Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am thinking I would like a new paintjob on a AREO 1100 but
I have no idea what the cost of a new paintjob would be.
I realize the price can range based on design and artwork but I am thinking of just changing color with no " special " graphics.

Any price range I should be looking at ??

Thanks for the input.

doggie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input everyone.
I realize it is a very broad range but I had no idea what a starting point even was.

Thanks for the input and I will be sure to keep you posted.

doggie

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dawn knows her stuff!

If you are strapped on cash and willing to take a "risk". I have had buddies use the metal shop at one of our local high schools. They charge only the cost of paint & tape and then you can donate to the program if you choose. The work that I have seen them do is pretty good, but not professional like you would expect from a true professional. I also think that it is pretty neat because it gives the kids a great opportunity to work on something fun and learn truely marketable skills at an early age. If I were to get paint anytime soon this is the rout that I would probably take. I just personally shouldn't spend $1,000+ on painting my $4,500 bike. However, I have much respect for those that have custom painted their shadows.

·
Registered
225 Posts
as a guy who's been building custom cars for more than half his life (an odd trick for a 31 yr old who didn't come from a "car building family"....i'm amazed by how much people will charge to do basic paint jobs on bike tins.

basically, you're talking about 3 to 5 pieces (tank, fenders, maybe side covers) that need to be painted.

on top of that, none of those pieces are bigger than a standard car's hood, and rarely do they require any metal working.

but people have no problem charging a grand for a tank and two fenders, in an area where a comparable auto job might go for $600.

if you are wanting a basic color change (ie....my bike is black, and i wish it were white), you can save yourself a ton of cash, doing all the hard stuff yourself, and having a professional painter spray the color.

you can pull, clean, and prep the parts yourself. that is a huge part of bike paint labor, pulling all the parts to be painted off the bike.

once the parts are prepped, you can take them your local "in and out" paint shop (earl scheibs or maaco, you know the places). those guys do nothing but shoot paint, and they are usually pretty damn good at it. the way they can paint your car for $199.95 is because they don't do any real prep and they use a basic single stage enamel paint. but most of those shops offer "upgrade" packages (along with collision repair), so they deal mostly in the more common two (or more) stage urethanes.

if you take properly prepped tins to them to shoot, and you reassemble your bike, after they are done with it, you could probably get a high quality basic color change down to less than $300 in most areas. (bike bits don't take nearly as much paint or masking material as any car does)

obviously, if you want a ton of custom airbrushing, painted pinstriping, or complex graphics, or even a frame/tins job, you're gonna pay for it. and you'll probably pay thru the nose for a crappy job (not knocking anyone here, i'm just relaying my own experiences with "talented airbrush artists".)

but since your original post said you were looking for a basic color change, any decent body shop should be able to quote you a reasonable price (400-700), provided you bring them cleaned tins, and not the whole bike. you make them turn wreches on your bike, and you are going to pay them about $75 and hour to do it.

but, as with everything else....the more you do....the less you have to pay someone else to do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To Psychoboy:

The reason bike painting often costs so much more than you obviously expect it to is directly related to the level of scrutiny that the paint work must live up to. I've never looked at a Sedan or minivan and wondered why the driver puts up with the fact their paint job doesn't look like glass...or why the colors aren't sprayed perfectly even.

But I do wonder this when I see a poorly painted bike.

Smaller surfaces get more scrutiny. A tank and fenders will get noticed when it isn't done right because people have a tendency to look closer...as well as the fact that the rider sits right in front of one of the major painted pieces.

At Skunkworx, we do cars also...but only SHOW QUALITY cars. We don't do the cheapo maaco jobs, because we won't take pride in that work. When we paint a car, it is usually a car that is worth more than most homes...so those people don't want a $500 paint job...they want the quality that $10,000+ will get them.

As with most things...you get what you pay for.

Check out www.skunkworxcc.com. Our bikes don't win the top awards in the industry without their paint.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ShadowOSU said:
To Psychoboy:

The reason bike painting often costs so much more than you obviously expect it to is directly related to the level of scrutiny that the paint work must live up to. I've never looked at a Sedan or minivan and wondered why the driver puts up with the fact their paint job doesn't look like glass...or why the colors aren't sprayed perfectly even.

But I do wonder this when I see a poorly painted bike.

Smaller surfaces get more scrutiny. A tank and fenders will get noticed when it isn't done right because people have a tendency to look closer...as well as the fact that the rider sits right in front of one of the major painted pieces.

At Skunkworx, we do cars also...but only SHOW QUALITY cars. We don't do the cheapo maaco jobs, because we won't take pride in that work. When we paint a car, it is usually a car that is worth more than most homes...so those people don't want a $500 paint job...they want the quality that $10,000+ will get them.

As with most things...you get what you pay for.

Check out www.skunkworxcc.com. Our bikes don't win the top awards in the industry without their paint.
when I got my bike back , there was a slight buildup of paint on the lower part of the tank where it connects near the seat . As you said , bikes get scrutinized more closely . I couldnt live with that paint buildup and the painter said no problem and repainted my tank for no other charge.
Anyone that looks at my paint always slides the back of their hands over it slightly to feel how smooth it . And its smooth :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts