Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have enjoyed all the great posts here for some time.
After much delay I have finally jumped in and bought a beatiful used bike.

2001 1100 Areo with 14 k miles
- V & H Longshots ( no baffles )
- Stage 1 kit
- Cobra lightbar

My question is - what is the one mod that I cannot live without ??
What is your favorite for looks or performance ??

Thanks for all the great advice in this forum !

Doggie

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my Spirit 750 it was pipes and a seat. Since you already have pipes, I'd say get a Mustang seat. Your butt will thank you.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Riding lessons.
Good gear.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
Doggie,
I'm gonna' have to agree with Spirit750Bill on this one......
My Mustang Wide Nostalgic saddle was ((((By Far)))) one of the best investments!

Pre-Mustang if I could do 50 miles without giving my butt a well deserved break, it would have been considered a good ride.
Now, with the Mustang saddle...........the only limitations to how long I can ride are hunger, thirst, fuel and my other riding buddies who don't have have Mustang saddles on thier bikes.
Phil

·
Registered
270 Posts
doggie62 said:
Hi all - I have enjoyed all the great posts here for some time.
After much delay I have finally jumped in and bought a beatiful used bike.

2001 1100 Areo with 14 k miles
- V & H Longshots ( no baffles )
- Stage 1 kit
- Cobra lightbar

My question is - what is the one mod that I cannot live without ??
What is your favorite for looks or performance ??

Thanks for all the great advice in this forum !

Doggie
You have the same bike I have ( and wheres your pics btw? )
You covered the very first mods I had to have already . The other thing I put on was the Memphis Fats 19 in shield. Its debatable if it adds to the look or not but let me tell you after having it on I hate riding without it .

For looks - Chrome side covers - extremely hard to find , Honda disc making them so Ebay is your first choice - expect to pay around 150 on up to 300 for them . They are plastic .
Chrome neck covers?
Engine guards?

If you check out crusiercustomizing ( google it ) you can do a search by model and then also check out other 1100 Aero owners pics and see what they have listed. They also allow pro or con reviews by owners which is a good thing , lots of things I passed on due to the neg reviews. Theres still quite of bit of addons but its a very finite list , some items are not being made anymore since our bikes aren't also .

Welcome to the Aero club :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since my first two choices have already been stated (new seat and riding classes), another great comfort mod to consider is heated grips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use mine for commuting back and forth to work, and absolutely would be lost without a set of saddlebags to carry stuff in. Of course, the windshield comes in a close second to the bags.

·
Registered
236 Posts
highway pegs, vista Cruise Throttle Lock, lazyrider (back/backrest), windshield w/ lowers. That makes for a distance riding monster.

·
Registered
658 Posts
chornbe clambakes it.

After that, a new seat is a no-brainer. The stock seat is terrible. If you plan to actually ride it, a GOOD seat is imperative.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Phil said:
Doggie,
I'm gonna' have to agree with Spirit750Bill on this one......
My Mustang Wide Nostalgic saddle was ((((By Far)))) one of the best investments!

Pre-Mustang if I could do 50 miles without giving my butt a well deserved break, it would have been considered a good ride.
Now, with the Mustang saddle...........the only limitations to how long I can ride are hunger, thirst, fuel and my other riding buddies who don't have have Mustang saddles on thier bikes.
Phil
+1, although I'd have to include the back rest to go along with the seat. My back has thanked me endlessly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
add

#1 for me was a drivers back rest I have a stock seat but with the back rest I have at least doubled my mileage before the bottom says stop. You can get one for as little as 125.00 from protec .Mine is a bakup because of the leather lyke bags. JM 750

·
Registered
9 Posts
My bike came with pipes so the first mod I bought was engine guards. A year later I was happy I did. Alot of people don't like the way they look, but if you ever need them you will thank me. They will save your bike, paint job and not to mention your legs. You can always add hwy pegs to them.

Sherri

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm surprised no one has sent you a pic of the UPS girl. You'll be getting to know her.

Beck

·
Registered
710 Posts
Seat, good riding gear, & engine guards.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: add

jmagna 750 said:
#1 for me was a drivers back rest I have a stock seat but with the back rest I have at least doubled my mileage before the bottom says stop. You can get one for as little as 125.00 from protec .Mine is a bakup because of the leather lyke bags. JM 750
Do you have a link for that backrest? I googled it and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: add

Do you have a link for that backrest? I googled it and couldn't find it.[/quote]
ditto - thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
612 Posts
Has anyone mentioned a windshield, oh yea, a great big one. One big enough to make you feel like you're in a convertable.
And a radio, yea that's it. A radio.
And a helmet. A great big full faced helmet that will make you look like a lolli-pop when seen from a distance.
And a really (I mean REALLY) bright colored set of riding gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or on 2nd thought, maybe all you need at this point is a pair of fuzzy dice to hang from your handle bars.

What ever you choose, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Big Al

1 - 20 of 30 Posts