Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site (just registered a little while ago). I have a question about my transmission. I just bought a '96 Shadow VT1100C from a friend of mine last week. Last time he ran it was about 3 months ago. After fixing a problem with the start button, and getting it started and 'aired out'. I went to test drive it. It drove but the trans was slipping a little. Shut it off and after a while checked the oil (again). it was a bit low. So I topped it off, but now it won't drive at all. I squeeze the clutch, and can hear and feel the bike go into gear, it just won't go when I release the clutch. I checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder and it's fine. Any suggestions? (sorry for the novel)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It's sounds to me like a bad clutch or the wrong kind of oil in the engine (wrong oil will cause the clutch to slip)
+1, sounds to me it's one of the two....or both, now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate it everyone. After posting the first question, I went back out to the bike to check one other thing. I started squeezing the clutch handle and listening...I could hear a squishing sound where the line meets the clutch housing. I'm starting to think maybe the line needs to be bled. My roommate (the guy I bought it from) said he replaced an o-ring on the other side of the clutch, but couldn't remember if he bled it. I think it has air in the line, and that first ride the other day pushed the air into the clutch housing. Going to bleed it a little later today. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
So when you release the clutch with it in gear the clutch slips?

If so I'm sorry to say but its not your hydraulic clutch thats the problem. If you were unable to disengage the clutch with the lever pulled than it would be the problem.

You may be right that your Hyd clutch needs a fluid change and bleed, but its not going to fix your slipping clutch....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fixed it guys, thanks a lot. I bled out the entire clutch line till there was nothing but new fluid coming out. And man was there some crud in there! there was one piece that was pretty big. I can only assume that this piece of crud got caught where the line runs into the unit. Once I bled it all out, it's been running fine. Again, I thank all of you that replied. Ride on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts