't see many on the hwy, not shadows. I went to a VTX, I saw them everywhere, it seemed like it anyway. Now, I see sport Tourers, ...
If ya don't want to spend $10,20,30,40k on a bike, don't. But don't be whining and jealous acting(cuz that's what it comes across like) because people have what they want!
Not my cup of tea, but, my hats off to anyone that can be happy, more people need to find a happy place instead of their whiny place!
Squidchief is dead on with his thoughts, TheJa1 is too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
I'd say with the Tri-Glide at least, Harley is trying to hold onto the aging tail end of the baby-boomer market. The youngest of that group are 60-65 years old and at that point, a trike is a viable option when the knees/ hips / back start to go.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would say 50+%of what I see in the hwy are HD Tourers, some people just get blinders for other type/brand bikes.
If ya don't want to spend $10,20,30,40k on a bike, don't. But don't be whining and jealous acting(cuz that's what it comes across like) because people have what they want!
I agree with probably 50% of what I see on an interstate is Harley's. In fact that may be a low figure for where I am. The bikes on the interstates are a different breed then the city bikes or I should urban bikes. I live in SC and if I get on the interstate I'm a good distance form anywhere so the bikes I see are usually guys on big trips, they certainly favor Harley's. For sure. Depends where you are. If I head north to Beaufort the military guys up there like sport bikes and loud Camaro's, Mustangs stuff like that. If I head South I hit Savannah on the interstate and the same thing the local guys are out there for a few exits on all sorts of bikes but they aren't going far. They're not riding big touring bikes to go to work and back. All depends where you are I suppose.

BTW I can buy I brand new Harley but wouldn't. Personal choice. I have looked at used Dyna's but I don't like the reliability issues with them. I want to ride, not work on my bike.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I agree with probably 50% of what I see on an interstate is Harley's. In fact that may be a low figure for where I am. The bikes on the interstates are a different breed then the city bikes or I should urban bikes. I live in SC and if I get on the interstate I'm a good distance form anywhere so the bikes I see are usually guys on big trips, they certainly favor Harley's. For sure. Depends where you are. If I head north to Beaufort the military guys up there like sport bikes and loud Camaro's, Mustangs stuff like that. If I head South I hit Savannah on the interstate and the same thing the local guys are out there for a few exits on all sorts of bikes but they aren't going far. They're not riding big touring bikes to go to work and back. All depends where you are I suppose.

BTW I can buy I brand new Harley but wouldn't. Personal choice. I have looked at used Dyna's but I don't like the reliability issues with them. I want to ride, not work on my bike.
Where at in SC? Out here in the west, H-D's still rule the highway but the big dual sport ADV bikes and "G" bikes are running a close 2nd.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
A good Model A doesn't cost 40K. My uncle has one he might want to sell. He did all the work on it, it's got better paint than a brand new Model ever had.
Depends on what model you are looking for. My wife is partial to the Town Sedan or Coupe style and we can pick those up pretty much any day for between $15 - $25k. I'm more of a Roadster guy. All the ones for sale that have really caught my interest were well north of $40k. Probably why I don't have one in the stable though I would be surprised if we make it through another Hot August Nights car show without bringing home a sedan.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Where at in SC? Out here in the west, H-D's still rule the highway but the big dual sport ADV bikes and "G" bikes are running a close 2nd.
I live in Bluffton SC, actually unincorporated Beaufort county to be exact. The only close interstate is I-95 and I know the dual sports are big right now but I'm not seeing them. BTW I think the big dual sports are the worse of both worlds. To heavy for off road and not very comfortable for long trips.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I joined the Navy out of Anderson and will probably move back to that area in another couple of years. Best bet is across the lake in Hartwell.

I could argue the dual sport thing, but then again.... it's all relative. Off the showroom floor they are very capable but they typically need more money thrown at them to really make them shine. I've put a lot of road miles on a KTM as well as a Triumph Tiger and I love them both. I'd go coast to coast on that big KTM without a moments hesitation. Stronger and faster than most cruisers, more nimble and much better mileage. For me, more comfortable as well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I live in Bluffton SC, actually unincorporated Beaufort county to be exact. The only close interstate is I-95 and I know the dual sports are big right now but I'm not seeing them. BTW I think the big dual sports are the worse of both worlds. To heavy for off road and not very comfortable for long trips.
For me, my Africa Twin is far more comfortable than my 750 Shadow.....Guys go all over the world on them....yes to go true dirt biking, they are a tad heavy, but no problems on trails and semi-rough terrain. Love sitting up higher as well, just feels a lot safer to me.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

yeah, them big dual sports aren't good for going too many places off road! ;)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Those are dirt roads and groomed aren't they? That's not my version of off road.
And you are exactly right. Though "groomed" wasn't alway the operative word.

Dual sports are excellent for dual track and dirt roads, graded or not. Most are pretty comfortable on pavement as well, though throwing money at their suspension is generally a plus.

Years ago I made an attempt at making it up to Prudhoe Bay at the top of the world. I did the trip on a full sized cruiser. Made it from Nevada to Fairbanks AK with ease but once we hit the Dalton Highway things started going south quick. Cruisers just aren't worth a crap on dirt and gravel roads. After about a hundred miles that lesson was learned.
I'd have no worries attempting it again on the back of a KTM Adventure or Triumph Tiger or similar, but sure as heck never again on a cruiser.
For true off road, It takes a true dirt bike as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been wondering just what kind of fuel mileage that 131 gets. I bet my car gets better mileage. The used harley market is pretty depressed right now for a number of reasons. You can't hardly give away a used Sportster these days. I have been joking that my ol ladys Honda Shadow 750 is holding it's resale value better than a used Sportster. I don't need a new $40,000 Harley, my 3 older ones will do just fine and they are all paid for.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
heck, it's hard to find a V-Twin on the market anymore that get's better mileage than your average four wheeled vehicle! Another plus for the horizontal engines.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts