Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode in mid 40's and wind gusts of over 35MPH to get my new front Metzler put on. 62 miles round trip and it was pretty brisk in that wind.
Anyway, I now have Metzler 880's front and back! One thing I noticed was that if I turn loose of the handle bars I have no wobble now!! Yea I know you are not supposed to do that but I wanted to see if that would cure the wobble and it did! The stock front dunlop had 10,350 miles on it and I am sure the Metzler will get a lot more than that!
I did watch them install and when they were done I noticed the speedo hub was not correct. They put it back together with it turned to far and had the cable stretched too much. They straightened it right out and I was on my way. I don't know if this was a good deal or not but the new tire installed was $140. 43. When they put the rear on last summer it was $156.50 and I gave the tech a $40.00 tip because he didn't make me make an appointment or leave the bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have metzlers in the rear and dunlops in the front not by choice but because I cant get the fronts in WW from Metzler. I have a front end wobble also and after checking rim trueness and axles and bearings , its gotta be because the Dunlops are out of round .

·
Registered
622 Posts
What a coincidence. I had ME880's put on my 750 Aero this week, both front and back. I got 13,700 miles out of the stock Dunlops. I have about 50 miles on the new tires and the only thing I have found is that when I ride over some kind of grove in the pavement that is parallel to the direction of travel, the bike doesn't do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.

Bruce

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the Metzeler ME880 Marathon radial rear tire on my Ace Tourer. It was put on new the day that I bought the bike. That was at 18k miles and I now have over 30k miles total. With 12K + on the tire, I still have 1/3 of the available tread left. I'll likely replace it around 15-16k miles and would go with this tire again. I'm all for the extra puncture resistance that the steel belt offers also. My other choice would be the Dunlop Elite3 radial.

Stan

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have my Metzelers at the shop waiting to go on, although I still am waiting on the paint work our painters have had all summer.

You got a decent deal. I bought my tires at cost as a dealer, and it seems like they cut you a good deal on the labor for a simple tire change (a good idea for shop on the easy stuff because it can build loyalty for when they are needed for the hard stuff).

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
All I hear are good things about 880's. I have Avon Venoms on my bike and the only reason is that at the time they were a smidge cheaper and the compound is a smidge stickier and I'm big into traction.

The wiggle you mentioned is the reason I got rid of the Dunlops. The Dunlops seemed determined to track every surface imperfection in the road which always bothered me. I really dislike indistinct/floating feedback on the bars. The Avons helped a great deal and I imagne the 880's do likewise.

I'm not sure you'll get more mileage from the 880's because the Dunlop compound is fairly hard. The 880's and Venoms are softer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.