Honda Shadow Forums banner

New Here!

950 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ZekeMan 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone…new here just getting back into riding after a 10 year hiatus. Got an ‘08 Shadow Aero In November. Pumped to get back to riding.

I do have a question, my bike has many aftermarket parts which I love except the grips. I hate them. I’m looking for something like the ISOs without the price tag. I came across these: CUSTOM MOTORCYCLE HAND GRIPS CHROME BILLET CRUISERS DUAL CABLE THROTTLE SLEEVE | eBay

anyone have any thoughts on these? Or should I stay away from something so cheap. I need a sleeve. My current grips are aluminum not sure how I’d get it off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had something like them on an 1100 and never had any problems but I only had the bike a couple of years after I put them on.

#6 ·
Great looking 08...same color as my 08 but yours has much more bling!! Those grip ends look kinda deadly if a spill happened, don't blame you for getting rid of them. You may have to make a slit in the rubber then put some compressed air in to loosen, or some WD-40 and work it in and start twisting. I would think there would be a throttle sleeve under the grips unless they are a total different type so good to have one on hand just in case. I bought some Kuryaykyn look alikes on ebay and had no trouble with them but they did not ship from China like the ones in the link. Let us know how it goes. Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

#7 ·
Hey thanks! It had a ton of aftermarket stuff done to it, I got it in Nov. the grips are metal the clutch side is held on by set screws. My guess is I’ll need a new sleeve for the throttle. Do you happen to have a link for the grips you got?

also anyone have any ideas for risers? Went on a 65 mile ride yesterday and my back was a little sore after. Thanks!

#8 ·
Here is a link of a set that includes the grip sleeve & palm rest which is pretty handy.
I have not changed the grips on my Shadow yet but did install a set like these on a 2012 Yamaha Raider that I owned for a couple yrs. This link does not say anything about including glue so you may have to provide your own. Make sure when you slide them on that you have them oriented where you want them the first time as you don't have much time to adjust once they are on with the glue.

#9 · (Edited)
I've got a set a those KratorGrips, got mine from amazon, same low price. Ya they.re cheap, but not bad! Good for 2-3 seasons, rubber will scuff with age - but they're easy replacements! Note, they include the whole double cable throtle twist tube and grip is allready glued on! Just remove the old whole grip & tube from the cables, and reattach the new ISO lookAlikes... the other side just pulls(mussels off) and new slides on...
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics

And Yes the KratorGrips may slip/rotate on the throttle sleeve or bar in summer heat.
No prob, just get some 3M super Weather strip Adhesive from Wally(Walmart - like $3), then twist/pull the old grip off the sleeve, clean out any crud, apply new 3M strip adhesive(OnTheSleeve/Bar) & shove/twist on the the cleaned out old grip...
3M Weather strip Adhesive IS Good Grip Adhesive!!!
Those KratorGrips aint bad for cheap grips - I'll get another yr out outa mine, that'll make 3 yrs b4 havin to put on a new $23 set. They are a comfortable grip & look good till they start gettin scuffed up...
Plus an Easy install (and/or Adhesive if needed)
Don't wory bout the slippin on sleve or bar, if it starts to slip then it will also slip & twist off easily too. Then put on the Good adhesive...

(Dont put the Adhesive down in the Grip - it just gets pushed down into the end of the Grip and Goo's' the sleeve onto the bar, FUBARing the throtle return responce!
Put the adhesive on the sleeve or bar, allow a minute or so for the adhesive to just start to set, then smoothly twist the grip on - Let set till next morn, Your Set, No Slip!

#10 ·
I also have the ones like ZekeMan linked in his reply. The palm rest REALLY makes a difference, especially on longer rides. It's actually more than a palm rest, pressure from your palm keeps the throttle open taking stress off of the rest of your hand and fingers IMO. I don't know how long they have been on the bike but I will say the rubber is starting to shrink showing a red underlayment, but their still firmly on there. If I replace them, it will be with the same type (palm rest). I've been reborn to ride again also after a 3 year hiatus. 2009 Shadow Aero 750. I picked it up 3 months ago with 1542 miles. It looks and rides like new (stored inside covered) but slowly going over everything, it is 13 years old after all. The inside of the tank was a SERIOUS RUSTY MESS, replaced all hoses, rebuilt carb etc. Now the front caliper is sticking. This forum has been a big help. Beautiful ride you have!

#11 ·
Thanks! I love it so far. Great to be riding again. I just found some “open box” Kuryakyn ISOs on Amazon for 50% so I ordered them. $44. Free returns if I’m not pleased.

Another question I have though. Risers for the ‘08 any advice? I think I only need about 2 inches, nothing crazy.I really don’t wanna redo all the cables. Just a bit…my back was. Little sore after 65 miles. Links appreciated…thanks so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.