Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1983 vt750c in black 25k miles exported to the uk in 2000 non runner since 2009 now resurrected
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
A few weeks ago I managed to buy an 1983 vt750c it's the first version with 1 exhaust each side. Imported from the USA in the year 2000.
The bikes been under a duvet in a heated garage for 13 years non running.

Two full days and it's up and running, I found the forum easily so thought I'd join the fun and learn more about this intriguing nearly 40 year old bike.

Be cool to try and find some of its USA history before it exported like what state its from etc, it's not california as it doesn't have the extra emission pipes etc.
Cheers

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
Welcome, have fun with your new toy!
Yes the 1983 was the first V twin 750 Shadow, and for the next few years the government put a tarriff on import bikes over 750 cc, so Honda dropped to 700 cc until 1988 when they came out with a 800cc, when the tarriff was lifted.
Other countries got the 750 all those years however.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
You can get the factory service manual here that these good folks have provided.
Study it well because you know there is always a test o_O

· Registered
1983 vt750c in black 25k miles exported to the uk in 2000 non runner since 2009 now resurrected
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum from West Chester, PA. Share some pics, we love pics.
Incoming
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Had a nice little ride yesterday, what a sweet little bike. I only didn't go too quick as after 12 years it might need a little nursing but it runs smooth like a sewing machine.
I've done the oil, filter, plugs, brakes, final drive oil, clutch fluid and tyres so far. 👍

edit I also had the carbs off, cleaned them up and then balanced them. Both starter jets were blocked as were the pilots.

Nice and easy to work on

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Beautiful. Way more power than the newer Shadows as well. What tyres are those? I like the look of the tread.
Hi there
The tyres are Avon cobra chrome and yeah look a bit spicy! They have a little snake right round where the chicken strips should be. A lot of riders the local meet up have swapped to them as the tyres on their harleys and gold wings were getting old and hard hefore they wore out so they swapped to these as they are a bit softer and give a really planted feel to the bike.

I can't say really as I've only done 20 miles on the new steed and it's my first cruiser in 35 years of riding but they felt ultra smooth on the highway.

More power you say, I thought it felt more than 44 on the butt dyno 😀 , how many do I have?

· Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
603 Posts
Hi there
The tyres are Avon cobra chrome and yeah look a bit spicy! They have a little snake right rough where the chicken strips should be. A lot of riders the local meet up have swapped to them as the tyres on their harleys and gold wings were getting old and hard hefore they wore out so they swapped to these as they are a bit softer and give a really planted feel to the bike.

I can't say really as I've only done 20 miles on the new steed and it's my first cruiser in 35 years of riding but they felt ultra smooth on the highway.

More power you say, I thought it felt more than 44 on the butt dyno 😀 , how many do I have?
Skid_mark - Welcome to the forum from Chandler, Arizona 🌵
What a great looking ride and love that she has a factory tachometer!
You did a great job bringing her back to life (y)

So much better looking than our newer Shadows made after the great tachometer purges of the 90's/00's
Next thing, you'll probably be telling us all that she has a center-stand ;)

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ive noticed I'm missing the bit off the front that has the honda badge on, looks like it plugs in that black rubber gromet.
This puppy
Font Gas Rectangle Beige Natural material

There isn't one in whole of the UK!

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts