Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2003 Honda Shadow Sabre. Bought it last spring with just over 31,000 miles on it. Had a K&N air filter in it when I bought it, but everything else is stock. I live in Wyoming (riding daily between 5,000 - 5,400 ft ASL) and bought it from a place in Nebraska (around 3,200 ft). All summer I was getting annoyed with it backfiring and popping on deceleration, so this fall I took the carbs out and cleaned them with a large about of carb cleaner, and replaced all the rings and seals with a kit from the local Honda dealer. I also cleaned and checked the Air Cutoff Valves and everything looked good there.

After reading through this and several other threads about jet settings, I ordered a jet kit from carbjetkits.com that was recommended by their jet kit calculator. I received it the other day and it came with a 195, 190, and 185 main jets as well as two 45 slow jets and 4 needle shims. I need your help figuring out which set up I should try for my elevation. None of you on here seem to run anything higher than a 185 main (many run smaller). Should I just try the 45 slow jets first and see how she runs? Of course, it's now in the single digits outside so I won't be able to try anything out until spring, but any help and advice on where to start would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. This question will get better answers in the Technical section, so get your three threads posted and re ask it there. I'm not an expert on this, but had the same problem when I went to Yellowstone last year. I was told the problem can be solved by adjusting the A/F mixture. I didn't try that because I was only at altitude for a couple of days. At any rate, good luck with this. I'll follow the topic to see what advise you get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts