Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new hawk full face helmet with a dual sun visor. I am new to riding and the fluttering vision of my previous sunglasses really gave me anxiety going speeds of 65mph. Now with this helmet, I absolutely noticed a huge change with the vision and just my confidence level. Not to mention, the wind noise was severely lessened which felt better. Well, I know that this is not rocket science, but just thought I'd share. Here's a front view of my new helmet:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Absolutely. There is a huge difference in how I ride when I don't wear gear.

Wearing earplugs makes a big difference too. Give it a try. Your ears will thank you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice looking lid. Confidence comes with time and proper instruction. If you haven't already I'd take the BRC. Ride safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the gear in the world won't help if you don't have the proper skills and techniques for riding...
The right gear inspires CONFIDENCE. As far as skills and techniques go, that is why I did the MSF, ride the bike daily, get help from here, and try to learn correctly every day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking lid. Confidence comes with time and proper instruction. If you haven't already I'd take the BRC. Ride safe.

You're absolutely right, I feel more confident every day that I ride. The more experience and time I put into it, I feel better aout it. I don't know what the BRC class is, but I've pumped more money into this ordeal, we'll have to see since I took the MSF already. But I love the ideas of courses.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Good looking helmet! What is it, specifically, so I can go look it up?

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Foundation - sponsors of the BRC in many states.

And don't misunderstand my comment. I wasn't knocking your new lid, just merely stating fact. Don't let a new helmet give you FALSE confidence, I guess.

Just get some saddle time and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
The right gear inspires CONFIDENCE. As far as skills and techniques go, that is why I did the MSF, ride the bike daily, get help from here, and try to learn correctly every day.
And I strongly disagree with the above statement. Additional saddle time and familiarity with your bike should inspire confidence, not the gear you wear. Being aware of your surroundings, traffic, etc. is much more important than the gear one wears.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I couldn't imagine wearing earplugs. Remove 50% of the senses that help protect me while driving?? I don't think so. my .02 anyway!

·
Registered
11,160 Posts
Just got a new hawk full face helmet with a dual sun visor. I am new to riding and the fluttering vision of my previous sunglasses really gave me anxiety going speeds of 65mph. Now with this helmet, I absolutely noticed a huge change with the vision and just my confidence level. Not to mention, the wind noise was severely lessened which felt better. Well, I know that this is not rocket science, but just thought I'd share. Here's a front view of my new helmet:

You bring up a good point. Anytime any piece of gear isn't just right it can throw you off. Compromised vision has to be the worst (right after a sore butt;-)).

Nice helmet....Are you wearing sun glasses or is that an internal visor that slides down?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I strongly disagree with the above statement. Additional saddle time and familiarity with your bike should inspire confidence, not the gear you wear. Being aware of your surroundings, traffic, etc. is much more important than the gear one wears.
Imagine having the wrong gear (etc. sunglasses that are not meant for riding, and you get tons of wind in your eyes, and your vision is fluttering, and your eyes are watering, you are squinting all the time, etc.)

Now image you have appropriate eyewear (helmet,goggles, glasses meant for riding, etc) and your vision is 10 times better.....

absolutely that ispires confidence! Are you kidding me? I was way less confident with crappy glasses going 65mph. Come on.

There is no doubt that more saddle time, familiarity of your bike, watching your surroundings, traffic is what everyone should strive for. Not to mention giving you more confidence. I never would argue against that.

I just posted this to show that this particular piece of equipment helped me out in one area. So I totally disagree with you, it CAN inspire confidence on TOP OF the things you mentioned also which I believe in.

The helmet doesn't make me overconfident.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You bring up a good point. Anytime any piece of gear isn't just right it can throw you off. Compromised vision has to be the worst (right after a sore butt;-)).

Nice helmet....Are you wearing sun glasses or is that an internal visor that slides down?
It's an internal visor that slides down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Motorcycle Safety Foundation - sponsors of the BRC in many states.

And don't misunderstand my comment. I wasn't knocking your new lid, just merely stating fact. Don't let a new helmet give you FALSE confidence, I guess.

Just get some saddle time and enjoy.
I agree with the false confidence thing am I'm not letting that happen to me as much as I can. As far as saddle time goes, I am riding everyday and refuse to ride in situations I am not comfortable in such as peer pressure from my buddies to ride with them. I'll progress at my rate get to that point when I'm ready. Getting to that point is all part of this great experience! I love it

·
Registered
11,160 Posts
It's an internal visor that slides down.
That's pretty sweet......'specially if you wear glasses like me. I'm not a fan of FF helmets but that visor thing is tempting.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Is the inner visor designed to only work with the outer visor or is it rated to perform with the front (clear) visor in the up position??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts