Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new helmet, that won't totally break the bank. I usually have HJC but I've some brands online like HAX and ILM....don't know if they are any good or should be avoided? Any input on what you like is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,569 Posts
Previously I used 3/4 helmets because i found full faced claustrophobic. I recently bought a HJC MAX 3 modular and it has been great. I think there is a newer version called I90 or I91.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Do you have a Cycle Gear store near you? Or really, any place where you can try the helmets on and that has a decent selection to choose from.?

Getting the right fit is crucial, so if there's a salesman on site who can help with that, that's a good thing.
I've always bought my helmets at brick and mortar stores for that reason alone.

The reason I mentioned Cycle Gear is they usually have a large selection of types and brands in a wide range of prices, and they will usually let you return the helmet after a try-out period if you find it doesn't fit as comfortably as you thought when you were in the store.

They're stock is usually fresh, too. You can check under the liner for the manufacturing date. I've seen helmets on sale at motorcycle stores that, when I checked the manufacturing date, were already 5+ years old, sitting on the shelves or in the stock room all that time. It's recommended that helmets have a 5 year life span (very debatable, though. )

A full face or modular gives the best protection.
(Having said that, I usually wear a 3/4 :whistle: )

In short, I recommend you try before you buy,

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I have a Cycle Gear within an hour, my local place doesn't have a big selection. I've always liked HJC but this last one I bought just doesn't fit comfortably as past ones...

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
435 Posts
I'm on board with @Menhir on this and will only buy from a store I can actually try them on. The shape/fit seem to vary by mfg. My first helmet I bought online and got lucky, not so much with the second. I recently bought a half helmet and I was between the M-L size, closer to L. I bought the L and wear a bandana underneath. Fits great AND keeps the inside clean too. The bandana has become part of my riding gear

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,183 Posts
I wasnt to keen on spending alot on a lid but my wife said to upgrade. So I did my research and wound up in a Shoei neotec 2. Bought on line and the size chart is spot on! It feels great on my head! I wore this thing all day for 4 days riding back from Banner elk NC to SLC Utah in pure comfort. I tried my old helmet on a couple months later and it felt like a mop bucket on my head! Yes the Shoei is pricey but well worth what I spent on it. Im looking at a Schuberth C5 for my next lid. I didnt know how good a lid could feel until strapping the Shoei on. I used to prefere no lid now I prefere wearing one. JMHO

Reactions: Bdilz99

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,758 Posts
Just because you buy one at a store doesn't mean you'll find one that will fit. If they have knowlegeable sales staff then you may end up with a good, comfortable helmet. My first helmet, HJC was from the dealer where I bought a bike. They pointed me to the helmets, I thought it fit and I bought it. I didn't know until I got a proper fitting helmet that my first helmet was a horrible fit. It fit like a mop bucket as stated previously. I got lucky, ordered an AFX on-line and wow, it fit me like a glove. The AFX for me fits great, drop down visor, quick release strap. I would say a properly fitting cheaper helmet is better for you than an expensive not fitting properly helmet. The helmet you will wear will save your head the best. The more expensive helmets are usually lighter, have aftermarket replacement parts, shields, etc, offer more protection. Any helmet is better than no helmet.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,139 Posts
Oblong head, HJC. Round head, GMax. Gmax has a patented headliner called Coolmax and are pretty quite in FF and I really like my 3/4 open face as my go to helmet.

GMAX Helmets

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,902 Posts
Reactions: Headbanger783

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Phantom
13 Posts
The dealership gave me a helmet with the purchase of my bike. It is an LS2 Rapid. The staff was very diligent to ensure I had a proper sized helmet to fit. I have been wanting to upgrade to a modular helmet for some time but, It seemed that the online purchase prices were a bit high. And, I was not quite sure that I could trust the sizing without actually trying one on.

On a trip to Warm Springs, GA to meet up with @"Captain D" last Saturday, we were in a store that had the HJC C91 for about $179.00. I tested the fit and liked it so, I did not hesitate to pull the trigger.

After 4 days this week of riding with the new lid, I am extremely pleased.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,869 Posts
I bought a ‘Kylin’ full-face helmet at a local discount/surplus store a few years ago for $65 CDN. Some of the guys in the SV650 forum were laughing about having never even heard of the brand. I agreed, but pointed out that about twenty years ago I bought another $65 helmet at that same store as a gift for my father, that he still uses. From a then unknown brand called ‘HJC’. Look at them now… 😉

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,087 Posts
I bought a Shark Evoline helmet several years ago online. While I am happy with the helmet it squeezes my face too much but the rest of the fit is good. I think I could have gotten different cheek pads but since I don’t wear the helmet much it quickly fell off my radar.

The main reason I got the Shark was because the chin piece would rotate behind the helmet and not stick up like a sail.

So with all that being said does anyone have recommendations for a modular helmet that works like the Shark?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,207 Posts
Previously I used 3/4 helmets because i found full faced claustrophobic. I recently bought a HJC MAX 3 modular and it has been great. I think there is a newer version called I90 or I91.
Amen!!! I get all freaked out in a FF helmet and feel like I can't breathe. I immediately rip it off my head and say "NO!" and refuse to wear one!

3/4 open face helmets and (high quality) 1/2 helmets are for me. Also, as you all know from my postings over the years, not only to I get that claustrophobic feeling in a FF helmet, but to add some superstition to my motorcycle riding... Every single helmet I wear has to be gloss white. Been that way since the early 80's. It's just who I am and how I roll. So what if I look like a Q-tip on a bike, I don't care! LOL..

HJC helmets are, arguably, the most comfortable helmet. If you have an kind of oblong head or egg shaped head, or something like that, then HJC is going to be perfect. HJC's do run a hair large right from the factory, in spite of what their website measurements say. If I tried on a Shoei or a GMAX or Vega or... I would go with an XL helmet. But with HJC, I go with L.

...........................HJC CL-33...........................................................................................HJC CS-2N.......................
Helmet Vertebrate Sports gear Mammal Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,758 Posts
The dealership gave me a helmet with the purchase of my bike. It is an LS2 Rapid. The staff was very diligent to ensure I had a proper sized helmet to fit. I have been wanting to upgrade to a modular helmet for some time but, It seemed that the online purchase prices were a bit high. And, I was not quite sure that I could trust the sizing without actually trying one on.

On a trip to Warm Springs, GA to meet up with @"Captain D" last Saturday, we were in a store that had the HJC C91 for about $179.00. I tested the fit and liked it so, I did not hesitate to pull the trigger.

After 4 days this week of riding with the new lid, I am extremely pleased.
Smart dealers will help you out for a good sale. It's good they helped you pick out a good fitting helmet. With a new bike it is the most critical because new riders may not know what to look for. I got the opposite when I bought my first bike. No help at all and I did get the wrong sized helmet, too big.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,087 Posts
Eric I think the only lid that does that is the shark one.
I was afraid someone would say that.

I was watching a video a few months ago and the guy was talking about the police style helmets being real good. Might look into that.

My current half helmet is about seven years old and it is showing it’s age.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts