Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 185,000 miles I think it time for "ole crusty" to go under the knife. No more fill the oil, check the gas like a Chevy Vega. I have taken possession of a low mile donor heart for her.

Besides a new water pump, thermostat, plugs, exhaust gaskets, and fluids ... Can anyone think of anything I should get (or do) before I start this procedure?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Maybe back flush the radiator so it is ready. And clean the overflow tank.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That many miles with only routine maintenance? That’s incredible! If there is no underlying reason for the change, I would definitely look into getting that original motor overhauled. Though it breaks the seal anyway, you only get one in every so many that gives ‘perfect’ performance...

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,127 Posts
The price of parts/availability, would be a major consideration IMO but it appears that the OP has a motor and yes it's incredible mileage but... Hope the spare motor is the Sabre model thus saving a few small quirks/variances in the other 2 pin variants. (C,T, and C3)

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
The price of parts/availability, would be a major consideration IMO but it appears that the OP has a motor and yes it's incredible mileage but... Hope the spare motor is the Sabre model thus saving a few small quirks/variances in the other 2 pin variants. (C,T, and C3)
It's definitely a Sabre motor.

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for all the replies. The seller purports it to be out of an '05 Sabre w/17,000 mi. I'm crossing my fingers.

The original engine burns a quart of 20w50 every 100 miles and was starting to have a hard time keeping highway speeds in a strong head wind.

I'm thinking about leaving the cooling fins and chrome covers off to see how she looks stripped down.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,127 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Worn rings with that number of miles? I’m surprised! LOL! ;) Too bad it’d be a fair sized job putting new rings in it and rehoning the cylinders. Nobody would touch it with that many miles on it, even if it were functionally perfect...

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worn rings with that number of miles? I’m surprised! LOL! ;) Too bad it’d be a fair sized job putting new rings in it and rehoning the cylinders. Nobody would touch it with that many miles on it, even if it were functionally perfect...
My thoughts exactly. Do pistons and rings. Might as well do the heads as long as it's apart. Then something goes south in the bottom.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Check them over anyway. With the lower compression of late, the valves may have some crud on them, but you may find less wear than you’d expect. Good project go toy with, and have a spare motor to fall back on, just in case. I’ll probably turn my parts spare into a runner. Eventually... 😄

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 185,000 miles I think it time for "ole crusty" to go under the knife. No more fill the oil, check the gas like a Chevy Vega. I have taken possession of a low mile donor heart for her.

Besides a new water pump, thermostat, plugs, exhaust gaskets, and fluids ... Can anyone think of anything I should get (or do) before I start this procedure?

View attachment 292533
Hi,
"I've been there and done that!" I have some important suggestions for you! You will need to remove the LEFT SIDE ENGINE COVER, and you will need to remove the REAR WHEEL AND DRIVE SHAFT! You WILL NOT be able to get the old engine out or the new one in without removing the driveshaft! You MAY be able to get the engine in and out without removing the left side engine cover, but it will be one hell of a fight! You will need to remove all the chrome top end covers. You will need to get the big left engine cover gasket! Since you will have the rear wheel out, you may consider replacing the fuel filter since it will be very visible and reachable with the wheel out of the way. TAKE SPECIAL NOTE of the order of the tubing that comes off the top of the engine and runs behind the ignition key! This isn't random! Otherwise, they will cross over each other and get pinched! DO NOT CONNECT THE CARB VENT TUBING TO ANY OTHER TUBING (that's the one that connects to the T connector between the carbs), it goes behind the decorative cover on the left side of the engine with the open end pointing to the rear of the bike! There is a temptation to connect it to that little T connector that is in the tank vent drain line. DON'T DO IT! Be sure you put that carb vent tubing back where it came from, if you don't, you WILL have some interesting problems with the engine stalling under various conditions at highway speed!

GOOD LUCK! I did this, and it is a wonderful solution to an old tired engine!
Mike, OhOhShadow
2000 Shadow Sabre with a 2007 Sabre engine! Only had 3007 miles on it when I bought it!

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
"I've been there and done that!" I have some important suggestions for you! You will need to remove the LEFT SIDE ENGINE COVER, and you will need to remove the REAR WHEEL AND DRIVE SHAFT! You WILL NOT be able to get the old engine out or the new one in without removing the driveshaft! You MAY be able to get the engine in and out without removing the left side engine cover, but it will be one hell of a fight! You will need to remove all the chrome top end covers. You will need to get the big left engine cover gasket! Since you will have the rear wheel out, you may consider replacing the fuel filter since it will be very visible and reachable with the wheel out of the way. TAKE SPECIAL NOTE of the order of the tubing that comes off the top of the engine and runs behind the ignition key! This isn't random! Otherwise, they will cross over each other and get pinched! DO NOT CONNECT THE CARB VENT TUBING TO ANY OTHER TUBING (that's the one that connects to the T connector between the carbs), it goes behind the decorative cover on the left side of the engine with the open end pointing to the rear of the bike! There is a temptation to connect it to that little T connector that is in the tank vent drain line. DON'T DO IT! Be sure you put that carb vent tubing back where it came from, if you don't, you WILL have some interesting problems with the engine stalling under various conditions at highway speed!

GOOD LUCK! I did this, and it is a wonderful solution to an old tired engine!
Mike, OhOhShadow
2000 Shadow Sabre with a 2007 Sabre engine! Only had 3007 miles on it when I bought it!
Sage advice Double Oh. I will keep all this in mind. Thx.

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prep on the donor motor has begun. Installed tick clean out plugs and a nice shiny water pump.

Next is a compression test of the olde motor and disassembly.

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew it was weak.
Spec. 185psi +/- 28

front 70psi dry / 80psi wet
rear 86psi dry / 92psi wet

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,394 Posts
That's definitely done, never mind the oil consumption, it must have been on the verge of not starting at all.
It is funny how when things deteriorate gradually we don't really notice, however I can guarantee the new one will feel like a rocket ship until you get used to that again. May the transition go smoothly. (-:

·
Registered
2000 VT1100C2 Sabre
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope the seller didn't misrepresent the condition of the new motor.
It's out. Yay!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts