Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new "cruiser" guy here. I'm coming over from streetbikes and supermotos. I just looked at a '97 VT600C bobber and put a deposit on it. Motor has around 30k on it. Owner bought it two years ago and hasn't checked valves but mentioned plugs are pretty new as is the oil. I plan to change plugs, oil, and maybe coolant as well within a few weeks of picking it up (this Sunday).

Bike ran pretty good. Idle was fine, throttle response seemed good as well. The only issue I saw was when I was in in gear and riding, if I gave the throttle a good pull the bike would move fine. If I continued and gave it full throttle it seemed to stutter a bit. It only happened on full throttle. I'm thinking coming from street bikes, maybe the revs were too high for that gear? This only happened at full throttle mind you. I could rip through each gear and the bike would respond very quickly. Only if I increased to full throttle while riding at a pretty quick speed would it stutter (maybe hesitate is a better word).

I figured it could be plugs, bad gas, jetting, or air filter. Air filter is one of those velocity stack things. It has pipes on it, but not sure what kind and I believe it is stock jetting. Cruisers are very new to me so I have a bunch to learn.

Owner said he rides it all the time. Never had any issues with it and it has never left him stranded. From what I saw I would tend to agree. I've never had a bike with this kind of mileage on it before so i'm trying to figure out preventative maintenance for it.

Tranny shifted well and was firm with no popping out of gear. Brakes were good with a bit of a squeal from the rear drum upon use.

I only have two or three weeks left of riding then it gets stored for the winter. Anything I should look at checking or replacing this winter besides what I already mentioned I was going to?

I look forward to learning a bunch.

Thanks!

Pic of bike after my ride.

When I can I will also pose these questions in the technical section.

Here is a link from his ad showing a quick clip of the bike riding. It sounds really nice in person.

Kurts bobber - YouTube

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like your on the right path....I'm newer to the shadow, but I have built 6 or 7 bobbers and cafe racers. I would check the carbs and what kinds Jets are in them. You may need a size bigger or jet kit. Sometimes just an mixture adjustment is needed. I would give the bike a complete tune up over the winter. Oil, Antifreeze, Air filter, Stabil in the gas etc.....but then again I have no clue what kind of pipes those are so? It may be as basic as a carb clean and adjustments....check this out as a reference....
Motorcycle Jet Kits & Carburetion Basics - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
good lookin' bob.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey new "cruiser" guy here. I'm coming over from streetbikes and supermotos. I just looked at a '97 VT600C bobber and put a deposit on it. Motor has around 30k on it. Owner bought it two years ago and hasn't checked valves but mentioned plugs are pretty new as is the oil. I plan to change plugs, oil, and maybe coolant as well within a few weeks of picking it up (this Sunday).

Bike ran pretty good. Idle was fine, throttle response seemed good as well. The only issue I saw was when I was in in gear and riding, if I gave the throttle a good pull the bike would move fine. If I continued and gave it full throttle it seemed to stutter a bit. It only happened on full throttle. I'm thinking coming from street bikes, maybe the revs were too high for that gear? This only happened at full throttle mind you. I could rip through each gear and the bike would respond very quickly. Only if I increased to full throttle while riding at a pretty quick speed would it stutter (maybe hesitate is a better word).

I figured it could be plugs, bad gas, jetting, or air filter. Air filter is one of those velocity stack things. It has pipes on it, but not sure what kind and I believe it is stock jetting. Cruisers are very new to me so I have a bunch to learn.

Owner said he rides it all the time. Never had any issues with it and it has never left him stranded. From what I saw I would tend to agree. I've never had a bike with this kind of mileage on it before so i'm trying to figure out preventative maintenance for it.

Tranny shifted well and was firm with no popping out of gear. Brakes were good with a bit of a squeal from the rear drum upon use.

I only have two or three weeks left of riding then it gets stored for the winter. Anything I should look at checking or replacing this winter besides what I already mentioned I was going to?

I look forward to learning a bunch.

Thanks!

Pic of bike after my ride.

When I can I will also pose these questions in the technical section.

Here is a link from his ad showing a quick clip of the bike riding. It sounds really nice in person.

Kurts bobber - YouTube

Sure you're not bumpin the rev limiter? Nice scoot there scooter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Not much i'm going to change style wise. Have a few ideas.

As for possibly hitting the limiter, at what RPM does it cut in at?

I don't think I hit it in 4th as I don't think I was at highway speeds. I would assume the bike would be good to around at least 80-90mph or so. Am I correct in this assumption?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.