Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New at the motorcycle thing.. but my knowledge of classic cars tells me that if the idle goes up after replacing with a stock air filter replacement, then perhaps I need to adjust the air/fuel ratio rather than just adjusting the idle speed? Now i don't know what the previous owner had done to keep her running at idle, richen the mix or just increased the idle... what would you check first? (2000 VT600 VLX Deluxe). Riding prefomrance feels instantly better than before, just a little high idle...

THanks!

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Adjust it with your idle knob. Only adjust the a/f screws to change the mixture. Then check plugs after you run it a bit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You haven't given enough information. What air filter was in it? Has the exhaust ever been changed? Was it ever rejetted for any reason? The A/F screw may have vibrated around, and be out of adjustment. So could the idle screw. On a motorcycle engine, think more small engine. Rich will help you start better, but to low of an idle,and it may not want to stay running when cold. hope this helps some......

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On a carb motor idle wont raise from freer flowing air. It lacks the O2 sensor that would allow the ECU to dump more fuel in.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
New at the motorcycle thing.. but my knowledge of classic cars tells me that if the idle goes up after replacing with a stock air filter replacement, then perhaps I need to adjust the air/fuel ratio rather than just adjusting the idle speed? Now i don't know what the previous owner had done to keep her running at idle, richen the mix or just increased the idle... what would you check first? (2000 VT600 VLX Deluxe). Riding prefomrance feels instantly better than before, just a little high idle...

THanks!
Use the idle adjustment thumb screw to adjust the idle speed lower. The previous owner may have bumped up the idle speed to compensate for the dirty air filter. Keep it simple. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it was a very dirty stock air filter. previous owner had replacd the stock exhaust with free flowinf cobra exhaust, and rejetted the carb. once replacing the dirty filter with a brand new stock filter, the idle speed increased... i liken it to having the choke slightly open - carb getting more air making it idle higher? i'll try the idle screw first. Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
New at the motorcycle thing.. but my knowledge of classic cars tells me that if the idle goes up after replacing with a stock air filter replacement, then perhaps I need to adjust the air/fuel ratio rather than just adjusting the idle speed?
What you need to adjust is the maintenance schedule. That old air filter must have been pretty crusty to bring down your idle speed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you need to adjust is the maintenance schedule. That old air filter must have been pretty crusty to bring down your idle speed!
HA! I just bought the bike a couple months ago and getting through all the maintenance as time allows. Previous owner let it sit in the driveway for 3 years - imagine the cobwebs... I will be keeping the recommended maintenance schedule from now on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HA! I just bought the bike a couple months ago and getting through all the maintenance as time allows. Previous owner let it sit in the driveway for 3 years - imagine the cobwebs... I will be keeping the recommended maintenance schedule from now on.
If you have not read it yet I would recommend the "Storology" thread.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I think you are doing everything right and if the bike had been left for 3 years with all sorts of muck getting in the air filter the engine speed would slow down.. you can prove this by covering the inlet to the filter with a rag, the engine will probably stop..

Just carry on the way you are and ride as much as you can, read any advice on the forum for information, things to look at are oilology for the oil type, replace brake shoes and pads because they are cheap, replace the hydraulic fluid with DOT4 because it is old, new tires for the same reason, Avon Venoms are very good, and buy a service manual so that next winter you can change the fork seals and oil.

New tires on a motorcycle should be scrubbed in, to do this you take the bike out for a long run, plan about 200 dry miles, start off keeping the bike to safe speeds and as upright as you can for the first 100 miles, then slowly lean into the curves so that the worn bit shares the road surface with the unworn bit, gradually increase the lean as the worn area increases and by the time you finish the ride you will have a very safe bike that will grip the road in most weather..

Don't worry you won't run out of road in your country.

John.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't have years of experience like so many here, but I'd say, if the only thing you changed was the filter, and the idle speed went up, then the filter was pretty dirty. I'd ride it and check the fuel mileage. You might find it surprisingly good! If you think the idle is a little high, go ahead and lower it some.

My question would be, if the filter was clogged enough to choke the engine at idle, HOW DID IT RUN AT HIGHER RPM?!!!! Must've been a pig! (no disrespect, of course!). :D

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I just noticed that you have spoked wheels, I have contacted Avon about this and they say venoms are ok to use with spoked wheels and tubes, but on my spoked bike I use Michelin Commander ll's, no matter what condition the tubes are in replace them with the tires, (tires for use on spoked wheels are marked TT and tubeless tires are marked TL) also replace the rim bands, When you buy the tubes remember that you are going to have to inflate and check the pressures so I suggest you get a right angle valve or adaptor.

John.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Check your fork oil and seals. Your forks look heavily pitted. That is bad for the seals. This one looks like it spent some time outside ...
Yep, OP says it was outside for 3 yrs in a driveway, don't know if covered or not. Either way the forks need attention and maintenance ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, not covered in the driveway - there is a fair amount of surface rust and pitting...

you guys called it... one fork seal is blown. the fork tube is pitted. I've got all parts for the fork rebuild with progressive spring upgrade, and have brand new Michelline Commander II tires sitting in my living room as we speak. Brake shoes and pads on the way. So far i've only done the oil, air cleaner, coolant - problem is I don't; have the space to work on it except once a week at my friends house so the work is slow, but doesn't stop me from riding.

air filter was dirty as hell, but rode really nice at high speeds. all in all i was surprised when she fired right up like a champ after all that time sitting there, and has been a pleasure to ride.. i can't go a day without it.

thanks for all the guidance!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.