Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking some input before I make my every-5th-year new helmet purchase. I went to the Michigan International Motorcycle Show yesterday and was disappointed that I couldn't try on all the brands on my check-them-out list -- but I did get to a few. I'm getting a full-face helmet and want one that really fits well. Snell certification is not important -- although I don't want to spark a debate on that subject! Fit FOR MY HEAD is very, very important and good airflow will help a LOT.

To date, I've been pretty disappointed with Shoei and my Arai Quantum-F gets irritating after a couple of hours. I've found that the Arai Corsair is quite a bit more comfortable so it's pretty high on my list.

Yesterday I tried the Shoei X-11 and was VERY impressed with it -- the best fit I've ever had with a Shoei!
The RF-1000 was AWFUL!
The HJC CL-SP was AWFUL!
Couldn't find AGV, Shark, Suomy or Vemar helmets to try and forgot about trying the HJC AC-12. (Actually, I saw a couple but couldn't get close when I remembered them and forgot to circle back to them later.) That was all I had on my list for the show; there's a local gear shop where I can try on HJC and Shark (looking at RSR) but I'll have to hunt up retail outlets for the others.

My questions for people who like the fit of either the Arai Corsair or Shoei X-11:
- Are there others with similar fits that I should try?
- Would I be wasting my time with AGV, HJC AC-12, Shark, Suomy or Vemar?
- Is there another I should check out?

FWIW, I won't be buying for another 2-3 months and I'll seek the best pricing then; I've got no issues with ordering online -- although I've managed to get better prices locally for 2 of the last 3 helmets I've bought. I have been through the webBikeWorld reviews http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm and will be revisiting them next. But I've gotten such EXCELLENT advice from folks here that I thought this should be my first stop today.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
60 Posts
On my head, The rf100 put a lot of preassure on my forehead, I found an rf900 that fits very comfortably. AND it's yellow!
I had the HJC, it was very comfortable and not too noisy, the visor was clear and stayed up on the detents(sp). It had more chin room than most of the other helmets I tried and it was the easiest to get my glasses in. The only thing missing -for me- was some cheek padding. But you should check them out too. Read the reviews at www.webbikeworld.com they're very thorough.

This is my favorite helmet, I wish I could find it to try... http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/akuma-helmet/

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too, am looking for a new helmet. Don't you find the full face to be visually restrictive? I'v been looking at the HJC AC-2M half helmet.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you find the full face to be visually restrictive?
Not at all. Even with no helmet on, I'd have to turn my head to see any more -- and I've got pretty solid peripheral vision. And I have done some riding with no helmet.

Read the reviews at www.webbikeworld.com they're very thorough.
Been there and done that; other places, too. But I'm looking for input from people with heads shaped like mine -- who would find the Arai Corsair and Shoei X-11 comfortable, too. The guys at webBikeWorld describe their heads as "earth shaped" and note fit issues that I do NOT have.

Me, too. But I'm looking for something a bit more focused on helmets that would fit me comfortably.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Fit & comfort are not everything that you should consider in a helmet. I have had both the Nolan N100 & the HJC CL-MAX (both are flip-face helmets because I wear glasses). I also have both the clear shield & the darkest tinted smoke shield because most of my riding is during the day & my eyes have gotten more & more light sensitive over the years.

The Nolan N100 lasted me 5 years without so much as a single problem.

The HJC was purchased new exactly one year ago toda & I've had several problems out of it. First & foremost is that it's a nasty task to change shields. The Nolan took about 15 seconds to change, but the HJC is almost impossible to get the tabs on the shield properly lined up & takes several minutes of fumbling with it to get it to snap properly into place. It's easy on the clear shield where you can see the tab thru the shield, but it's impossible to see thru the tinted shield and the whole alignment process is a blind hit-&-miss experience. Plus, it has to be lined up exactly right, or your shield pops out of the helmet when you try to raise it. AND, to make matters worse, I've been thru three set of the left shield hinges because the tab has broken off on me every time I've changed the shield. If the shield hinges are not bad enough, the top vent on the left-hand side has come completely off the helmet. I have no idea where it is, except that it's somewhere on the road - it was there when I put the helmet on, & gone when I took the helmet off.

One other thing to consider is the color. I know you can get any color you want in any helmet you choose, but it did make a huge difference to me. Nolan was black, because it matched the '99 ACE 750 that I was riding at the time (I actually bought the helmet for a previous bike, but figured the next one - the ACE - would be black, and it was). The HJC is silver because that's as close as I could get to the titanium flames of the Sabre. Wearing the black Nolan - with all vents open - left my brain bubbling in it's own juices on hot afternoon rides home from work in 5 mph (at best) traffic on the Interstate (8 miles home). I have not had that problem at all with the silver HJC.

Finally, the chin strap of the Nolan had a quick attach/release that I truly enjoyed. I didn't know how much I enjoyed it until I got the HJC & it didn't have it. The quick attach was a ratchet mechanism that you slide the tab thru the ratchet & it click-click-clicks as you push it thru. To release it, you lift the tab & it's a one-handed operation. After spending a couple of days fumbling with the d-rings & having to take my gloves off to strap it up or loosen it, I cut the ratchet mechanism off the Nolan & sewed it onto the straps of the HJC. (Don't tell me about it being a safety issue - I don't believe that it is & can't be convinced without cold hard facts specific to the Nolan helmet).

So, when you find a helmet that fits, don't quit looking until you find one that has all the other "creature comforts" that you enjoy. Both of the helmets were/are atrocious regarding wind noise (& I've got both windshield & lowers), but not unbearable.

I'm seriously considering that my next helmet is going to be the Nolan flip-face with the bluetooth circuitry built in.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
David said:
Fit & comfort are not everything that you should consider in a helmet. I have had both the Nolan N100 & the HJC CL-MAX (both are flip-face helmets because I wear glasses). I also have both the clear shield & the darkest tinted smoke shield because most of my riding is during the day & my eyes have gotten more & more light sensitive over the years.

The Nolan N100 lasted me 5 years without so much as a single problem.

The HJC was purchased new exactly one year ago toda & I've had several problems out of it. First & foremost is that it's a nasty task to change shields. The Nolan took about 15 seconds to change, but the HJC is almost impossible to get the tabs on the shield properly lined up & takes several minutes of fumbling with it to get it to snap properly into place. It's easy on the clear shield where you can see the tab thru the shield, but it's impossible to see thru the tinted shield and the whole alignment process is a blind hit-&-miss experience. Plus, it has to be lined up exactly right, or your shield pops out of the helmet when you try to raise it. AND, to make matters worse, I've been thru three set of the left shield hinges because the tab has broken off on me every time I've changed the shield. If the shield hinges are not bad enough, the top vent on the left-hand side has come completely off the helmet. I have no idea where it is, except that it's somewhere on the road - it was there when I put the helmet on, & gone when I took the helmet off.

One other thing to consider is the color. I know you can get any color you want in any helmet you choose, but it did make a huge difference to me. Nolan was black, because it matched the '99 ACE 750 that I was riding at the time (I actually bought the helmet for a previous bike, but figured the next one - the ACE - would be black, and it was). The HJC is silver because that's as close as I could get to the titanium flames of the Sabre. Wearing the black Nolan - with all vents open - left my brain bubbling in it's own juices on hot afternoon rides home from work in 5 mph (at best) traffic on the Interstate (8 miles home). I have not had that problem at all with the silver HJC.

Finally, the chin strap of the Nolan had a quick attach/release that I truly enjoyed. I didn't know how much I enjoyed it until I got the HJC & it didn't have it. The quick attach was a ratchet mechanism that you slide the tab thru the ratchet & it click-click-clicks as you push it thru. To release it, you lift the tab & it's a one-handed operation. After spending a couple of days fumbling with the d-rings & having to take my gloves off to strap it up or loosen it, I cut the ratchet mechanism off the Nolan & sewed it onto the straps of the HJC. (Don't tell me about it being a safety issue - I don't believe that it is & can't be convinced without cold hard facts specific to the Nolan helmet).

So, when you find a helmet that fits, don't quit looking until you find one that has all the other "creature comforts" that you enjoy. Both of the helmets were/are atrocious regarding wind noise (& I've got both windshield & lowers), but not unbearable.

I'm seriously considering that my next helmet is going to be the Nolan flip-face with the bluetooth circuitry built in.
I wear the Nolan N41 Classic, 3/4 with a visor and face shield (it's black) and love that helmet, I to wear Glasses and just use the clip on Sun Glasses and that works great, my prescription glasses are also those photo/transition ones and can ride with just them sometimes and they tint pretty good, I do also like the locking mech. on the Nolans and wish/think all the helmet mfg's should use this type.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fit & comfort are not everything that you should consider in a helmet.
They aren't. Take a look at the Arai Corsair & Shoei X-11 -- both of which have list prices around $600 -- and you'll know right away that there's a lot more in my view than fit & comfort! But without good fit & comfort, the rest isn't really worth much at all. I've done considerable research so far and narrowed my focus quite a bit but I haven't tried on all the helmets that might be worth my time -- and am growing weary of trying ones that are terribly uncomfortable.

webBikeWorld review of Shoei X-11 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-eleven/

As for color, I'm moving away from black for the first time in 10 years (that's 2 helmets, a Shoei RF-something and an Arai Quantum F); I'll go with red if it's close to my bike's color or forget matching altogether and go with silver. (I don't like the way smashed bugs look on white helmets so I've ruled that out entirely.
:D )

What I want is a full face helmet that meets DOT requirements (Snell is not important to me) and fits my head -- described as "intermediate oval" by Arai -- with good venting. I tend towards "premium" helmets because I've got a premium head - at least to me. :D

This time, I'm making an effort to get a helmet that will be as comfortable when I replace it (in 5 years) as it is the day I buy it; neither of the last two measured up well on this because I didn't put enough effort into checking them out. I'm also considering trying out a Windjammer. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just purchased a Scorpian EXO-400 Full Face after tryng on all the full face helmets at four different bike shops. http://www.scorpionusa.com/

I too wear glasses but couldn't afford the full face flip up kind. The HJC felt very comfortable until I put my glasses on. My glasses ear piece would ride up onto the inner lining and lift the glasses off my nose.

The Scorpian fit my head great, but only one dealer here handled the entire line.

I just kept trying them on until I found one I liked. And the Scorpian was priced at Brooklyn Cycle at the same as I could find it on-line!

Bruce

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have an X-11, but I can't help you with the comparison to the Arai. I used it all summer in the Texas heat, and it was very comfortable. No regrets at this point.

The only possible downside, and I had read of this going in, was that some reported it as being a bit noisy. I didn't find it objectionably noisy until I installed the small wind screen on my V-Max, and the blast (now off of my chest) seems to hit me squarely right under the helmet - making things uncomfortably noisy at sustained highway speeds.

So, I now wear ear plugs for anything other than riding in town. Probably a good idea, anyway.

It could be that a at least some of the noise is due to the fact I ride with all vents full open, even in the winter.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an X-11, but I can't help you with the comparison to the Arai.
I've compared the two already. I was ll set to go with the Arai until I tried the X-11 -- REMARKABLY better than any Shoei I've ever worn! Based on how impressive it was, I thought it best to ask about other helmets.
The only possible downside, and I had read of this going in, was that some reported it as being a bit noisy. I didn't find it objectionably noisy until I installed the small wind screen on my V-Max, and the blast (now off of my chest) seems to hit me squarely right under the helmet - making things uncomfortably noisy at sustained highway speeds.
I've read that it's better with crotch rockets but I don't intend to change just for a quieter helmet! I'm going to give the Windjammer II Helmet Windblocker a try. Link: http://www.proline-sports.com/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html?goo-wbw
webBikeWorld review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wear a Nolan 102 modular and am very impressed with it. I wear eyeglasses and really appreciate the modular feature. So far it has proven to be very comfortable and well vented at least for the northwest. At $300 it is middle of the road as far as pricing. The only problem I have found is availability. Nolans are very hard to find for trying on. I had to drive for about an hour just to find a Nolan to try on. And it wasn't the modular. The modular I ordered fits my semi-oval head very well. If Nolans are available in your area give the 102 a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts