Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have just acquired a 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre. But ... it was an unusual deal. The bike was under 6 feet of water ! Not just any water, but river water, with mud.

So I got the bike home this past Saturday, disassembled the seat, back rest pad, gas tank, air filter, battery, speedo, wind screen, and some of the covers under the tank.

Then blasted the mud off.

I also drained the gas tank, gas looked good (to my surprise).

looks like the speedo will have to be replaced, mud stains on the face.

So I'm making a list of what I will need for the restoration. Pics to follow soon (before and after).

Don

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
welcome,,.although it may be too late since ya done went and washed it..but hopefully you took pics of it b4..we love pics..and this sounds like you got a project..so post some pics.of b4 and after you get her cleaned up and going,if ya can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a couple of pics before the mud was removed. I'll get them up soon.

I have to get the oil drained and I would like to squirt some mystery oil into the cylinders and get them to turn over. I don't know yet if they took on water.

I had to disassemble the backrest pad. The foam inside is just like a sponge and would have never dried out.

The headlight was half full of water, that's now empty.

Yea, it will be a project but I don't see why I can't get it to run again (positive attitude required).

btw - this is my first Honda, previous bike was a 83 Virago 920.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
donimbimbo's bike pic

oh wow,that thing IS muddy...but,its washable..hope you dont have to do too much to it to get it back to good condition..i dont think the motor should be any problems if it wasnt running and nothing apart on it,ie plugs out of it to let water inside the motor,i may be wrong though,...maybe have to replace fuse panel and a cpl other things but hopefully you get it goin again..cant wait to see the end results...keep us posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making progress. I think I Will have to disassemble the seat to get the foam to dry. It's still squishy.

Pulled the plugs last night, will drain the oil today. Got an Owners and Maint Manual on order.

Disassembled the speedo and cleaned up the face an trip odometer digits. Lots of mud in there.

I'm just hoping the carbs are clean and no water in the engine, above the pistons.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Talk about back from the grave! Howd you get the concrete shoes off her? Har har. Cant wait to hear more about this one. Thankfully its a Honda, and you know will eventually run as good as new. Cheers mate, good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.